So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
x47point6
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby x47point6 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Just gave three weeks’ notice. Then it’s off on my first vacation longer than four days in more than four years.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:54 pm

This is my first weekday without a job.

It's... pretty great.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby sibley » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 pm


User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 pm

sibley wrote:http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-quits-her-job-on-dry-erase-board-emails-entire-office-33-photos/

I wish I had her idea.


What an HPOA.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby angiej » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:47 pm

I told my boss I was applying to law schools (and he wrote me an excellent LOR) and then today I am told my job is being consolidated and I have a week left. To add insult, he said that since I'm going off to law school anyway, I don't need this job. *sigh* Should have kept my mouth shut I guess. I worked there for five years, someone who worked there for 25 will be taking over my duties.

MJMD
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby MJMD » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 pm

22 hours remaining. Get me outta here!

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby jmhendri » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 pm

3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


OH MY GOD I HATE THIS JOB AND CANNOT WAIT TO GTFO.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:09 pm

I already quit. I had planned to work all the way to law school orientation, but I couldn't take it. Feels great to not work for minimum wage plus tips while catering to fat people.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:24 pm

I've been off since June 5th. :D

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby sibley » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:29 pm

angiej wrote:I told my boss I was applying to law schools (and he wrote me an excellent LOR) and then today I am told my job is being consolidated and I have a week left. To add insult, he said that since I'm going off to law school anyway, I don't need this job. *sigh* Should have kept my mouth shut I guess. I worked there for five years, someone who worked there for 25 will be taking over my duties.


ouch. consolidated means they don't have enough work for you which means you can at least apply for unemployment.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby angiej » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:47 pm

sibley wrote:
angiej wrote:I told my boss I was applying to law schools (and he wrote me an excellent LOR) and then today I am told my job is being consolidated and I have a week left. To add insult, he said that since I'm going off to law school anyway, I don't need this job. *sigh* Should have kept my mouth shut I guess. I worked there for five years, someone who worked there for 25 will be taking over my duties.


ouch. consolidated means they don't have enough work for you which means you can at least apply for unemployment.

Yes, this may be a blessing but I really didn't want it to look like I was fired and had no other prospects so I decided on law school which is obviously not the case.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby jmhendri » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:49 pm

1 DAY LEFT UNTIL I NEVER HAVE TO ASK FOR COVERAGE BEFORE I AM ALLOWED TO USE THE RESTROOM AGAIN!

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:52 pm

jmhendri wrote:1 DAY LEFT UNTIL I NEVER HAVE TO ASK FOR COVERAGE BEFORE I AM ALLOWED TO USE THE RESTROOM AGAIN!

Tell me about it! I had to announce every time I wanted to take a leak. If not, I face the wrath of an obese manager that is twenty-one, married, and working in the U.S. with a fake SSN and fake green card. And no type of formal education. Not even a GED. Yeah, my job sucked!

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby trialjunky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:29 am

Last Day!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby jmhendri » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:16 pm

15 minutes. It's been a long journey, quit job thread. I thank you all and feel for those of you who still have a ways to go.

Good bye and good luck...
MUAH!

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby MURPH » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 pm

I finished work a few weeks ago but I have to back on Labor Day weekend. I am getting a mortgage and we close the week after Labor Day. The lender said I need to have a job (even though the GI Bill will cover more than my mortgage and my wife works.) So my boss agreed to keep me on the books until I get the mortgage only if I work that weekend.
That means flying back to Hawaii, working two 12 hour night shifts, returning to LA over a three day weekend.
At least I can study on the plane and I can usually study for a few hours while at work.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby kazu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:59 am

MEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

jmhendri wrote:OH MY GOD I HATE THIS JOB AND CANNOT WAIT TO GTFO.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby TUP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am

How early is too early to quit when thinking of how it looks when applying during 1L?

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby piccolittle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 am

TUP wrote:How early is too early to quit when thinking of how it looks when applying during 1L?


Hahahaha I was going through that thought every day a couple of weeks ago.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby TUP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 am

piccolittle wrote:
TUP wrote:How early is too early to quit when thinking of how it looks when applying during 1L?


Hahahaha I was going through that thought every day a couple of weeks ago.


I'm sure there are quite a few of us out there. Is it really only February?

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby clintonius » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:55 am

Quitting at any point before August (or mid-July if you have an early start) will leave most 1L employers pretty sour. It also apparently really hurts your chances with most big firms, though public interest orgs hiring 2Ls don't seem to care as much.

User avatar
pu_golf88
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:34 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby pu_golf88 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am

1 year, 4 months until I quit.

Damn that was depressing.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby TommyK » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm

angiej wrote:
sibley wrote:
angiej wrote:I told my boss I was applying to law schools (and he wrote me an excellent LOR) and then today I am told my job is being consolidated and I have a week left. To add insult, he said that since I'm going off to law school anyway, I don't need this job. *sigh* Should have kept my mouth shut I guess. I worked there for five years, someone who worked there for 25 will be taking over my duties.


ouch. consolidated means they don't have enough work for you which means you can at least apply for unemployment.

Yes, this may be a blessing but I really didn't want it to look like I was fired and had no other prospects so I decided on law school which is obviously not the case.


It won't look like that. The timeline doesn't suggest that to anybody who knows anything about the application process. Seriously, this is about the best thing that you could have asked for. I mean, preferrably, it would have happened about 4 months later, but damn - I pray everyday that I get laid off in July.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 pm

angiej wrote:
sibley wrote:
angiej wrote:I told my boss I was applying to law schools (and he wrote me an excellent LOR) and then today I am told my job is being consolidated and I have a week left. To add insult, he said that since I'm going off to law school anyway, I don't need this job. *sigh* Should have kept my mouth shut I guess. I worked there for five years, someone who worked there for 25 will be taking over my duties.


ouch. consolidated means they don't have enough work for you which means you can at least apply for unemployment.

Yes, this may be a blessing but I really didn't want it to look like I was fired and had no other prospects so I decided on law school which is obviously not the case.


I was hoping this will happen toward the summer so I can collect UC for my 1L year, and I will get a part-time job for 2L.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby brose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm waiting until late July. I work in law, and they know I'm leaving so I guess that's a relief.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests