So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GATORTIM

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby GATORTIM » Thu May 27, 2010 12:36 pm

straxen wrote:I'm an associate at an accounting firm and let one of the partners know I'm going to law school yesterday and would need to be gone by July 1. I was almost hoping to get walked immediately or told to leave sooner, but no and I've still got to work for five weeks...ugh. Unexpectedly, everyone's being super nice to me now. I think they see potential future referral source written all over me.

Typically if you tell your employer that you are leaving to go to a competitor they will let you go w/ a couple weeks pay. I really considered doing this, but just didnt fit my character. However, I do hate this f'n place more than I hate cold pancakes with sugar free syrup

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:37 pm

blue5385 wrote:
JCougar wrote:The corporate office culture in a nutshell:

Neither hard work is rewarded nor sloppy work punished. All events that occur or decisions that are made are products of a random, emotional, and irrational bureaucracy whose authority may not and can not be challenged. Outside of this, the only thing to do is kiss ass and wait your turn.

oh, hard work is rewarded alright...with more work that is significantly above one's pay grade (with no raise or promotion, obviously).

The more work you do the more work you get at my company. It is fairly ridiculous. One of my coworkers does about as much as the rest of the department. His request to transfer to a different department for a better job was denied. LOL

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
JCougar wrote:The corporate office culture in a nutshell:

Neither hard work is rewarded nor sloppy work punished. All events that occur or decisions that are made are products of a random, emotional, and irrational bureaucracy whose authority may not and can not be challenged. Outside of this, the only thing to do is kiss ass and wait your turn.

oh, hard work is rewarded alright...with more work that is significantly above one's pay grade (with no raise or promotion, obviously).

The more work you do the more work you get at my company. It is fairly ridiculous. One of my coworkers does about as much as the rest of the department. His request to transfer to a different department for a better job was denied. LOL

I think that's pretty typical of any company. It certainly is/was at the two I've worked for. Hence the hard work not rewarded. It's a problem with the entire culture. They just try to extract as much value from you as they can without paying you for it.

As a lawyer, you get to bill hours, and either your client is satisfied or they aren't. In the corporate world, slacking off is rewarded just as much as success. If I do a good job on something or have a good idea, my manager takes it to other management and takes credit for it herself. If I work quickly, I just get more work to keep me busy -- and usually that work is obviously unnecessary work just to keep me busy. Which means it is boring as hell. There's no incentive to succeed. Performance reviews are random, and based on how much the manager likes you and really nothing else. No one cares how much work you actually do.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu May 27, 2010 1:26 pm

blue5385 wrote:
JCougar wrote:As a lawyer, you get to bill hours, and either your client is satisfied or they aren't. In the corporate world, slacking off is rewarded just as much as success. If I do a good job on something or have a good idea, my manager takes it to other management and takes credit for it herself. If I work quickly, I just get more work to keep me busy -- and usually that work is obviously unnecessary work just to keep me busy. Which means it is boring as hell. There's no incentive to succeed. Performance reviews are random, and based on how much the manager likes you and really nothing else. No one cares how much work you actually do.

tbh, all of this is equally true for a law firm as a corporate work environment. Schmoozing and being in with the right people >>> hard work. Even if associate A slacks off in comparison to associate B, if A is charismatic & impresses the right people while B is quieter and less charismatic, A will be the one making partner while B is eventually forced out (assuming the two have similar credentials and levels of intelligence). Unfortunately, I can't think of many workplaces that don't have some level of this going on.

I'm not sure if that's completely true or not. If you do more work, you just bill more hours. If those hours product quality work, the partners will notice. Sure the same schmoozing rules apply, but you can't just be a slacker and inflate your billable hours and expect to succeed.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:41 pm

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu May 27, 2010 2:29 pm

blue5385 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
JCougar wrote:As a lawyer, you get to bill hours, and either your client is satisfied or they aren't. In the corporate world, slacking off is rewarded just as much as success. If I do a good job on something or have a good idea, my manager takes it to other management and takes credit for it herself. If I work quickly, I just get more work to keep me busy -- and usually that work is obviously unnecessary work just to keep me busy. Which means it is boring as hell. There's no incentive to succeed. Performance reviews are random, and based on how much the manager likes you and really nothing else. No one cares how much work you actually do.

tbh, all of this is equally true for a law firm as a corporate work environment. Schmoozing and being in with the right people >>> hard work. Even if associate A slacks off in comparison to associate B, if A is charismatic & impresses the right people while B is quieter and less charismatic, A will be the one making partner while B is eventually forced out (assuming the two have similar credentials and levels of intelligence). Unfortunately, I can't think of many workplaces that don't have some level of this going on.

I'm not sure if that's completely true or not. If you do more work, you just bill more hours. If those hours product quality work, the partners will notice. Sure the same schmoozing rules apply, but you can't just be a slacker and inflate your billable hours and expect to succeed.

The number of hours an associate bills doesn't mean much after the first couple years. If anything, after you've been an associate for awhile, an inflated number of billing hours shows inefficiency more than a strong work ethic (and clients don't like shelling out $300 and up an hour if they can avoid doing so). Senior associates will actually be expected to bill relatively fewer hours and maximize their efficiency. Schmoozing and the ability to work a room is essential if you plan on litigating since the ability to make a great impression on a jury is invaluable, so it's something partners look for when determining which associates make partner. (This is the response I got from third- and fourth-year associates when I said something to them similar to your post re. working hard and billing a lot of hours.)

I'm talking about raising your billable hours by working efficiently and taking on more work, not by inefficiently working and inflating your hours. If you're the guy that gets his work done quickly you can take on more projects and bill more hours without appearing to be inefficient. You just don't get credit for how much work you produce at a corporate office job.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Thu May 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Tomorrow is my last day! YAY!

I work in an industry with billable hours as well. I look at my day 15 minutes at a time.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:34 pm

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Fri May 28, 2010 12:43 pm

two months, 3 days, 4 hours...

Once the light at the end of the tunnel began to appear the summer hit the breaks hard.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Fri May 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Got 'THE CALL' today. Off a wailist, and into a school. Now i've got to wait for my boss to come back from his trip and tell him that i'm out of here in August.

:) So thrilled to be joining the rest of y'all on here!

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Fri May 28, 2010 1:15 pm

ram jam wrote:two months, 3 days, 4 hours...

Once the light at the end of the tunnel began to appear the summer hit the breaks hard.

<--- 76 days

I've only been at work for 2 hours and I'm already repeating the number over and over and over again to stop myself from lashing out pettily at a certain person.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri May 28, 2010 5:38 pm

6 weeks from today is my last day at work!!!! Yay. . . has it been 6 weeks yet?

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Fri May 28, 2010 5:43 pm

I have to write my job description. All I want to put is "I do a lot. The end."

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Fri May 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm done with my job as of today. Now for a summer of strolling around a lake.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:19 pm

lawman2010 wrote:OMG it feels good. Put my two weeks in last Monday since I'll be doing CLEO starting in early June. I can't wait to be able to just focus on school. I worked full time when i did my MBA!

So as follow-up, my last day at work was yesterday. After years in the same job, I'm unemployed. Will be on plane in one week to attend CLEO. Very excited!

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Mon May 31, 2010 9:38 pm

historyholly wrote:I have to write my job description. All I want to put is "I do a lot. The end."

Giving (2 month) notice on Wednesday. Can't wait for them to notice all the little things I do once i'm gone. Like I order supplies, and run everyone else's reports through our oh-so-simple database...

Now i've got to do about a year's worth of filing before I leave!

100Miles&Runnin'

Postby 100Miles&Runnin' » Mon May 31, 2010 9:47 pm

I've been looking forward to quitting for over a year now. Going to write my resignation letter tomorrow, quit at the end of June. Unless I come to my sense and realize that I'm quitting a high pay, stable job, to take on a whole bunch of debt to enter a field with poor job prospects. But for now I'm hoping that doesn't happen. I hate my job that much.

roofles

Postby roofles » Mon May 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Last week I told my supervisor that I will likely be leaving the first week in August to attend law school. I thought that it was the most respectful thing to do, since he was talking about requirements due in October when I brought it up.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon May 31, 2010 11:18 pm

Decided my last day will be July 9. Now I just need to decide when I'll be giving my notice...

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Mon May 31, 2010 11:22 pm

danidancer wrote:Decided my last day will be July 9. Now I just need to decide when I'll be giving my notice...

July 9

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon May 31, 2010 11:24 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
danidancer wrote:Decided my last day will be July 9. Now I just need to decide when I'll be giving my notice...

July 9

Haha. I'm REQUIRED to give at least 2 weeks. I definitely won't give more than a month, but I feel like since I know I'm leaving earlier than I would if I were just going to a different job, giving them more notice wouldn't be a bad thing. Worst case scenario, I get the boot a little bit earlier than I'm planning on and am forced to take a longer summer vacation. Win-win. :D

OrcinusOrcas

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:59 am

As of midnight, only 43 days of employment left for me... :D

The fact that it will be June as of midnight makes my July quit date feel SO.MUCH.CLOSER. In two weeks, when I officially have less than a month to go, I'll have to take a few moments to myself to celebrate after I leave the office that day.

Hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend!

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:30 pm

me too! perfect balance of $$ and time off.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Last day is on thursday, class starts June 14.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”