So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CG614

Silver

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by CG614 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Metroid SR388 wrote:I plan to leave my job around mid July. I would love to leave earlier but I need the money and the insurance coverage.

I would start counting down the days until my last one, but it is too far away and would simply depress me.
+1

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:31 pm

CG614 wrote:
Metroid SR388 wrote:I plan to leave my job around mid July. I would love to leave earlier but I need the money and the insurance coverage.

I would start counting down the days until my last one, but it is too far away and would simply depress me.
+1
+2

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

I was ready a year ago. But, I need money.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Depends if I'm going to be staying in NYC or not. If I need to move, I'll probably pull the trigger mid July since my lease is up August 1. If I get to stay in the city, probably the 1st or 2nd week of August. +1 on the money/health insurance. :D

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
CG614 wrote:

+1
+2
+3 :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Leaving sometime in June...can't wait to figure out financial aid so I know I can afford to take the summer OFF!!

algren

Bronze

Post by algren » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 pm

lawyering wrote:Leaving sometime in June...can't wait to figure out financial aid so I know I can afford to take the summer OFF!!
I'm out the last week of June. Then the month of July I will be traveling and taking a vacation. In early August, its on to law school.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Birdman wrote:I am totally ready to quit my shitty retail management job. Too bad its only March dammit
God, me too! I work in retail management and I'm so close to shooting myself. It's high stress, and low pay. I'm constantly bitched out and it just depresses me. I seriously hate working there. I'll be nice and give two weeks notice, but I am counting down the days.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:02 pm

I work in a ginormous clusterfuck corporate office. The other thing that keeps me going is that the more I learn to put up with the copious piles of bullshit here, the more manageable the bullshit of law school becomes.

Y'all people going straight to law school out of college are in for a nice, brown surprise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:12 pm

as stars burn wrote:
Birdman wrote:I am totally ready to quit my shitty retail management job. Too bad its only March dammit
God, me too! I work in retail management and I'm so close to shooting myself. It's high stress, and low pay. I'm constantly bitched out and it just depresses me. I seriously hate working there. I'll be nice and give two weeks notice, but I am counting down the days.
I am totally with you on this, retail management is crazy. I am looking forward to not having to deal with people bitching about return policies and the dc bag fee. Also counting down the days.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Birdman wrote:
as stars burn wrote:
I am totally with you on this, retail management is crazy. I am looking forward to not having to deal with people bitching about return policies and the dc bag fee. Also counting down the days.
haha! +1!! Just know you're not alone :) It's almost over!

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:24 pm

I'm a print journalist so although I dont make any many I do make connections. The little bit I do make will be going to new laptop, new apartment deposit/expenses. I wish I could quit now but there's too many incentives to stay...

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 pm

rcharles wrote:I'm a print journalist so although I dont make any many I do make connections. The little bit I do make will be going to new laptop, new apartment deposit/expenses. I wish I could quit now but there's too many incentives to stay...
I graduated with a B.A. in journalism a year and a half ago with three five-month newspaper internships under my belt, but when I graduated I wasn't able to find any journalism jobs. None. I knew I was going to law school so I tried not to let it get to me, but I really wanted to work for a year before going to law school. The industry was pummeled really hard this last year...it was terrifying to me. I'm working, but not as a journalist. Law school, here I come...finally.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 pm

I work in a lumber yard. If I don't quit soon I'm gonna burn that mother to the ground.... stupid poor parents, support me financially, dammit.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm

beesknees wrote: Also, I watch Office Space a lot and feel better that I'm not the only one in the world who realizes that management is just an excuse for the douchiest person to get paid more to do almost no real work.
Office Space isn't a comedy, it's a documentary. And a G-rated one, at that. :)

algren

Bronze

Post by algren » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:50 pm

JCougar wrote:
beesknees wrote: Also, I watch Office Space a lot and feel better that I'm not the only one in the world who realizes that management is just an excuse for the douchiest person to get paid more to do almost no real work.
Office Space isn't a comedy, it's a documentary. And a G-rated one, at that. :)
This is so sadly true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:02 am

beesknees wrote:
JCougar wrote: Also, I watch Office Space a lot and feel better that I'm not the only one in the world who realizes that management is just an excuse for the douchiest person to get paid more to do almost no real work.
management positions are difficult positions to hold in the corporate world. they put up with a lot of crap the rest of us don't see.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 am

fiftyonefifty wrote:
beesknees wrote:
JCougar wrote: Also, I watch Office Space a lot and feel better that I'm not the only one in the world who realizes that management is just an excuse for the douchiest person to get paid more to do almost no real work.
management positions are difficult positions to hold in the corporate world. they put up with a lot of crap the rest of us don't see.
you forget that shit rolls downhill.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:54 am

Last edited by beesknees on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgsaudio

New

Post by dgsaudio » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:55 am

Last day is wednesday. Getting out of retail FOREVER!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:31 am

beesknees wrote:
fiftyonefifty wrote:
beesknees wrote:
You haven't seen the management that I'm referring to. They constantly unload their responsibilities off on their inferiors, had no prior experience in the positions they currently hold (and it shows), tend to use their position as an excuse to delegate more than they take on, and masterfully shift blame/responsibility on their pawns. Its really quite depressing. I suffered quietly for months until a coworker cautiously approached to air similar sentiments. So I know I'm not the only one.

yes we work in different environments. my boss can delegate all the work he wants, but if one of us screws up or lag on a deadline then our director scolds my boss and not us. my boss gets yelled at all the time for our mistakes and i beleive that should be the case since our work is the product of his department.

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:06 pm

My job at a non-profit was my ticket to writing a bang-up personal statement and getting two professional letters of recommendation: now it's just a matter of choosing the right time to quit before I snap and completely go berserk on my venal, self-righteous, poorly-educated co-workers. I should at least put in a full year, so I'm stuck with them until May. Everything was fine until the higher-ups tore down the residential-style house we all used to work in and moved us into cubicles.

Damn am I glad I applied to law school; it keeps the grim fact that I'm probably unemployable as a human being under wraps for at least another three years.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Took some time at work today to pen my resignation letter, unfortunately I wont be able to use it for a few months yet.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 pm

as stars burn wrote:
rcharles wrote:I'm a print journalist so although I dont make any many I do make connections. The little bit I do make will be going to new laptop, new apartment deposit/expenses. I wish I could quit now but there's too many incentives to stay...
I graduated with a B.A. in journalism a year and a half ago with three five-month newspaper internships under my belt, but when I graduated I wasn't able to find any journalism jobs. None. I knew I was going to law school so I tried not to let it get to me, but I really wanted to work for a year before going to law school. The industry was pummeled really hard this last year...it was terrifying to me. I'm working, but not as a journalist. Law school, here I come...finally.
Looking back, I was so lucky after graduation to land an editorial job (with no journalism degree). It kinda makes me happy that in a few months, I'll be opening up a plum spot at an awesome company for some desperate J-school grad who will appreciate it more than I do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”