So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kramer22

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby kramer22 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:30 pm

kak23 wrote:
ShadowRabbit wrote:Just worked my last valentine's day as a server. Oh thank god.

+1

It was hell.

+2 Cannot wait until these days are done.

cho

Postby cho » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:46 pm

i have started to consider leaving my job early to become a dive master in thailand or somewhere comparable...

the more i think about it, the more excited i become and the harder it is to concentrate on work.

JuryDueT1000

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:51 pm

cho wrote:i have started to consider leaving my job early to become a dive master in thailand or somewhere comparable...

the more i think about it, the more excited i become and the harder it is to concentrate on work.

Please don't take offense to what I'm about to say, because I don't mean any harm, but...

If the thought of going to Thailand to become a dive master excites you so much, and you're actually serious about doing it, why in the hell would you want to become a lawyer???
Last edited by JuryDueT1000 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiramisu

Postby tiramisu » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:54 pm

I love my coworkers and my company, but things are just really slow at work these days. i might die of boredom. They laid off a noticeable number of people in the last 2 months, so I'm still very thankful to have this job, but I need a challenge!
i'll be working til end of june. gotta save money for traveling and save a little for law school.

cho

Postby cho » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:02 pm

JuryDueT1000 wrote:
cho wrote:i have started to consider leaving my job early to become a dive master in thailand or somewhere comparable...

Please don't take offense to what I'm about to say, because I don't mean any harm, but...

If the thought of going to Thailand to become a dive master excites you so much, and you're actually serious about doing it, why in the hell would you want to become a lawyer???

because i have absolutely no interest in being a dive instructor for the rest of my life, and i'm not independently wealthy so can't afford to spend my days loafing about, diving at my leisure?

i'm not seeing the conflict here.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pomona

Postby pomona » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Just told my manager this week that I'm going to law school. He offered to let me stay for another year if I wanted to defer....

...thanks, but no thanks, boss...

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:50 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pomona

Postby pomona » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:51 pm

AJaKe wrote:
pomona wrote:Just told my manager this week that I'm going to law school. He offered to let me stay for another year if I wanted to defer....

...thanks, but no thanks, boss...

Let you stay? Was he planning on firing you?

Haha no but I was hired with the mutual understanding that I was thinking about going to law school and wanted to get some related experience for a couple of years before making the decision. He made the offer more as a joke; he knows I'm itching to go back to school.

Zephyr873

Postby Zephyr873 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:57 am

Oh my God I am so ready to quit. I've set the date for June 15th. Does being a Research and Development drone for an engineering company sound fun to any of you??? Didn't think so.

Oh yeah I HAVENT told them. So whenever I am disrespected at work or looked down upon, I just want to scream.

I work at one of those mind-bending, intelligence-quashing, intellectually-stifling jobs that should absolutely NOT be anyone's precurser to a legal education, considering I feel stupider every single day. I will desperately need six weeks between work and law school. I plan on reading a book every week to jumpstart my neurotransmitters.

That being said, I'm overcompensated so I find ways to deal with my generally high levels of anomie. One of my mechanisms is to sit on TLS all day and post replies to nearly every forum that has some relevance to my law school application experience.

Oh, and my office-mate has Pica Disorder. For the medically aloof, it means she has the psychological urge to chew tasteless materials all day. She chews paper, paperclips and my favorite, the endless crunching of ICE BETWEEN HER GODDAMN TEETH.

Kill me.

LGK

Postby LGK » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:52 pm

The biggest downside of (likely) going to U Chicago I can think of is that I'll probably stay at my job until mid-September instead of leaving in mid-August. :( I just can't justify leaving the paycheck and doing nothing for a month.

7 more months seems like such a long time to keep taking the abuse...

lucydog

Postby lucydog » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:00 pm

I am actually looking for a job...sigh. Hard to get when you only want a 4 or 5 month gig.

beepermad

Postby beepermad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 pm

I work in the insurance biz.

'Nuff said.

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:29 pm

I've been "retired" for a couple of weeks now. I didn't realize just how much stress work caused in my life.

JuryDueT1000

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:I've been "retired" for a couple of weeks now. I didn't realize just how much stress work caused in my life.

+1

ShadowRabbit

Postby ShadowRabbit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:52 pm

3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy. 3 more months of waiting tables makes Jack a dull boy.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:53 pm

4 more months of paralegal work here.... but at least I got a bonus check today!!!!

JuryDueT1000

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:59 pm

No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

bmdubs

Postby bmdubs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:04 pm

JuryDueT1000 wrote:No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Go Crazy?

mllerustad

Postby mllerustad » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:06 pm

I WAS planning on deferring for a year--pay off some more undergrad debt, wait until The Boy graduates law school so I can drag him along--but although I work with good people my job is boring me to tears.

Hopefully someone will give me lots of money and I'll use that as an excuse (since scholarships typically don't carry over)...

ShadowRabbit

Postby ShadowRabbit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:19 pm

bmdubs wrote:
JuryDueT1000 wrote:No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something... No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Go Crazy?

Don't mind if I do!!!! WHOOGHOOHOGHOHOOOHOHOOHOHOHO!

roguebear

Postby roguebear » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Yea i'm definitely ready to leave too. I have one of those engineering jobs that has not been that intellectually stimulating as of now. I can't wait for school to start. I will probably leave a little early to travel, but I need the paycheck and maybe even more importantly, the health insurance. I might need surgery on a bum shoulder in the next few months.

billykraus

Postby billykraus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:53 pm

roguebear wrote:Yea i'm definitely ready to leave too. I have one of those engineering jobs that has not been that intellectually stimulating as of now. I can't wait for school to start. I will probably leave a little early to travel, but I need the paycheck and maybe even more importantly, the health insurance. I might need surgery on a bum shoulder in the next few months.

I hear ya. I had all but walked out the door (had/still have all my things packed up, etc) when I realized that I sort of needed health insurance. Actually I believe it was my mother who induced this paranoia in me ("omg what if you get appendicitis?!?!")...so now I am getting through this job minute by minute. When I quit I plan on signing up for that really crappy, $30/month health insurance, just to get by and make sure I don't rack up crazy debt. But I'm trying to put that off as long as I can...total buzzkill :x

ShadowRabbit

Postby ShadowRabbit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:56 pm

Haha, I work at a job that doesn't give us health insurance, so I am the winner, suckers....

.... wait....

mllerustad

Postby mllerustad » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:59 pm

roguebear wrote:Yea i'm definitely ready to leave too. I have one of those engineering jobs that has not been that intellectually stimulating as of now. I can't wait for school to start. I will probably leave a little early to travel, but I need the paycheck and maybe even more importantly, the health insurance. I might need surgery on a bum shoulder in the next few months.

What state are you in? I'm covered under my parents' health insurance still because Minnesota passed a law last year requiring insurers to cover kids up to age 26 unless they opt-out or get married. I think Utah has a similar law, might be other states as well.

If your parents have insurance, worth checking out.

(This is basically the one thing that kept me from freaking out after I graduated with no job prospects.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”