So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TCScrutinizer

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:13 pm

jmhendri wrote:so 9 weeks is over 2 lifetimes away???

Absolutely.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:18 pm

6 weeks left on the job! Can't wait!

dudders

Postby dudders » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:28 pm

7 weeks to go at the full-time job. I'll be giving my 2 weeks notice at my weekend restaurant gig on Sunday and I couldn't be happier about that ... I've been slinging fajitas for 2 years and if I have to serve one more water no ice with lemon I might punch someone.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:30 pm

dudders wrote:7 weeks to go at the full-time job. I'll be giving my 2 weeks notice at my weekend restaurant gig on Sunday and I couldn't be happier about that ... I've been slinging fajitas for 2 years and if I have to serve one more water no ice with lemon I might punch someone.

What? Why would anyone want to drink water without ice?

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Been working ever since I graduated last May, last day is June 23rd and I couldn't be more excited. Except that I still have 46k in undergrad debt :(.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:46 pm

HazelEyes wrote:
dudders wrote:7 weeks to go at the full-time job. I'll be giving my 2 weeks notice at my weekend restaurant gig on Sunday and I couldn't be happier about that ... I've been slinging fajitas for 2 years and if I have to serve one more water no ice with lemon I might punch someone.

What? Why would anyone want to drink water without ice?

Sensitive teeth..or their british.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:53 pm

HazelEyes wrote:Big kid job. Same job for 4 years.

Yesterday I told my boss i'm leaving August 1st. He turned white and looked like he was going to cry. Seriously.

I've been there long enough that I felt I owed them enough time to properly replace me. I also didn't want them finding out about law school from someone else.

I'm in pretty much the same place, but I got a LOR from my employer, so he wasn't totally blindsided.

Kind of sad about the whole thing :?

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 am

Less than 4 days to go.

Yesterday was the longest Monday of my life. I expect this week to be painful.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:53 am

I have less than one week left! I can't even begin to express how happy I am to leave my shithole of a retail job. I wanted to save another couple thousand than what I have saved now (for first year expenses), but I'll take what I have.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:57 am

I'm not sure when i'll leave. Probably Aug. 1 or so but if I go to MN I probably won't officially leave and will do odds-and-ends stuff if i have the time.

Tell you what, though, I totally want to be done...

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Typically I would think it's ridiculous to leave a $70k+ job for school ITE, but every time I see July 16th (my last day) on the calendar I nearly urinate myself with excitement. This job was somewhat enjoyable 4 years ago but has become progressively less fulfilling every day.

dudders

Postby dudders » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:56 pm

I take that back. Firm laid me off. I will now be frantically waiting tables through July to try to make up that $3k paycheck I was planning to use for moving/cross-country road trip/buying furniture/eating for the month of August.

Thanks, economy!

scgoaliface32

Postby scgoaliface32 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Aw bummer! But hey on the plus side, at least 7 weeks to go :)

slider

Postby slider » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:43 pm

On a brighter note, it will be the last time you will ever have to wait tables. That should be pretty motivating.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:22 pm

slider wrote:On a brighter note, it will be the last time you will ever have to wait tables. That should be pretty motivating.

Totally not true. I wish I had the motivation to look up this article my recent law school grad friend sent me....of how lawyers coming out of law school can't find jobs - with many waiting tables.

Watch what you say. That seemingly foreign idea of waiting tables again may become a certain reality in this economy post-law school.

one of the 1,000 reasons i'm scrapping the law school idea and moving to NYC for a new job and apartment. woot.

good luck everyone!

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:07 pm

It's been a very long week, but with 6 minutes to go, I feel comfortable declaring victory.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:13 pm

dhg5004 wrote:
slider wrote:On a brighter note, it will be the last time you will ever have to wait tables. That should be pretty motivating.

Totally not true. I wish I had the motivation to look up this article my recent law school grad friend sent me....of how lawyers coming out of law school can't find jobs - with many waiting tables.

Watch what you say. That seemingly foreign idea of waiting tables again may become a certain reality in this economy post-law school.

one of the 1,000 reasons i'm scrapping the law school idea and moving to NYC for a new job and apartment. woot.

good luck everyone!

Meh. I was a journalist and that's what the media wants...they want the stories that are going to create "awws" and "ohhhss" and shock. Every industry has people who has to go wait tables when everything else falls through and blah, blah, blah. That's life. The same happens in the working world -- no matter how stable a job may seem, there's still a chance to be laid off. So, in conclusion, and not that I know your situation at all but, no one is ever really safe.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:07 pm

as stars burn wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:

good luck everyone!

Meh. I was a journalist and that's what the media wants...they want the stories that are going to create "awws" and "ohhhss" and shock. Every industry has people who has to go wait tables when everything else falls through and blah, blah, blah. That's life. The same happens in the working world -- no matter how stable a job may seem, there's still a chance to be laid off. So, in conclusion, and not that I know your situation at all but, no one is ever really safe.

Agreed. I'd just rather, if I happen to end up as one of the 'unsafe' ones, not be 100+k in debt.

weee

Postby weee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:20 pm

6 weeks left, and I'm really starting to feel it now, they know I'm going and so they are trying to squeeze every drop out of me they can, but simultaneously have stopped paying attention to me. There's one guy really hot on my tracks, for no good reason, I can't possibly do what he wants before I go but I can definitely get the reasonable goals completed with like a day of work.

wjnahill

Postby wjnahill » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:40 pm

3...days... so........close

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:42 pm

I was in a meeting today and it felt f'n great to hear them talk about upcoming events/projects that are taking place after I leave! I only have to step foot in this office ELEVEN MORE TIMES!

straxen

Postby straxen » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Work at a CPA firm, after getting the go-ahead from the partners, sent a mass e-mail announcing my transition. Within 20 seconds...fellow associate with an office across the hall gets up, charges into my office, slams the door and screams "Dude, What the hell? Seriously?" (Out of 13 associates, he'll be the only guy left once I leave.)

Two weeks to go...so hard to find the motivation to work.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:43 am

straxen wrote:Work at a CPA firm, after getting the go-ahead from the partners, sent a mass e-mail announcing my transition. Within 20 seconds...fellow associate with an office across the hall gets up, charges into my office, slams the door and screams "Dude, What the hell? Seriously?" (Out of 13 associates, he'll be the only guy left once I leave.)

Wow. Wait a minute. 12 associates are leaving your firm? Did I read that completely wrong? lol

straxen

Postby straxen » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:56 am

as stars burn wrote:
straxen wrote:Work at a CPA firm, after getting the go-ahead from the partners, sent a mass e-mail announcing my transition. Within 20 seconds...fellow associate with an office across the hall gets up, charges into my office, slams the door and screams "Dude, What the hell? Seriously?" (Out of 13 associates, he'll be the only guy left once I leave.)

Wow. Wait a minute. 12 associates are leaving your firm? Did I read that completely wrong? lol

Haha no...there are 14 now: 2 male, 12 female. When I leave, the ratio will be 1:12.

My firm's closing the office down at 4 the day I leave and we're all going to get to drunk for a sending-off party. My firm's being verrrry nice to be, suspiciously so.

OrcinusOrcas

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Only TEN more days of work!! ZOMG! (This doesn't include weekend days though). Holy...wow. So close. Even 3+ weeks ago feels like EONS ago. SO. EXCITED. I can hardly stand it. Hang in there guys and gals! Slowly but surely that glorious day of QUIT is coming around for all of us = )

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”