So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thecubiclelife

New

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by thecubiclelife » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:59 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Metroid SR388 wrote:I plan to leave my job around mid July. I would love to leave earlier but I need the money and the insurance coverage.

I would start counting down the days until my last one, but it is too far away and would simply depress me.
+1
+2
+3 :cry:
Yeah...honestly, this should be the end of the thread. How depressing. Four more months...

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 am

philosoraptor wrote:
as stars burn wrote:
rcharles wrote:I'm a print journalist so although I dont make any many I do make connections. The little bit I do make will be going to new laptop, new apartment deposit/expenses. I wish I could quit now but there's too many incentives to stay...
I graduated with a B.A. in journalism a year and a half ago with three five-month newspaper internships under my belt, but when I graduated I wasn't able to find any journalism jobs. None. I knew I was going to law school so I tried not to let it get to me, but I really wanted to work for a year before going to law school. The industry was pummeled really hard this last year...it was terrifying to me. I'm working, but not as a journalist. Law school, here I come...finally.
Looking back, I was so lucky after graduation to land an editorial job (with no journalism degree). It kinda makes me happy that in a few months, I'll be opening up a plum spot at an awesome company for some desperate J-school grad who will appreciate it more than I do.
Definitely. But honestly, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. I was able to grab some more management experience instead when I graduated (sure, it's not anything luxurious, but it's experience). I still did some freelance in my spare time without all the stress associated with being a journalist, but it satisfied my love of writing. I just about fried my brain and was so far beyond stressed out when I graduated from J-school that I was 110% sure journalism was NOT what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I'm a hard worker and I enjoyed the challenge, but I completely lost interest and passion when I graduated. It just wasn't worth it to me.

Edited for spelling...twice. Journalism B.A. FTW!! haha
Last edited by as stars burn on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:06 am

+ watch

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:57 am

I've set my date: 6/25 will be my last day!

It couldn't come soon enough though. With each passing day, my job gets worse and worse, careening into a Kafkaesque labyrinth of passive-aggressive bullshit. Personally, I think the day I announce that I'm quitting will be even more thrilling than the day I get accepted into one of my target schools.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:03 pm

My last day is 7/9 (so I get insurance in July), and I am so looking forward to walking out of here on that day. On a side note, I have been outed over here and everybody is expecting me to resign soon - they are even interviewing a replacement today. Oh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Bert wrote:My last day is 7/9 (so I get insurance in July), and I am so looking forward to walking out of here on that day. On a side note, I have been outed over here and everybody is expecting me to resign soon - they are even interviewing a replacement today. Oh well.
You know, that might not be a bad idea. Work the week of July 4th. It's a paid holiday, plus the insurance thing. That might interfere with my road trip plans though.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:21 pm

I am very excited to be leaving a profession that is not treated professionally. After 6 years of education (BA, Credential, and M.Ed) and 6 years of work experience as a teacher, I am still treated like a HS grad. I thought it would be a stable profession, but now governments cut education budgets before cutting everything else. I have had to fight for jobs and move across the country just to stay employed.

I gave my boss my 2 sentence letter of resignation yesterday. My end date is 6/11/10. I wish I could have held off so I could keep my insurance through the summer, but they can sue me for breach of contract if I do not submit my LOR by May. I am just riding out my last 29 days of work. Yesterday I slept in until 10am for the first day ever, because I have 1st and 2nd period preps. Acting unprofessionally is great. Might as well, if I'm not treated like one.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:53 pm

JCougar wrote:
Bert wrote:My last day is 7/9 (so I get insurance in July), and I am so looking forward to walking out of here on that day. On a side note, I have been outed over here and everybody is expecting me to resign soon - they are even interviewing a replacement today. Oh well.
You know, that might not be a bad idea. Work the week of July 4th. It's a paid holiday, plus the insurance thing. That might interfere with my road trip plans though.
Bingo. Plus, if you really plans things well, you will have insurance coverage in case you hurt yourself moving in to your new place.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:57 pm

My last day is 7/2 but I have almost three weeks off in June. So after today I will only be in the office for 30 more days. But who's counting... :D

Edited to add: Depending on GULC PT I may be hanging onto the job another three years. :shock: But I will at the very least be off for the summer, and never have to walk back to THIS office again. :)
Last edited by jks289 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm working a few days in August just to make sure my insurance holds out until my school insurance kicks in. I'll have a few weeks off between work and school and plan on roadtripping down to San Diego for at least a few days. It seems like my office doesn't expect too much out of me between now and then but I'm gonna try to be a team player and not make anyone else's job harder.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm training my replacement this month. Done on May 28th. I can't wait to get out of this hell.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Last day is 6/11 (or if my bank account is hurting, 6/18 :D ). Even though the next six weeks are shaping up to be a living hell, it's nice to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm out in exactly 2 months. Just told boss earlier this week.

After 7 years of work, I'm very much looking forward to a change of format/pace/time demands. That 1.5 months off will be nice, too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:12 pm

I'll be working till about a week or 2 before classes start. I need the $$ bc fin aid doesnt kick in till first week of class.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Probably not leaving until sometime in July. Had hoped to call it quits at the end of June, but then I found out that finaid takes somewhere between 12 and 47 years to be disbursed. BUT -- I'm going on vacation next week. It is badly needed.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:22 pm

JCougar wrote:.

Y'all people going straight to law school out of college are in for a nice, brown surprise.
Not really. I'm going straight through, but I have also worked the past six years of my life. You don't need to work in a crappy job in order to appreciate law school. I am preparing for the worst, and I will enjoy it.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 pm

My last day is 7/3.

I can't freaking wait! My job makes me feel so miserable that everytime I come to work I feel a little piece of my soul die.
It's a living hell and the next 2 months are going to be horrible, but I'm saving as much money as I can. THEN! I move to Chicago to start law school. Woot! You couldn't pay me enough money to stay in Florida anymore...especially Tampa.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 am

So this is the week of me getting a shitload of petty but time-consuming assignments thought up solely so I don't look like I'm sitting around with nothing to do to people in other departments.

Doing hiring for a company that has a hiring freeze blows. It blows even more when your manager can't find anything remotely productive for you to do during downtime.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 am

OMG IS IT AUGUST YET??? I really wish I could take some time off between work and ls, but I am paranoid about dipping into savings before it's absolutely necessary. Three and a half more months to go...

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Tue May 04, 2010 11:28 am

I wish I could leave! I work in finance (it's not lucrative or exciting) and therefore my job is pretty much 3 months long and repeats 4 times per year. Given how much I make and my expenses, I can't afford to stop working before the first of August so that I can still pay my rent. Ugh.

historyholly

New

Post by historyholly » Tue May 04, 2010 2:56 pm

I guess I am in the minority here, but I like my job and I am kind of sad I am leaving. One of the doctors I work for wrote one of my letters of recommendation. The whole office has been right there with me as I applied and eventually got my acceptance letters. They have been nothing but supportive. They even offered to have me transfer to another one of our offices in the city where I am going to school, but I don't think I will work at all my first year.

Ya, it is kind of weird because they know I am leaving ( I haven't given my official notice with a date yet) and I have been out of loop on some of the decisions in the office, but that was expected. My job is unique and not easily filled, so it will takes months to hire someone and get them trained. So, I am working until the end of July with a one week vacation somewhere in there. If i took off anymore time than just a couple weeks, I think I might go crazy. I haven't not had a job since I was 16.

Everyone is so negative about their current jobs, which to an extent I can understand because I have worked retail and other awful jobs. But I guarantee you, mid way through finals your first semester you will miss the easy life of 9-5.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:59 pm

historyholly wrote:I guess I am in the minority here, but I like my job and I am kind of sad I am leaving. One of the doctors I work for wrote one of my letters of recommendation. The whole office has been right there with me as I applied and eventually got my acceptance letters. They have been nothing but supportive. They even offered to have me transfer to another one of our offices in the city where I am going to school, but I don't think I will work at all my first year.

Ya, it is kind of weird because they know I am leaving ( I haven't given my official notice with a date yet) and I have been out of loop on some of the decisions in the office, but that was expected. My job is unique and not easily filled, so it will takes months to hire someone and get them trained. So, I am working until the end of July with a one week vacation somewhere in there. If i took off anymore time than just a couple weeks, I think I might go crazy. I haven't not had a job since I was 16.

Everyone is so negative about their current jobs, which to an extent I can understand because I have worked retail and other awful jobs. But I guarantee you, mid way through finals your first semester you will miss the easy life of 9-5.

I like aspects of my current job, but dislike other aspects. I too though have been outside the loop on a lot of things, almost as if they dont want to give me any real work. Its like I told them im dying or something..

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Tue May 04, 2010 3:03 pm

GobiasIndustries wrote:Given how much I make and my expenses, I can't afford to stop working before the first of August so that I can still pay my rent. Ugh.
Ditto. And I'm super-stressed, because I'm not giving notice until the end of this month so I'm not "out" at work. A few of my friends here know, but I can't tell management bc I'm sure they'd freak and dock my pay (yes, they'd be able to do it, I'm sure of it).

Is it weird how bothered I am that I can't put stuff about me going to law school on Facebook bc I'm friends with co-workers on there? It's like if I don't tell my "we're only friends on FB and not in real life" friends that I'm going, it's not real yet.

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue May 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Told the boss last week that my last day of work was gonna be 6/30....now I just need to get into law school

historyholly

New

Post by historyholly » Tue May 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Is it weird how bothered I am that I can't put stuff about me going to law school on Facebook bc I'm friends with co-workers on there? It's like if I don't tell my "we're only friends on FB and not in real life" friends that I'm going, it's not real yet.[/quote]

You should be able to be upfront about it. I was worried that my job might act negatively about my going away to law school, but it turned out I was just being paranoid. Also, think of it this way: if they fire you, there is always unemployment :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”