So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SwollenMonkey

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue May 04, 2010 5:44 pm

jmhendri wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:I prob shouldn't post but I have lost all desire to be in work since I got into law school. I just don't want to be there. I called in sick today and I don't think I've hit a deadline since last month. Barely doing any work at all. Just wish they could fire me but I need the money!

Can't wait to leave.

Same here. I'm so confused at work it's ridiculous. I'm reading law material and I get so lost in it that I believe it affects my job performance. In short, I read a lot and forget unimportant crap...lol...

Yeah I know what you mean, people keep looking at me like I'm a moron because cannot for the life of me retain these mundane day to day admin details. I get this feeling every time I forget to get a Fed Ex package out on time or deliver a phone message that someone's looking at me like, "good luck in Law School dumbass"

People at work think I'm slow, lol.

Lisa7n99

Postby Lisa7n99 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:47 pm

i feel lucky as hell reading this. my boss wrote my LOR for law school and said I can "stay as long as I want" (August, need to pad the bank account as much as possible). On top of that, I actually like my job. to all those who aren't that lucky, hang in there.....most of us working people have been there before.

Concept2

Postby Concept2 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Nice thread, I have been worrying over this same topic. I own a company and have to not only finish clients jobs by August but fire employees and close shop/sell inventory etc.. I keep putting it off thinking I will just accept one more job. Anyone think that going to law school will be a difficult transition after the hectic pace of self-employment? I know I will be busy but studying will be FAR different than the constant human contact required as a manager/owner.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Tue May 04, 2010 5:57 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:I prob shouldn't post but I have lost all desire to be in work since I got into law school. I just don't want to be there. I called in sick today and I don't think I've hit a deadline since last month. Barely doing any work at all. Just wish they could fire me but I need the money!

Can't wait to leave.

Same here. I'm so confused at work it's ridiculous. I'm reading law material and I get so lost in it that I believe it affects my job performance. In short, I read a lot and forget unimportant crap...lol...

Yeah I know what you mean, people keep looking at me like I'm a moron because cannot for the life of me retain these mundane day to day admin details. I get this feeling every time I forget to get a Fed Ex package out on time or deliver a phone message that someone's looking at me like, "good luck in Law School dumbass"

People at work think I'm slow, lol.

So glad everyone understands! I just feel completely worn out and uninterested but I have a few really big deadlines which will be over by July then I can coast out my contract.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue May 04, 2010 6:02 pm

gilagarta wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:unemployment would never arrive in time.

And would never cover my ridiculous rent expenses. :)

Don't listen to the above. Unemployment is the glorious gravy train that keeps chugging throughout your first year of law school (depending on the laws of your state). HTH:

Your cell phone: ring ring....ring ring...
You: Hello?
Person on other line: Hello, this is Susan from the Unemployment office. Are you still unemployed?
You: Why, yes I am.
Susan: Have you been looking for a job?
You: Oh, all the time.
Susan: Ok then, your next check is in the mail.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Unemployment would be a dream come true if I weren't planning on soliciting some of the partners at my firm for a generic LOR for my summer jobs.

Just to be clear on the Kindergarten nature of my position here, right now I'm sorting colored paper, then I will be stapling for an hour, and then I will be playing with white out.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 04, 2010 6:32 pm

pugalicious wrote:
gilagarta wrote:

Don't listen to the above. Unemployment is the glorious gravy train that keeps chugging throughout your first year of law school (depending on the laws of your state). HTH:

Person on other line: Hello, this is Susan from the Unemployment office. Are you still unemployed?

Hmm, is that legal if you're full time?

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Tue May 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Glad to find this thread. I'm more than ready to go (leaving in mid-July). My employer knew months ago I was going to law school, but it seemed like my workload and responsibilities actually increased once they knew I was going to leave. I'm mentally pretty checked out, especially because I'm moving to a completely new city after five years in DC, and because I'm already preparing myself for the stresses and excitement of law school. The combination of more work + mental check out has not really been ideal, so these last 10 weeks cannot go fast enough.

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue May 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Just told my boss that I'm leaving mid-July. Feels good 8)

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Some of you are giving a crazy amount of time. I'm giving two weeks, no more.

redes

Postby redes » Tue May 04, 2010 7:23 pm

just told my boss im out at the end of july. now i have itchy feet and can't wait to vamoose. and i *like* my job.

an-tic-iiii-paaaaaa-tion

lawgunner75

Postby lawgunner75 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:46 pm

June 11 is my last day, and it cannot come fast enough!

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 pm

June 13th here... we should start a count down thread!

I have:
100 days
2412 hours
144760 minutes

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm

trialjunky wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
gilagarta wrote:

Hmm, is that legal if you're full time?

Depends on the state, I suppose. You are supposed to be able to accept work at any time, but it is field-specific. So, technically, if there were no offers of teaching job, I would be fine. I probably won't risk it. But I WILL be collecting up until the day I start school, even if they send me the checks weeks later : ) I do know someone who still collects unemployment even though she is a full-time student, but I don't think she cares about defrauding anyone (MFA Creative Writing student).

Bailarina08

Postby Bailarina08 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm bailing earlier than most of you: May 19th!

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue May 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Turning in my two weeks on July 14th. Last day July 28th. Beginning the drive to Champaign on the 30th-31st.

Tweaking already.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Some of you are giving a crazy amount of time. I'm giving two weeks, no more.

Agreed. I'm probably going to give 3-4 weeks.

One of my friends (who happens to be a coworker) is going to grad school in the fall, but his supervisor found out a couple months ago and basically fired him for it. :shock: I'm not going to lie that I'm pretty jealous of where some of you guys work (i.e. grad school is seen as a positive and not a negative). I'm just trying to hold out for a few more paychecks...

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 8:28 pm

It was known when I was hired that I was applying to LS and would only be able to put in a good year. It was in my cover letter when I was applying. :)

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Bailarina08 wrote:I'm bailing earlier than most of you: May 19th!

I am jelly on a side of toast of you...I wish!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Some of you are giving a crazy amount of time. I'm giving two weeks, no more.

I need time for my NC/DC/Philly/STL/SF/LA/Vegas/Austin road trip and living out of my rental car for a month. :)

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Wed May 05, 2010 6:06 am

Told my boss I am leaving today! I'm on a 1 year contract so no 'being fired' worries. Not leaving til Aug 20th though!

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed May 05, 2010 6:31 am

pugalicious wrote:
gilagarta wrote:

If this is serious, I hope you goddamn die.

That's fraud, and I'll be finding religion any day now so that I can pray the bar rapes you.

sarahd

Postby sarahd » Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 am

redes wrote:just told my boss im out at the end of july. now i have itchy feet and can't wait to vamoose. and i *like* my job.

an-tic-iiii-paaaaaa-tion

+1

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 05, 2010 7:07 am

My entire job knows I'm peacing the fuck out! They want me to train someone...I will not! Well, I won't until my scores from June come back. Decisions, decisions...

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Wed May 05, 2010 9:13 am

Two more days until I give 2 weeks notice! I will NOT be missing the sardine-can commute (the guy with his armpit in my face this morning definitely needs to use more Dial), my crappy office building (refuses to switch on the A/C until the first of June), or the fact that I work for next to nothing. I will definitely be missing Carl's steaks, Gray's Papaya and bootleg dvd's. But truthfully, my head hasn't been in the game since I got my first acceptance back. Counting down the days. . . 13 work days to go :D :D :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”