So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Leeroy Jenkins

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 27, 2009 12:43 pm

prbaglady wrote:
what a douchebag of a ceo

I almost walked right into his office later that day to tell him that NYU is top 5 and I would be an idiot NOT to go, and certainly someone who went to a TTT school that no one's even heard of can't really judge other people's educational choices... BUT i didn't want to sink to his level. ugh!

I'd do it on my last day anyway.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:44 am

So.... I'm thinking about trying to leave a little earlier than July 31st, maybe by just a week or so.... I'm frankly just sick of my job, and want to be done with it. I kinda feel like I could use the time off to prepare mentally for law school. However, this means basically one less paycheck. :|

I ask you - If I don't leave early, meaning if I leave my (high stress paralegal job) on July 31st, pack everything up, and move to my law school's location (Baltimore) on August 7th, and then have until the 24th (date of orientation) to relax, maybe go to my hometown for a week or so, etc., then come back and settle into life in Baltimore for a few days, that I will feel rested and mentally prepared for school? Is that enough of a break?

This would mean tolerating work, but if the consensus is that it is enough time to be relaxed and ready to go for school, I could suck it up, and earn the extra $$.

Or, should I take an extra week (or more)? I've lived in DC for nearly 2 years, and haven't done nearly all of the things I would like to in this city. Perhaps it would be an opportunity to be a "tourist" a little bit.

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Thu May 28, 2009 9:50 am

hoffb86 wrote:So.... I'm thinking about trying to leave a little earlier than July 31st, maybe by just a week or so.... I'm frankly just sick of my job, and want to be done with it. I kinda feel like I could use the time off to prepare mentally for law school. However, this means basically one less paycheck. :|

I ask you - If I don't leave early, meaning if I leave my (high stress paralegal job) on July 31st, pack everything up, and move to my law school's location (Baltimore) on August 7th, and then have until the 24th (date of orientation) to relax, maybe go to my hometown for a week or so, etc., then come back and settle into life in Baltimore for a few days, that I will feel rested and mentally prepared for school? Is that enough of a break?

This would mean tolerating work, but if the consensus is that it is enough time to be relaxed and ready to go for school, I could suck it up, and earn the extra $$.

Or, should I take an extra week (or more)? I've lived in DC for nearly 2 years, and haven't done nearly all of the things I would like to in this city. Perhaps it would be an opportunity to be a "tourist" a little bit.

Totally quit early Hoff. Five years down the line you won't even miss that paycheck, but you'll miss having that time to yourself to relax before you walked into the hellmouth.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Thu May 28, 2009 9:53 am

Better idea:
Phase 1 - Get laid off, preferably before the July 4th weekend
Phase 2 - Get severence and collect unemployment until school starts
Phase 3 - Spend summer on beach

I now have my action plan.

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:54 am

annapavlova wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:So.... I'm thinking about trying to leave a little earlier than July 31st, maybe by just a week or so.... I'm frankly just sick of my job, and want to be done with it. I kinda feel like I could use the time off to prepare mentally for law school. However, this means basically one less paycheck. :|

Totally quit early Hoff. Five years down the line you won't even miss that paycheck, but you'll miss having that time to yourself to relax before you walked into the hellmouth.

Anna has a really good point. It comes down to how much you need the money and how much stress your job is. My job is not that stressful and I could use the money. I am slacking like none other. :)

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:54 am

sullidop wrote:Better idea:

I am working on this myself. but phase 1 is really hard to implement.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:54 am

annapavlova wrote:

This is my thought, I'm just also trying to put some money aside, working/living in DC is expensive, and I haven't been able to save much. I'm trying to make sure I have enough money for rent and then to cover early expenses before loans get disbursed. I think I may need to get a credit card just to front some of the costs!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Thu May 28, 2009 9:56 am

sentinal5656 wrote:
sullidop wrote:Better idea:

I am working on this myself. but phase 1 is really hard to implement.

True, ah to dream........

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 am

My last day is July 17th and I have a three day-weekend over the 4th of July, which is somewhat pleasant to look forward to.

Right now I oscillate between being completely apathetic and robotic, and totally off-the-walls batshit "I've gotta get out of here!" crazy.

I really don't know if I can take 7 more weeks of this.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:05 am

annapavlova wrote:My last day is July 17th and I have a three day-weekend over the 4th of July, which is somewhat pleasant to look forward to.

Right now I oscillate between being completely apathetic and robotic, and totally off-the-walls batshit "I've gotta get out of here!" crazy.

This is kinda how I've been too.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 28, 2009 10:10 am

annapavlova wrote:My last day is July 17th and I have a three day-weekend over the 4th of July, which is somewhat pleasant to look forward to.

Hook 'Em

Postby Hook 'Em » Thu May 28, 2009 10:21 am

I feel the exact same way, but my last day is July 31 :cry: . I zone out during meetings, and browse TLS whenever I'm at my desk. The next two months are going to be hell.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:23 am

Hook 'Em wrote:

I feel the exact same way, but my last day is July 31 :cry: . I zone out during meetings, and browse TLS whenever I'm at my desk. The next two months are going to be hell.

Do you think we are hurting ourselves to leave so late? (see my above longer post)

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Thu May 28, 2009 10:25 am

hoffb86 wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:

Do you think we are hurting ourselves to leave so late? (see my above longer post)

I often wonder this myself. I am going to spend time with family during the two weeks before I move, but that is sort of a chore in and of itself. I really just want to lay on the beach for awhile...

Ah! We as a society are so plagued with anxiety and discontent!

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 28, 2009 10:27 am

My dad: "What do you plan on doing those three weeks between work and orientation?"
Me: "....smoke weed and do acid?"

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 am

“Deadliest Catch” depicts commercial crab fishermen in the Bering Sea. Another, “Dirty Jobs,” shows all kinds of grueling work; one episode featured a guy who inseminates turkeys for a living. The weird fascination of these shows must lie partly in the fact that such confrontations with material reality have become exotically unfamiliar. Many of us do work that feels more surreal than real. Working in an office, you often find it difficult to see any tangible result from your efforts. What exactly have you accomplished at the end of any given day? Where the chain of cause and effect is opaque and responsibility diffuse, the experience of individual agency can be elusive. “Dilbert,” “The Office” and similar portrayals of cubicle life attest to the dark absurdism with which many Americans have come to view their white-collar jobs."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?pagewanted=6&em

Law_Walker84

Postby Law_Walker84 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:53 am

My last day is July 31st. I used to love my job, but then last year I didnt get my bonus after having worked my ass off for the whole year... My mood has changed. I am just spinning my wills until I leave. It pays well, but I really wanted my bonus since I dont get overtime or any other perks (i.e. healthcare). I'll have two weeks off before school starts... just hope my loan money comes in around that time so that I can pay the rent on my new place... :wink:

franfair

Postby franfair » Thu May 28, 2009 11:03 am

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hook 'Em

Postby Hook 'Em » Thu May 28, 2009 11:13 am

hoffb86 wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:

I'm still on the fence about this, but it depends on where I decide to attend school (I am deciding between Illinois and SMU). I currently live in Texas, so the move to Dallas wouldn't be that difficult. If I decide on Illinois, I'll probably quit work in mid-July. I plan on seeing how I feel in a month, and putting in my 2 weeks notice if I need extra time to chill before taking the law school plunge.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:15 am

Hook 'Em wrote:I'm still on the fence about this, but it depends on where I decide to attend school (I am deciding between Illinois and SMU). I currently live in Texas, so the move to Dallas wouldn't be that difficult. If I decide on Illinois, I'll probably quit work in mid-July. I plan on seeing how I feel in a month, and putting in my 2 weeks notice if I need extra time to chill before taking the law school plunge.

I kinda agree with this. I decided on University of Maryland (in Baltimore) and so unless I get into WUSTL off the waitlist (see separate thread, its unlikely to happen), then I am only moving a quick 40 minute drive north since I live in DC now.

I guess I will go with the same strategy you are, and see how I feel in a month.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:19 am

I'll be taking a sabbatical at 50% pay for the months of June and July. I'll return to work on August 1st and will promptly put in my two-weeks notice. My hope that the economy is still looking down in August and my employer will be looking for people to take voluntary severance (I'll gladly take four-months pay while in law school). :D

RexAllDay

Postby RexAllDay » Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 am

chadwick218 wrote:I'll be taking a sabbatical at 50% pay for the months of June and July. I'll return to work on August 1st and will promptly put in my two-weeks notice. My hope that the economy is still looking down in August and my employer will be looking for people to take voluntary severance (I'll gladly take four-months pay while in law school). :D

Thats a great plan. But how did you get the sabbatical?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:29 am

RexAllDay wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I'll be taking a sabbatical at 50% pay for the months of June and July. I'll return to work on August 1st and will promptly put in my two-weeks notice. My hope that the economy is still looking down in August and my employer will be looking for people to take voluntary severance (I'll gladly take four-months pay while in law school). :D

They were searching for volunteers as the summer months (especially June and July) are generally not very chargeable. The sabbatical was Part 1 of the plan to not lay-off any additional employees. Part 2 will be a round of voluntary severance if the “economy” does not pick-up.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 28, 2009 11:35 am

chadwick218 wrote:
RexAllDay wrote:

They were searching for volunteers as the summer months (especially June and July) are generally not very chargeable. The sabbatical was Part 1 of the plan to not lay-off any additional employees. Part 2 will be a round of voluntary severance if the “economy” does not pick-up.

Damn, I wish I could do that. guess I just have to settle for 2+ weeks of vacation pay :(

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu May 28, 2009 12:30 pm

One day left until I'm on a 7 week vacation on a beach. Oh it's so close...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”