So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmhallah

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby jmhallah » Fri May 21, 2010 12:11 pm

I just quit my job at O'Charley's! Next Tuesday I start training at the Apple store and just interviewed with a hottie boss at GNC. Not only am I the king of waitlists, but also the king of part-time jobs.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:16 pm

jmhallah wrote:I just quit my job at O'Charley's! Next Tuesday I start training at the Apple store and just interviewed with a hottie boss at GNC. Not only am I the king of waitlists, but also the king of part-time jobs.

I wouldn't mind working a part-time job during the summer to fill my time & make a little extra money (probably retail, since I've done that before). I don't know how many stores would be receptive to taking someone on who's just going to leave in a couple months anyway, though -- was this an issue when you interviewed?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri May 21, 2010 12:24 pm

A friend of mine started at Borders two or three weeks ago, and will be there for a whopping three more weeks before heading to the city where she's beginning school. I'll see if I can get some info for you.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:28 pm

clintonius wrote:A friend of mine started at Borders two or three weeks ago, and will be there for a whopping three more weeks before heading to the city where she's beginning school. I'll see if I can get some info for you.

Thanks clintonius. :) That sounds like exactly the kind of summer job I want, low-key and easy.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

13 days as a teacher left!! Who will be more happy, my students or me?

chooch

Postby chooch » Fri May 21, 2010 2:54 pm

jmhallah wrote:I just quit my job at O'Charley's! Next Tuesday I start training at the Apple store and just interviewed with a hottie boss at GNC. Not only am I the king of waitlists, but also the king of part-time jobs.

part-time jobs ftw. i'm working as a "grill cook" at some japanese buffet the weekends, and i'm thinking about delivering pizzas several days during the week. probably will gain 20 lbs before law school, but oh well :D

Pisto3

Postby Pisto3 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Done next Friday...start my summer in Central America June 2...GETTING EXCITED!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Oh AWESOME. Where are you going and what are you doing? How's your Spanish?

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Pisto3 wrote:Done next Friday...start my summer in Central America June 2...GETTING EXCITED!

I am so jealous!

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri May 21, 2010 5:17 pm

I LOVE your avatar clintonius :) I just think the bird is adorable, haha.

And to those with retail jobs....I freaking hate my retail job! Then again, I'm an assistant manager who doesn't get paid enough to do what I do. If I were just an associate at, say, a Borders, I don't think that'd be so bad.

5 weeks until I'm done at my job!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri May 21, 2010 5:55 pm

I seriously would rather have walked behind a parade of clydesdales shoveling shit than have sat thru the meeting I just go out of

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:59 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I seriously would rather have walked behind a parade of clydesdales shoveling shit than have sat thru the meeting I just go out of

:lol:

my coworkers and I routinely say that we would rather literally shovel shit for a living than do our job.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Fri May 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Urgh I think I'm working up until the day school starts since I'll be in the same city.

You really should give yourself a break...even if it's just a week. You'll need the time to get supplies/mentally prepare.

As another poster PM'd me, I'm really not doing anything at work. No stress. Basically I'm being paid to dick around on the net, and hang out with my coworkers (some of whom I love). NU has an orientation week. That will be my rest.

Though my family might be going on vacation the first week of august, if that happens, I'll just make it my last week. No point in taking a week off, coming in for one then leaving.

Ah. Well, as long as you don't have to expend any energy at work I guess it doesn't matter.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:31 pm

OMG it feels good. Put my two weeks in last Monday since I'll be doing CLEO starting in early June. I can't wait to be able to just focus on school. I worked full time when i did my MBA!

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Fri May 21, 2010 10:37 pm

I hate my job so much that I'm starting to get turned on by the quittin' stories ITT

OrcinusOrcas

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Sat May 22, 2010 2:51 am

Was thinking of quitting 6 weeks ahead of time and getting a credit card with like $1000 credit line and using that to pay for groceries and gas over the next few weeks. So miserable that I actually didn't care if it made my credit score go down since my PLUS loan for next year was already approved...bleh.

I actually reduced my hours from full-time to part-time because I'm terrified of how depressed my job is making me. Being homesick in addition to that does not help. Right now I'm trying to just keep my head above water and keep everything as simple as possible until I'm out of this purgatory. I really need July to get here so I can see my family(haven't been home in over a year, have not seen my parents, friends, etc), relax, detoxify myself of my job and feel better already. I try so hard to feel OK these days, but it's like my job is a 50-pound weight that keeps making me sink deeper and deeper into my depression all over again on Monday mornings, no matter how much I struggle.

But I'll soldier on. That's all I've got. It helps to know that there are people out there who know my pain.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:35 am

OrcinusOrcas wrote:Was thinking of quitting 6 weeks ahead of time and getting a credit card with like $1000 credit line and using that to pay for groceries and gas over the next few weeks. So miserable that I actually didn't care if it made my credit score go down since my PLUS loan for next year was already approved...bleh.

I actually reduced my hours from full-time to part-time because I'm terrified of how depressed my job is making me. Being homesick in addition to that does not help. Right now I'm trying to just keep my head above water and keep everything as simple as possible until I'm out of this purgatory. I really need July to get here so I can see my family(haven't been home in over a year, have not seen my parents, friends, etc), relax, detoxify myself of my job and feel better already. I try so hard to feel OK these days, but it's like my job is a 50-pound weight that keeps making me sink deeper and deeper into my depression all over again on Monday mornings, no matter how much I struggle.

But I'll soldier on. That's all I've got. It helps to know that there are people out there who know my pain.

Don't screw up your credit score. You'll need it next year if you want more PLUS loans.

haroldfordIII

Postby haroldfordIII » Sat May 22, 2010 10:24 pm

jmhendri wrote:I hate my job so much that I'm starting to get turned on by the quittin' stories ITT

I, like many ITT, loathe my job and can't WAIT to quit. I think my job performance is indicative of my readiness to leave. I mean I do my job sufficiently, but I don't go "above/beyond (esp. since being accepted to law school.)

With all of that said, I'm worried abt two things:

1) when it's time to get my first legal job, I'm worried that they would look into references at my current job and said references won't be glowing.
2) my job isn't law related, so I wonder how I would spin that in non-corporate law job interviews

thoughts?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sun May 23, 2010 12:05 pm

haroldfordIII wrote:2) my job isn't law related, so I wonder how I would spin that in non-corporate law job interviews

thoughts?

fahgetaboutit...you are going to law school to receive training for a law related job.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu May 27, 2010 1:28 am

I got docked on my performance review for "writing too well." Apparently, I have to dumb down my writing so that the idiots around here can understand it. I'm not "writing to my audience."

No, I am not kidding.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 am

I deal with my last class of Freshman students on Friday at 930 am.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Thu May 27, 2010 1:35 am

I've been unemployed for a week and a half. Not working is everything you ever thought it could be, FYI.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu May 27, 2010 1:50 am

Not to rub it in, but I get payed all summer and I'm not doing jack. :mrgreen:

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu May 27, 2010 2:30 am

Today I found out the core reason I want to go to law school and be a lawyer: I want to work in an environment where hard work, brilliance, and success are actually rewarded. In my experience, the frequency at which this happens in the corporate world is very, very low.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 am

Three glorious weeks left. Of course, if I have to repeat this cycle, I'll have to get another job. But it won't be food service. Never, never, never again. I watched the other bartender get yelled at tonight by a 9-year-old girl demanding food menus. I want to live in a world where that's not okay.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”