So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kimenaim

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby kimenaim » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:16 pm

i am soooooooo ready to quit!!! As bad as things are right now with regard to jobs, I should be happy to have one. However, i'm fed up with being expected to complete tasks that have no clear objectives and then being disrespected for not having read my bosses mind about what those objective should be. I don't get paid enough to put up with that kind of BS.

I work in market research, and having a boss that nitpicks every g-d meaningless detail is rediculous. Here's the deal - if I'm gonna spend 2 days being lectured on why saying "particularly like" is better than saying "like" in a questionnaire about shoes, or wether the background of a page should be blue or yellow, someones life better F-ing depend on it! I'm tired of wasting time on things that are this stupid and worthless. I'd rather be a lawyer where something valuable really is at stake, where small details really do make a difference.

I cannot WAIT to get started!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:28 pm

Can't wait!!!! I have a date marked on my calender already! I'm going to try and give myself 4-5 weeks off to relax on the beach and look for an apt if need be.

carolinagirl0724

Postby carolinagirl0724 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:30 pm

I told another one of the account execs I was leaving on May 1st today. I feel excited/sick. I am excited that I told someone about my plans, but feeling a freaked out because now it's really real.

That said..May, please hurry up.

dantimreynolds

Postby dantimreynolds » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm

carolinagirl0724 wrote:I told another one of the account execs I was leaving on May 1st today. I feel excited/sick. I am excited that I told someone about my plans, but feeling a freaked out because now it's really real.

That said..May, please hurry up.

+1 but with may 15th.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm actually going to be a bit sad to leave my job. I was incredibly fortunate to get a job at a small tech company that gave me my very own product to design and build. I'm gonna get weepy in five months having to hand my baby off to someone else :(

carine44

Postby carine44 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Yesterday I asked my boss if I can work from home one day a week - haven't gotten the final word but it seems promising! That would be fantastic...one less day in heels and rush hour traffic, I'd get to indulge in daytime television, taking a nap at lunch...I really hope he says yes.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:23 pm

My heart says quit, but my bills and rent say otherwise...plus I'm getting promoted/pay bump in May, which may be a boost to my LOCIs if I'm on waitlists still...and it doesn't hurt to earn a few extra $$ in June/July...
On a seperate note, carine I LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar. Pizza Hut and reading, all the way!

carine44

Postby carine44 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:32 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:My heart says quit, but my bills and rent say otherwise...plus I'm getting promoted/pay bump in May, which may be a boost to my LOCIs if I'm on waitlists still...and it doesn't hurt to earn a few extra $$ in June/July...
On a seperate note, carine I LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar. Pizza Hut and reading, all the way!

:D Thanks! Free pizza for reading, which I did all the time anyway = best deal ever.

roguebear

Postby roguebear » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:32 am

mllerustad wrote:
roguebear wrote:Yea i'm definitely ready to leave too. I have one of those engineering jobs that has not been that intellectually stimulating as of now. I can't wait for school to start. I will probably leave a little early to travel, but I need the paycheck and maybe even more importantly, the health insurance. I might need surgery on a bum shoulder in the next few months.

What state are you in? I'm covered under my parents' health insurance still because Minnesota passed a law last year requiring insurers to cover kids up to age 26 unless they opt-out or get married. I think Utah has a similar law, might be other states as well.

If your parents have insurance, worth checking out.

(This is basically the one thing that kept me from freaking out after I graduated with no job prospects.)

I'm in california. From what my dad looked into before, he can cover me until i'm 28 only if i'm a student. Since I wouldn't be a student until i actually start school in the fall, I can't get on their policy.

LawApp2012

Postby LawApp2012 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:59 am

I'm actually really nervous and stressed about quitting. I've been with my company for almost 5 years, they have no idea I applied to law school, and I still haven't figured out exactly what to say when I tell them. The hardest part is that I really love my job and the people I work with, so I'm feeling a lot of guilt. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to start law school! I'm just nervous about the quitting part.

I want to work until August, but I feel obligated to tell them in April and give them 4-5 months notice. There's a slight chance that I might be let go sooner, but there's no one even close to ready to replace me right now and I just feel that it's the right thing to do. Anyone else in this situation?

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:09 pm

I have a meeting with HR next Tuesday to discuss the possibility of a voluntary severance package!!!!!

IAFarmGirl

Postby IAFarmGirl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:10 pm

carrowd3 wrote:I have a meeting with HR next Tuesday to discuss the possibility of a voluntary severance package!!!!!

Sad that I'm jealous.

ShadowRabbit

Postby ShadowRabbit » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:10 am

In what would be considered a disastrous personal relations blunder anywhere else, but is par for the course at where i work, our manager just told the wait staff that half of them would be fired in two months.

So thats cheery. Should be a fun place to work for a couple more months. Nothing spells fun like everyone worried their about to lose their jobs. I wonder if I can go to law school early, like in June. I'll sweep the floors if they want.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:18 pm

carrowd3 wrote:I have a meeting with HR next Tuesday to discuss the possibility of a voluntary severance package!!!!!

I had my meeting. It went well, but HR didn't give me an answer. He said that he'd have a better idea about it in a few days.

rvill7

Postby rvill7 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Anyone one else find it incredibly difficult to focus on work even when there are deadlines?

Advice on staying motivated in my lame job would be much appreciated!

Hyder

Postby Hyder » Wed May 13, 2009 1:34 pm

My gig is "at will employment" . Which means: end of may = I resign at will. hello 5'oclock shadow, hello sleeping in, hello freedom.
Last edited by Hyder on Wed May 13, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Back2School

Postby Back2School » Wed May 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Last day is 2 weeks from today bi-yatches!!!!

dantimreynolds

Postby dantimreynolds » Wed May 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Back2School wrote:Last day is 2 weeks from today bi-yatches!!!!

last day is 2 DAYS from today bi-yatches!

O and the managing partner stopped by my office today to personally suggest that I try to be a summer clerk at the firm.

Badass!

rvill7

Postby rvill7 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Here through July...gahhh

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:38 pm

July 31st....... FML

Rambiggler

Postby Rambiggler » Wed May 13, 2009 1:45 pm

i am so so so ready!!! but it's so hard to decide when to stop recieving my pay check...

i'm probably going to go the route of making my last month full of sick days and leave early/come late as much as possible....

i would like to travel after quitting and before starting law school... but the cost of such a trip gets the opportunity cost of my lost paychecks added on top of it...

any recommendations on how much time to take between quitting/starting shool? is taking some a good idea?

jewelta

Postby jewelta » Wed May 13, 2009 1:45 pm

July 31st as well. No sense in leaving sooner, since at the moment I'm literally getting paid to sit around, browse TLS and obsess about the NW WL...

...actually that's not so much what I'm getting paid to, more like what I'm doing while neglecting all the work I have that's way passed its deadline.

NewtonCampusKid

Postby NewtonCampusKid » Wed May 13, 2009 1:46 pm

July 31st here as well. Lame.

UandIaresplittsville

Postby UandIaresplittsville » Wed May 13, 2009 1:46 pm

July 1. 2 weeks getting an apartment sorted out, 2 weeks in France, 2 weeks moving. Yay.

Hook 'Em

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 1:47 pm

hoffb86 wrote:July 31st....... FML

+1 :cry:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”