So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ChinaMex

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby ChinaMex » Fri May 14, 2010 10:50 am

This thread is amazing! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that would describe my job as "soul crushing." Reading this thread is like playing "Eye of the tiger" over and over to psych me up to tell my boss today that I'm leaving June 30th. I work in a 3 person startup so I'm assuming my boss is going to take it personally.

The conversation with my boss this afternoon is going to be mighty awkward. I was hired in January for a developmental position and took on a project that would take about 3 years to fully develop. Some say I shouldn't have taken the position but as I really put my heart into it for 6 months (and I have bills to pay haha), I don't think I cheated the company out of anything; plus it's business not a relationship. Also, my boss is a paranoid selfish douche so he'll probably be saying "Why are you doing this to me?!"

My end date has become so important in my life I use it like the Gregorian Calendar uses Christ's death. It's like my marker for dates haha. Oh Father's day? That's 10 days before my quit day. Forth of July is 4 days after my quit day. Anyway, it's quite nice to have other people who can't stop thinking about the day they can take their fax machine out to pasture.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri May 14, 2010 10:51 am

Anyone else quitting soon and hasn't indicated anything to their superiors? How much notice are you giving?

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Fri May 14, 2010 10:53 am

JCougar wrote:My end date has become so important in my life I use it like the Gregorian Calendar uses Christ's death. It's like my marker for dates haha.

+1. I sit in planning meetings and any time they talk about anything going on after July I start grinning like crazy and mentally drift away. Major event coming up end of year, you say? Have fun with THAT, bitches!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:58 am

ChinaMex wrote:My end date has become so important in my life I use it like the Gregorian Calendar uses Christ's death. It's like my marker for dates haha. Oh Father's day? That's 10 days before my quit day. Forth of July is 4 days after my quit day.

bahaha I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this!

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Fri May 14, 2010 11:28 am

JCougar wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Here's the only counseling that will actually help with that kind of problem. :wink:

And that's coming from someone with an advanced degree in psychology.

I know it lady. But the day is just so long...

Not a lady. :)

whoops! my bad J, I never looked at your profile. I guess I assumed because I so related to your plight.

About the lighting in my office... the one good thing about my position is that I sit by a conference room that has a giant gorgeous view of the downtown San Diego bay.

The downside to that is that I wind up staring longingly at the happy people floating by in pretty little sail boats, wishing I could be outdoors and feeling like a real living breathing person.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:42 am

MC Southstar wrote:Anyone else quitting soon and hasn't indicated anything to their superiors? How much notice are you giving?

Two weeks.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:17 pm

MC Southstar wrote:Anyone else quitting soon and hasn't indicated anything to their superiors? How much notice are you giving?

I think it really depends on the volume of work and pending projects you have. My team is extremely busy and borderline understaffed & I have a few long-term projects pending, so I gave 2 months' notice. If your workplace isn't too busy, two weeks should be fine.

OrcinusOrcas

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Sat May 15, 2010 2:38 am

Doing some late night I-can't-sleep-yet YouTube-ing, and thought of this thread when I saw this. Enjoy = )

--LinkRemoved--

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat May 15, 2010 2:52 am

I'll be staying at Old Navy until the last possible moment. Finances are tight so I need to save up money for my second deposit, U-Haul, new laptop, etc. Plus I kinda like working because I really have nothing else to do than read TLS in my spare time.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Sat May 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Anyone secretly hoping to be fired to they get unemployment and to COBRA their health insurance?

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:00 pm

HazelEyes wrote:Anyone secretly hoping to be fired to they get unemployment and to COBRA their health insurance?

Been trying for months to no avail.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat May 15, 2010 11:05 pm

HazelEyes wrote:Anyone secretly hoping to be fired to they get unemployment and to COBRA their health insurance?

temporary gov't contracts ftw.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Sun May 16, 2010 12:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Been trying for months to no avail.

I'm with you, but appears that they love having good, cheap labor around too much.

msesquire2b

Postby msesquire2b » Sun May 16, 2010 12:57 am

I want to quit my job right now, but I have to stay for the next two months to save some more money. I am counting down week by week, and day by day!! I HATE MY JOB!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun May 16, 2010 1:12 am

I make $8.00 an hour at a pizza place. I had someone hand me money today, then hand me another quarter--smile, and say "That'll make the change $10.19." I responded that she would really maximize her mariginal utility by getting the combo meal, to which husband responded, "Well somebody must be getting ready to go to college."

Please for the love of God, BigLaw by the time I'm 23.

Logjik

Postby Logjik » Sun May 16, 2010 9:27 am

It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

:wink:

OrcinusOrcas

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Sun May 16, 2010 10:23 am

Logjik wrote:It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

I work a near-min-wage retail job, so the above really, really, really does not apply to me at all. Yes, being a lawyer will be different than taking someone's order, working at a pizza joint, or being at a cash register.

Even if I were doing something, say, more "real world" -ish (like engineering, biz management, etc) I can still see how I would be miserable. Honestly, I think it's all about your perspective. If being a lawyer is what you really want, what seems tedious and dull to others may be your mental playground and jobs that share many characteristics of legal work can still make you miserable because it's not the field you actually want.

I agree that law should be something you pursue because you want to be a lawyer, not because you hate your current job; that being said, I think a lot of people here (like me) decided to pursue law long before they held these jobs that they hate so passionately but are now stuck for whatever reason (need more money, filling a gap year, etc) and are just trying to ride out these last few months of waiting without going off the deep end. Personally, I've been working toward law school for six years, and I've only been at my job for three, so the job obviously isn't the reason I'm going and I'm not avoiding the "real world". I think it's unfair to imply that the reason we're going to LS is because we hate our jobs and that our decision is not based on genuinely wanting to be in the profession. Of course, it's a valuable point to bring up for those who did decide that way.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Sun May 16, 2010 12:37 pm

I think a lot of people here (like me) decided to pursue law long before they held these jobs that they hate so passionately but are now stuck for whatever reason (need more money, filling a gap year, etc) and are just trying to ride out these last few months of waiting without going off the deep end.

+1000000000. I never intended to be at my current job for years - I always knew it was just a temporary bridge (to pay bills, etc) until getting back to school. Sure, many legal jobs require long hours and can cause a lot of frustration, but I would rather be doing something I like and hopefully have a chance at making some reasonable money, rather than wasting the best years of my life in some middle management hell hole with limited prospects for advancement.

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Sun May 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Logjik wrote:It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

True, legal jobs can be hellish, too, but if you're working retail or some minimum-wage job, as it seems a lot of people on this thread are, I can see how the prospect of a hellish firm job would still seem better in comparison. Even with big loan payments, a typical BigLaw job is going to pay these people MUCH more than they were making before. Obviously I'd rather have the nice paycheck AND a job I enjoy, but some people aren't so greedy.

Additionally, what's wrong with focusing on the best part of the next three years -- not having to deal with the daily grind of cubicle/retail employment? Sure, you might be trading that in for a different kind of daily grind in three years, but why dwell on that? It can be healthy to focus on short-term joys rather than potential long-term stresses.

Bottom line: most people have to put up with a good deal of shit in their jobs, even if they absolutely love the field they're in. This whole notion that you'll somehow be able to put up with the hell of a firm job if you "love the law" is naive. Loving the law doesn't help you deal with abusive partners, doing the devil's work for corporate clients you may loathe, and a 24/7 on-call schedule that prevents you from having a fulfilling personal life. I know quite a few people who have major hard-ons for the law, went to T3 schools, and still couldn't handle that lifestyle.

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 am

You should check your contract or staff handbook or whatevs in case there's a policy on this. Otherwise two weeks is customary I think.

I'm contractually obligated to give a month's notice. I'm not leaving until August (need to get paid and rock my full 27 days paid vacation- thanks, Europe, I love you), but I think I'm going to submit my resignation letter soon. I have a good relationship with the boss and board and they've known I'm leaving for a long time. Still, I don't really know what to say in my leaving letter. Any tips on what to say, other than a Half Baked-style "you're cool, you're cool, f*ck you, I'm out"-type exit?

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon May 17, 2010 6:50 am

I've continued to work hard and be a professional just so that when you posted this I could feel superior.

Of course, I've been living paycheck-to-paycheck for two years and the 40% reduction in income that would result from going on unemployment would beggar me.

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Mon May 17, 2010 7:44 am

i am going to filet a fish atop my desk this morning...anyone want some sashimi?

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Mon May 17, 2010 9:52 am

TCS wrote:

I've continued to work hard and be a professional just so that when you posted this I could feel superior.

Of course, I've been living paycheck-to-paycheck for two years and the 40% reduction in income that would result from going on unemployment would beggar me.

I meant right before LS, thus ensuring a lil' stipend while in school and kick ass partially subsidized (thanks Obama!) health insurance courtesy of my (ex) job.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 am

this is my last week!!!

slider

Postby slider » Mon May 17, 2010 10:39 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:this is my last week!!!

I'm so jealous of you! I still have another 2 months to go.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”