So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oberlin08

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby oberlin08 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Just gave my three weeks...

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm

For those that held the idea of law school from their employers and just hit them with the resignation, what kind of responses did you get? I gave my notice yesterday and was surprised by some of the reactions. Granted I'm the youngest person on my team and am considered a "budding star". I don't see it, but whatever. Anyway, heard stuff like:

"why do you want to do that"
"how are you going to live"
"have you thought this through"
"what about your house"

and then of course the "WTF" face.

It was all truly entertaining.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:21 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:For those that held the idea of law school from their employers and just hit them with the resignation, what kind of responses did you get? I gave my notice yesterday and was surprised by some of the reactions. Granted I'm the youngest person on my team and am considered a "budding star". I don't see it, but whatever. Anyway, heard stuff like:

"why do you want to do that"
"how are you going to live"
"have you thought this through"
"what about your house"

and then of course the "WTF" face.

It was all truly entertaining.

"That's so soon!" (I'm doing a summer start date...)

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 3:26 pm

I can't risk telling my employer. I'm afraid that I'll get blackballed, and then my shitty job would be even shittier.

No one at my job knows I'm going to enter law school this fall. No one knows I have a college degree. They suspect I'm educated because of the way I speak, but it is only suspicion, lol.

csnowden1985

Postby csnowden1985 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Got laid off yesterday, get paid through the month. I applied for a day camp position at the Y? I'm pumped, hanging outside by the pool all day and getting paid slightly more than unemployment. Soooo much better than the desk job I'm leaving.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed May 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Today I had to clean up little mounds of spilled sugar left by old fat union lawyers all over my conference room. They literally cleared out the coffee mate and sugar packet bowls and spilled both everywhere.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:
YES. Two weeks notice is all that is required, and all that is expected.

If you work at a clothing store, maybe. I gave three months notice. But I work on a lot of projects here and will need to train multiple people. I'd say one month is good for a professional job with actual responsibilities.

My last day is July 29th. Can't wait!

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:30 am

CG614 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

If you work at a clothing store, maybe. I gave three months notice. But I work on a lot of projects here and will need to train multiple people. I'd say one month is good for a professional job with actual responsibilities.

I work a "professional job", I gave three weeks notice, but only because I wanted to wait on waiting lists with different start dates and such. One month wouldve been better

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu May 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Today, my job is to read like ten documents at the last minute because the senior consultant can't figure something out herself, and then have a "working meeting" for the rest of the afternoon where everybody else puts my ideas into the final product and takes credit for them.

I guess you can't say I'm unprepared for biglaw.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:36 pm

CG614 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Uh no, I'm an electrical engineer. Two weeks is standard. And its somewhat common place in corporate America for the employer to tell you to just pack on the spot, and don't come back.

sapp

Postby sapp » Thu May 13, 2010 2:42 pm

I gave my boss 3 months notice... but they knew I've been planning on law school ever since I registered for the LSAT.

They specifcally asked me to give them as much notice as possible so I could train my replacement. Being as I wouldn't mind working here once I've finished law school I more than willingly obliged. I told them my last day would be at the end of July and they said that they would keep me on until then, even after hiring someone new unless I decided otherwise.

My superiors are the best bosses ever.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Thu May 13, 2010 2:47 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:I can't risk telling my employer. I'm afraid that I'll get blackballed, and then my shitty job would be even shittier.

No one at my job knows I'm going to enter law school this fall. No one knows I have a college degree. They suspect I'm educated because of the way I speak, but it is only suspicion, lol.

My hero!

My company knows about my edjucamation, but pretends it's not true.

theLastZion

Postby theLastZion » Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Yea, much as I'd like to I can't really complain. My bosses have been more than kind to me, and have known since like october I was going to law school (a couple wrote recommendations for me).

That said, I am completely ready to quit my job. I'll probably officially give a month's notice when the time comes. I've already started interviewing for my replacement.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 pm

God I'm glad I don't think I'll have to train my replacement. Sounds like death. The neurotic pain-in-the-ass that trained me is still around and they like her better because she takes this work seriously, so I imagine she'll be the lucky gal.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm

csnowden1985 wrote:Got laid off yesterday, get paid through the month. I applied for a day camp position at the Y? I'm pumped, hanging outside by the pool all day and getting paid slightly more than unemployment. Soooo much better than the desk job I'm leaving.

I hatchu. **jealousy**

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Thu May 13, 2010 2:55 pm

So who else is typing this from a work computer? :twisted:

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:58 pm

HazelEyes wrote:So who else is typing this from a work computer? :twisted:

I'm sitting at work right now. I really wanna go to a hypnotherapist so I can think I've been fishing all day instead of trying to pretend I'm busy and avoid my boss.

JTX

Postby JTX » Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 pm

HazelEyes wrote:[]So who else is typing this from a work computer? [/color] :twisted:

<--- guilty.

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 pm

HazelEyes wrote:So who else is typing this from a work computer?

I am typing this from a work computer in stead of preparing for a meeting I have in one minute.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu May 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Bert wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:So who else is typing this from a work computer?

I am typing this from a work computer in stead of preparing for a meeting I have [strike]in one minute[/strike] one minute ago.

Fixed for whoops.

Chicklets

Postby Chicklets » Thu May 13, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm going to keep working until school's out (daughter in 6th grade!), then quit to pack up while hubby continues his job until a month before classes start. Then a one month, cross-country road trip/move/vacation. See the USA from the backroads between Seattle and the East Coast!

Pisto3

Postby Pisto3 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Last day is 2 weeks from tomorrow. Then i'm going June 2 - July 12 to visit family in Mexico, tour a bit of Central America. Then it's buy a car, get an apartment and head out to school!

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Thu May 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Quitting at the end of July. Debating whether or not to give one month or two weeks notice. My boss just got me drunk for the afternoon so I'm leaning towards a month.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Uh no, I'm an electrical engineer. Two weeks is standard. And its somewhat common place in corporate America for the employer to tell you to just pack on the spot, and don't come back.

I don't want to get into a internet battle with the feared DF, but two weeks is not enough time for a professional job, if you have been there a while. I agree that it is considered the standard, but most places will not be happy with just two weeks notice.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Thu May 13, 2010 4:07 pm

HazelEyes wrote:So who else is typing this from a work computer? :twisted:

one you know I am. This job is the only reason I frequent the forum.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”