So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nyyankees

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby nyyankees » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:31 am

is it sad that im applying for the fall of 2010, as in class of 2013 and im already planning when im leaving? I am actually im a pretty decent spot right now financially (other than 70k in UG loans), but i know that next spring, im quitting and spending my time traveling to morocco, egypt, dubai and india. Maybe its bad that after 6 months of working ive decided that i cant wait to quit.

Either way, congrats on getting out of your respective hell holes, and good luck in your time off

ettalynn

Postby ettalynn » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:45 pm

I have dreams of moving to a new city in June and settling in/relaxing until school starts. Then I remember my credit card bills and lack of savings and start stressing about whether I could find a job waiting tables for three months and actually support myself until school starts. Damn! I guess I am stuck at my job at least through July.

Is anyone else hiding that they've applied to law school from their employer? Any ideas on how to gracefully quit without revealing that you've been lying to them since you took the LSAT in June?

tempurabanana

Postby tempurabanana » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:22 am

ettalynn wrote:I have dreams of moving to a new city in June and settling in/relaxing until school starts. Then I remember my credit card bills and lack of savings and start stressing about whether I could find a job waiting tables for three months and actually support myself until school starts. Damn! I guess I am stuck at my job at least through July.

Is anyone else hiding that they've applied to law school from their employer? Any ideas on how to gracefully quit without revealing that you've been lying to them since you took the LSAT in June?

I just told mine that I took the LSAT (October) on a whim, scored well, and decided to apply. So you could always just say you applied for shits and giggles.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 am

ettalynn wrote:I have dreams of moving to a new city in June and settling in/relaxing until school starts. Then I remember my credit card bills and lack of savings and start stressing about whether I could find a job waiting tables for three months and actually support myself until school starts. Damn! I guess I am stuck at my job at least through July.

I feel the same way. I'm most likely going from Pburgh to Tampa. I'm dreaming of nice weather and the beach. I don't have much credit card debt, but I still don't know how I'd be able to afford to live for 3 months without much income. I'm trying to figure out how to get a severance from my company to help with that!

Yes, I've hidden the fact that I'm leaving in a couple of months. I'm not worried about gracefully quiting. I'm pretty sure that they understand that business is business. Law school is a business decision for me and if they'd known that I was leaving, I'd most likely have been layed off last November when they had a restructuring.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:48 pm

carrowd3 wrote:

I feel the same way. I'm most likely going from Pburgh to Tampa. I'm dreaming of nice weather and the beach. I don't have much credit card debt, but I still don't know how I'd be able to afford to live for 3 months without much income. I'm trying to figure out how to get a severance from my company to help with that!

Yes, I've hidden the fact that I'm leaving in a couple of months. I'm not worried about gracefully quiting. I'm pretty sure that they understand that business is business. Law school is a business decision for me and if they'd known that I was leaving, I'd most likely have been layed off last November when they had a restructuring.

werd to that. ive hid it from most of my superiors (mainly the ones that have the power to lay me off), but a bunch of my coworkers know

scaredstiff165

Postby scaredstiff165 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:48 pm

I k
Last edited by scaredstiff165 on Thu May 14, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuryDueT1000

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 pm

scaredstiff165 wrote:I told my boss I'm going to stay until the end of the month and then I'm going home. YES! FREEDOM!

Awesome! Enjoy it...

I have five months to go, and I'm counting down every day...

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:
carrowd3 wrote:

werd to that. ive hid it from most of my superiors (mainly the ones that have the power to lay me off), but a bunch of my coworkers know

Same here, I have a few confidants. The word is that there will be a voluntary lay-off by the end of the quarter 2. I will be taking it if it comes up. The severance for me would be a month's salary and I'd be able to collect unemployment. What a perfect situation for me to work on my patent bar!! I hope it works out.

scaredstiff165 wrote:I told my boss I'm going to stay until the end of the month and then I'm going home. YES! FREEDOM!

I bet that you are pumped!

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:58 pm

I've been counting the days ever since I got my first acceptance in early December. I think it comes from being a runner for years, but my strategy for coping so far has been to break up the time left into more manageable chunks. First, I was like, okay, I have to stay long enough to get my Christmas bonus. Then, when I got there, I was like, okay, I have to stay until my 401(k) vests again. Well, that happens in a handful of days, so if anyone has any ideas for milestones I could use after that, let me know. I really didn't want to come into work today, and I'm currently looking at at least 3-4 months left to go. (I want to have a couple of months off to relax and recharge, but I can't have too long of a gap or I'll run out of savings.) If I don't come up with something soon, I'm afraid I'll just get fed up and quit, and I really don't want to have 6 months of rent, health insurance, and living expenses with no income....

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:01 pm

dlm2100 wrote:I'm really interested in what it is that those of you who despise your job so much do on a daily basis. It's none of my business, but it could be educational in the sense that I'd tell others to avoid these sort of places/jobs. Do share.

Sales and marketing, and I get paid FAR too little. Took a large pay cut from my last job, when I got laid off.

Just trying to make ends meet, and I want to SCREAM.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:05 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
dlm2100 wrote:I'm really interested in what it is that those of you who despise your job so much do on a daily basis. It's none of my business, but it could be educational in the sense that I'd tell others to avoid these sort of places/jobs. Do share.

Sales and marketing, and I get paid FAR too little. Took a large pay cut from my last job, when I got laid off.

Just trying to make ends meet, and I want to SCREAM.

I'm a chemist sitting in a dirty sulfur lab. My superiors steal my ideas and pawn them as their own. I'm currently working on a presentation for tomorrow so that I can give my manager all of my ideas. I turned down a Columbia PhD fellowship to do this. I suck at life.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Not moving to a new city, and the funny thing is, my bosses (right on up the chain) all know I took the LSAT, and are pulling for me to do well. The ironic point here: they all think I'm going back part time (they've assumed this, I haven't mentioned either way), which is why they kept me on when there were layoffs toward the end of last year. They cut half of my team, but kept me, thinking I'm going to be here at least 2-3 more years.

Little do they know...muhahahahahaha.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm totally like Peter in Office Space, where I stare off for at least an hour in the morning, then again after lunch...I feel like I'm wasting mega brain cells here.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm a chemist, too. When I was hired, I was told it was for an R&D (research & development, in case people don't know) position. Instead, I just make small scale production batches over and over again. It requires some minuscule fraction of my brainpower, as well as pays me a fraction of what some of my college classmates, who don't have the grades, awards, or research experience I do, make. Plus, my company is extremely unprofessional and has a quite frightening, cavalier attitude towards safety. Needless to say, I am counting the days.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:35 pm

ILikeIke wrote:I'm a chemist, too. When I was hired, I was told it was for an R&D (research & development, in case people don't know) position. Instead, I just make small scale production batches over and over again. It requires some minuscule fraction of my brainpower, as well as pays me a fraction of what some of my college classmates, who don't have the grades, awards, or research experience I do, make. Plus, my company is extremely unprofessional and has a quite frightening, cavalier attitude towards safety. Needless to say, I am counting the days.

We have PhDs from extremely good schools (Harvard, MIT, CalTech, etc) with 10 years experience doing the job you describe. I wanted to see what industry was all about before committing my life toward a PhD, post-doc, etc. I learned that I'd be doing the same job that I have now if I had earned a PhD, except I'd start at 75K instead of 50K and have a little higher ceiling. A department manager is about the highest obtainable position for a PhD Chemist and they make about 120K and there isn't anyone with that job younger than 50.

I design plastic opthalmic lenses. My boss was in Thailand for the past 6 weeks. During that time, I developed a brand new product with no guidance. She had and has no idea what is going on, but she will be the one pitching my product to the sales/marketing folks this Friday. They will assume that she is god and she will be rewarded. Meanwhile, I was informed today that I will not be getting a bonus this year. It was only going to be like $800 anyways. I really need that money!!

Safety is ridiculous here. I have to wear nitrile gloves to blow my nose. I did, however, see a picture taken in my lab from the 50s or 60s. The technician was cleaning a 4L flask with acetone over the sink, no gloves, no lab coat, no glasses, while smoking a cigarette.

billykraus

Postby billykraus » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:31 pm

After being accused of flirting too much with the male attorneys in our office, I have finally decided to quit my job.

Anyone have any creative ideas? I am looking to note my acceptances into much better schools than the one our firm hypes up. Also, I don't really care about burning bridges at this point; they are already pretty much gone.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:35 pm

I would have been, if I hadn't been laid off in January. Got that severance package through April though, so it really was a blessing in disguise. Once my severance and the rainy day savings run out, I am subletting out my apartment and moving back to my middle-of-nowhere hometown :mrgreen:

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:36 pm

billykraus wrote:After being accused of flirting too much with the male attorneys in our office, I have finally decided to quit my job.

Anyone have any creative ideas? I am looking to note my acceptances into much better schools than the one our firm hypes up. Also, I don't really care about burning bridges at this point; they are already pretty much gone.

How about a frivolous SH lawsuit? :idea:

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:26 pm

billykraus wrote:After being accused of flirting too much with the male attorneys in our office, I have finally decided to quit my job.

One of my rare instances of good advice. Don't. do. anything. stupid. Walk away from there with a courteous goodbye email and the knowledge that in 3 years you'll be doing better than they are.

ShadowRabbit

Postby ShadowRabbit » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:50 pm

Just worked my last valentine's day as a server. Oh thank god.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:53 pm

I am soooo ready to move on with my life. Only 6 months left....weee. I'm going to save up my PTO so I can have a few extra weeks to move and catch my breath before school.

missv463

Postby missv463 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:53 pm

i wanted to peace out in may before i had to do my year-end performance review, but i just got staffed on a new project, so i may work up until July.... we'll see, though.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Last edited by youpiiz on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meesawoosa

Postby meesawoosa » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:47 pm

i've already set my last day of work for mid-may... i work at an accounting/business advisory firm, so i didn't want to make things hard on my co-workers by leaving before the end of tax season in april.

i like my work and am very grateful to have a job in this economy, but i'm excited to get back to school. i've def. learned a lot here though, and i'm glad i deferred rather than going straight through.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:34 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:Just worked my last valentine's day as a server. Oh thank god.

+1

It was hell.

labellavita

Postby labellavita » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:27 pm

i like my work and am very grateful to have a job in this economy, but i'm excited to get back to school. i've def. learned a lot here though, and i'm glad i deferred rather than going straight through.

Exactly how I feel.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”