So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
de5igual

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby de5igual » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 am

just gave my 2 week notice yesterday!!

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I just helped a patient get listed for a transplant last minute because a family member went brain dead and could donate. I hope law is this rewarding :)

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:34 pm

This is to notify you that on 15:31 06-24-10 a message was received on the Digital Speech Systems, Inc. voice mail server in mailbox #553 from ***-***-****. At the time the message was received there were 34 new voice messages, 0 new fax messages and 34 messages total in the mailbox. To play the message open the attached file. To delete or save the message you must call the Digital Speech Systems, Inc. voice mail server and login to mailbox #553.

I think I win. 34 new voice messages.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:37 pm

historyholly wrote:I just helped a patient get listed for a transplant last minute because a family member went brain dead and could donate. I hope law is this rewarding :)

prolly won't be.

Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm

After tomorrow, just 4 more weeks!! :D

I keep debating whether or not I should stay longer to get some extra $$, but then I remember how happy I get thinking about my last day.

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Last day will be the day before orientation starts (Sept 1 or 2, can't remember) if I can swing it. I'm sort of scared about giving my notice for some reason.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:44 pm

2 weeks from today, i cannot wait, too bad i need money

ExcitedBlutterance

Postby ExcitedBlutterance » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:02 pm

I gave notice last week. I'm staying until 7/30 though.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:25 am

4 more weeks! Can't wait!

AsylumPB

Postby AsylumPB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 am

AsylumPB wrote:Just received some great news from my employer! I put in my notice about two weeks ago with my last day scheduled to be June 30. Tuesday, an announcement was made that the company I work for is restructuring and laying a bunch of people off, so my district manager called and told me that he listed me as being laid off instead of resigning so I still get a severance package when I leave! How sweet is that?! Now I will be getting paid to sit on my ass for a month and a half!

Update: Bad news today. My last day is scheduled to be Wednesday and a guy in my branch applied for a position with another branch last week and got the job. HR just called and "offered" myself and one other employee the position. We both already had plans, so we had to decline the position, hence they are taking away the severance package that I was going to receive in two days. What a bunch of shit! This is technically legal, but to me, it is highly unethical. I FUCKING HATE THIS PLACE!!! Now the extra money I had plans for is down the fucking tube and I can't do shit about it!

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 am

AsylumPB wrote:
AsylumPB wrote:Just received some great news from my employer! I put in my notice about two weeks ago with my last day scheduled to be June 30. Tuesday, an announcement was made that the company I work for is restructuring and laying a bunch of people off, so my district manager called and told me that he listed me as being laid off instead of resigning so I still get a severance package when I leave! How sweet is that?! Now I will be getting paid to sit on my ass for a month and a half!

Update: Bad news today. My last day is scheduled to be Wednesday and a guy in my branch applied for a position with another branch last week and got the job. HR just called and "offered" myself and one other employee the position. We both already had plans, so we had to decline the position, hence they are taking away the severance package that I was going to receive in two days. What a bunch of shit! This is technically legal, but to me, it is highly unethical. I FUCKING HATE THIS PLACE!!! Now the extra money I had plans for is down the fucking tube and I can't do shit about it!

Should have accepted to see how they would have reacted. You could have just quit the next day.
Also, I think the unethical thing was for your District Manager to list you as laid off. Sucks that you were planning on the money, but you are no worse off than your original plans. Relax an enjoy your time off, don't dwell on this crap. :)

AsylumPB

Postby AsylumPB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 am

CG614 wrote:
AsylumPB wrote:

Should have accepted to see how they would have reacted. You could have just quit the next day.
Also, I think the unethical thing was for your District Manager to list you as laid off. Sucks that you were planning on the money, but you are no worse off than your original plans. Relax an enjoy your time off, don't dwell on this crap. :)

I just feel sorry for the other guy. I tried to go back and accept the position so that he would still get his severance, but HR said that it was a one-time offer and the position is no longer available to me. Honestly, it doesn't hurt me that much, just have to use my money a little more wisely the next few months (and years). I feel really bad for the other guy, though. His wife has accepted a postion in Pennsylvania and they are already in the process of moving.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:21 am

After 7 years of work, today's the last day for me.

I kind of wish I hated my job so it'd be that much sweeter. In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to the longest vacation (6 weeks!) I've had since I was in knee britches.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 pm

I am counting the days until I do not have to listen to my co-worker in the cube next to me chewing relentlessly, smacking constantly on bubble gum, slurping coffee for what seems like an eternity and sucking on peppermints with mouth agape. I have to rely upon an ipod to drown the noise, except now I can't hear her creep up behind me every five minutes to look at my computer screen!!!! I am losing my mind... 29 more days!

Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Question: Should I even write a resignation letter?

I mean, I've told everyone a long while ago that I'm leaving in three weeks.

It's just my boss is going through some kind of denial and keeps telling me to let him know how much I think I can work once school starts. I want to be nice and say that I can come in on a case-by-case basis when he needs me and when it fits into my schedule. If I do this, does that mean I technically resigned? or that I've become a part-time employee? a temp? How would that work? Sending a formal resignation letter would be odd and would offend him, but a written notice is required when you quit.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Alyssa wrote:Question: Should I even write a resignation letter?

I mean, I've told everyone a long while ago that I'm leaving in three weeks.

It's just my boss is going through some kind of denial and keeps telling me to let him know how much I think I can work once school starts. I want to be nice and say that I can come in on a case-by-case basis when he needs me and when it fits into my schedule. If I do this, does that mean I technically resigned? or that I've become a part-time employee? a temp? How would that work? Sending a formal resignation letter would be odd and would offend him, but a written notice is required when you quit.

Ask how much he'll pay per hour for 10 hours a week. Make it at least twice what you get an hour now.

slider

Postby slider » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:34 pm

5 weeks and I'm only giving myself 1 week off before orientation. Starting to regret this...

sapp

Postby sapp » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:54 pm

My replacement starts next week then 2.5 weeks of training and I'm gone.
I feel a little odd about leaving a job that has been so good to me.

But my main concern right now is what am I going to train my replacement on for THAT long? There's only so many ways I can say "When its slow like this and I'm bored I usually get on TLS or failblog." After about 6 hours of that on day 1 she'll probably think it's some kind of joke.

scgoaliface32

Postby scgoaliface32 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:24 pm

sapp wrote:My replacement starts next week then 2.5 weeks of training and I'm gone.
I feel a little odd about leaving a job that has been so good to me.

But my main concern right now is what am I going to train my replacement on for THAT long? There's only so many ways I can say "When its slow like this and I'm bored I usually get on TLS or failblog." After about 6 hours of that on day 1 she'll probably think it's some kind of joke.

My sentiments exactly, except today is the first day of training. Let's just say I'm seriously considering (edit: I've already done it) to move my last day up at least a week, due to the high level of awkward silences and stupid questions.
Last edited by scgoaliface32 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:34 pm

I only have to step foot in this shithole seven more times!

weee

Postby weee » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm definitely more checked mentally at this point than I was one month ago. I've decided to work 1 day in August just so I have health insurance all the way through, instead of ending on the last work day of July.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:03 pm

I am very ready to quit my job (at least today; I'll see if the minor annoyances that could develop into full blown irritation turn out that way, or if I am bitching unnecessarily). The problem is, it's very unclear, bordering on unlikely, that I will actually go to school in the fall. (I am waiting on two schools still, but who knows what will happen.) Seeing as how my trust fund doesn't exist, there's a problem.

HBK

Postby HBK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:51 am

I have a fifty page proposal due at the end of the month. After I finish that, I figure I'll just show up drunk for a week and spend my time on the internet and gladhanding.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:18 am

Put in my letter of resignation today. August 4th, baby!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:48 am

I'm considering rolling into work next week hiked up on rum and prescription medication. I see no other way to cope with the utter boredom that will be MY LAST FKN WEEK!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”