So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby JCougar » Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 am

Logjik wrote:It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

:wink:


I'm pretty much resigned to this fact. Any white collar job is going to be mostly mind-numbing, pointless BS, but at least I'll make four times what I make now if I am able to achieve biglaw. I actually like the idea of eventually building relationships with clients and bringing in business, too, plus the exit options are much better.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby CG614 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:54 am

HazelEyes wrote:
TCS wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:Anyone secretly hoping to be fired to they get unemployment and to COBRA their health insurance?


I've continued to work hard and be a professional just so that when you posted this I could feel superior.

Of course, I've been living paycheck-to-paycheck for two years and the 40% reduction in income that would result from going on unemployment would beggar me.


I meant right before LS, thus ensuring a lil' stipend while in school and kick ass partially subsidized (thanks Obama!) health insurance courtesy of my (ex) job.

Pretty sure you cannot collect unemployment while in school, and thus are out of the work force. You have to be actively seeking employment.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby blue5385 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:59 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:this is my last week!!!


I can't wait to get to that point. Congrats :mrgreen:

User avatar
HazelEyes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby HazelEyes » Mon May 17, 2010 11:09 am

Damn, go dash my dreams like that!

I've been working full time since I was 18, and have never had unemployment yet, hence the obvious ignorance. :(

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby horriblegb » Mon May 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Last day of work will be July 10th, so close I can taste it!!!

bobo11111111111
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby bobo11111111111 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Logjik wrote:It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

:wink:


I personally enjoy my job, and I work for a Fortune 500 company. So, the pay is definately pretty good. Probably considerably higher than I'd be making starting out from law school assuming I don't get into a T14. That's if I even decide to attend law school down the road. I'm looking at leaving for a M.A. Leaving my job is definately a risk, but it's calculated. The debt will also be minimal.

Anyways, there are many ways to get out of this tedious trap that many fall into. During the time at my job, I've searched for many projects outside of my set duties.... This extra effort has been viewed very favorably by my supervisors, and has also allowed me to think a little deeper and maintain some independence. My point is, you get out of your job what you put in. Stay engaged and don't ever lose your creative thought.. Find a way to express it.

User avatar
HazelEyes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby HazelEyes » Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 pm

bobo11111111111 wrote:
Logjik wrote:It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

:wink:


I personally enjoy my job, and I work for a Fortune 500 company. So, the pay is definately pretty good. Probably considerably higher than I'd be making starting out from law school assuming I don't get into a T14. That's if I even decide to attend law school down the road. I'm looking at leaving for a M.A. Leaving my job is definately a risk, but it's calculated. The debt will also be minimal.

Anyways, there are many ways to get out of this tedious trap that many fall into. During the time at my job, I've searched for many projects outside of my set duties.... This extra effort has been viewed very favorably by my supervisors, and has also allowed me to think a little deeper and maintain some independence. My point is, you get out of your job what you put in. Stay engaged and don't ever lose your creative thought.. Find a way to express it.


And always be sure to use spell-check.

Logjik
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby Logjik » Mon May 17, 2010 2:55 pm

JCougar wrote:
Logjik wrote:It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

:wink:


I'm pretty much resigned to this fact. Any white collar job is going to be mostly mind-numbing, pointless BS, but at least I'll make four times what I make now if I am able to achieve biglaw. I actually like the idea of eventually building relationships with clients and bringing in business, too, plus the exit options are much better.


I'll be attending LS for the same reasons. I don't have high hopes with Biglaw, but I think LS would provide me better opportunities.

Good luck to you all. I hope you find much more pleasure in a few years with your new jobs (assuming you get a job. :wink: )

User avatar
dibs
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby dibs » Mon May 17, 2010 5:14 pm

i gave my 6-week notice today. it felt really, really good.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby Bert » Mon May 17, 2010 5:17 pm

dibs wrote:i gave my 6-week notice today. it felt really, really good.



Congratulations!!

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby BlueCivic » Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Logjik wrote:It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

:wink:


The idea is to get a job that you don't hate. It is true that it's hard, but it's not impossible. And a JD can be a necessary prerequisite for some of these jobs.

theLastZion
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby theLastZion » Tue May 18, 2010 5:09 pm

HazelEyes wrote:Damn, go dash my dreams like that!

I've been working full time since I was 18, and have never had unemployment yet, hence the obvious ignorance. :(

Just so you know, it can be a real black mark on you. Some creditors and employers will ask if you were ever on unemployment/workman's comp/etc. I would bet that if you apply for jobs with the government they will launch an investigation to see whether or not your unemployment claim was fraudulent (although that is conjecture). Alas, even the unemployment lines aren't all models and bottles.

User avatar
haroldfordIII
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby haroldfordIII » Tue May 18, 2010 9:07 pm

So is anyone working right up to orientation?

I was originally thinking of quitting on July 31st, but I'm like I can earn close to 2 g's by staying two extra weeks (until mid-August). I can then subsidize a bomb-ass 7 day vacay. This is versus quitting normally and bumming around town locally for 2-3 weeks.

Advice any/everyone?

fakemoney
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby fakemoney » Tue May 18, 2010 9:20 pm

haroldfordIII wrote:So is anyone working right up to orientation?


*raises hand*

Actually, I'm probably going to see if I can keep my job part-time.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby blue5385 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Today my boss told me they hired my replacement & he starts in less than two weeks. :shock: It's finally starting to sink in that I'm leaving! The job is pretty tedious, but I'm actually good friends with my coworkers, so I'll miss hanging out with them and doing lunches/happy hours.

Is anyone planning a fun quitting celebration? My coworkers are having a party for me on the night of my last day & I'm going on vacation with my family a couple days after that, should be really relaxing. :D

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:16 pm

The bonus of living in the same city I worked is I can still hang with coworkers.

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby dhg5004 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 pm

JCougar wrote:
Logjik wrote:It seems the majority of you dislike your current jobs because you feel the work is either dull, un-fulfilling, lacks deep thinking, requires long hours and etc. My question is, do you think once you obtain a JD and work as a "lawyer," things will really change? I guess if you have a strong love for law it will, but imo white collar jobs tend to have similar characteristics. It seems like many of you are going back for your JD to avoid the "real world" for 3 more years to only obtain a law related job that will lead you down the same path of misery.

Just my .02.

:wink:


I'm pretty much resigned to this fact. Any white collar job is going to be mostly mind-numbing, pointless BS, but at least I'll make four times what I make now if I am able to achieve biglaw. I actually like the idea of eventually building relationships with clients and bringing in business, too, plus the exit options are much better.



So many people are blind to the reality of 'biglaw'. I know 5 people working in NYC in 'biglaw' firms who utterly and insanely hate their lives. Working 80-90 hour weeks and basically having no life at all. Sure they're making 150k-200k but when you factor in living expenses/loans/taxes you are seeing about half of that amount.

I think its funny how 'biglaw' seems to be a shining beacon of hope for all the miserable people on this site who hate their day jobs....as if biglaw is a solvent to their seemingly endless misery.

my 2 cents.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby jmhendri » Wed May 19, 2010 1:11 pm

This is frustrating, we have an entire thread about how under-stimulted many of us are and how we're looking forward to putting this part of our lives behind us so we can at least hopefully be challenged while we're over worked, under payed, and under appreciated.... but people just keep jumping in and assuming we're all delusional.

None of us are under the misconception that we're going to be biglaw partners and have lots of free time to ride around on yachts and sip champagne. We just want a real job with at least the potential to keep growing with more varied types of career opportunities. We're doing this because we don't like the idea of hitting a salary cap and we're not creative enough to go out and be entrepreneurs.

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby dhg5004 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 pm

jmhendri wrote:This is frustrating, we have an entire thread about how under-stimulted many of us are and how we're looking forward to putting this part of our lives behind us so we can at least hopefully be challenged while we're over worked, under payed, and under appreciated.... but people just keep jumping in and assuming we're all delusional.

None of us are under the misconception that we're going to be biglaw partners and have lots of free time to ride around on yachts and sip champagne. We just want a real job with at least the potential to keep growing with more varied types of career opportunities. We're doing this because we don't like the idea of hitting a salary cap and we're not creative enough to go out and be entrepreneurs.



None of us are under the misconception

You should speak for yourself. This statement is entirely inaccurate. There are many people on this site who believe law school will save them from their dreary, dead-end jobs...even if you may not be one of them.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby clintonius » Wed May 19, 2010 1:23 pm

So go talk down to those people. Your lecture here was condescending, unprompted and unwarranted.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby jmhendri » Wed May 19, 2010 1:27 pm

dhg5004 wrote:
jmhendri wrote:This is frustrating, we have an entire thread about how under-stimulted many of us are and how we're looking forward to putting this part of our lives behind us so we can at least hopefully be challenged while we're over worked, under payed, and under appreciated.... but people just keep jumping in and assuming we're all delusional.

None of us are under the misconception that we're going to be biglaw partners and have lots of free time to ride around on yachts and sip champagne. We just want a real job with at least the potential to keep growing with more varied types of career opportunities. We're doing this because we don't like the idea of hitting a salary cap and we're not creative enough to go out and be entrepreneurs.



None of us are under the misconception

You should speak for yourself. This statement is entirely inaccurate. There are many people on this site who believe law school will save them from their dreary, dead-end jobs...even if you may not be one of them.


I'm speaking for the majority of people ITT. That particular issue, that of not expecting a life or big money necessarily or respect, but of law being better than what we're doing now... has been a consistent sentiment in this thread.


Srsly, go be a condescending fucktard somewhere else. We're already broken down enough in here.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby clintonius » Wed May 19, 2010 1:33 pm

In other news, I handed in my official notice yesterday. Kind of scary now that it's really happening, though I'll be hanging around for a couple more months as they go through the hiring and training process.

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby dhg5004 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:33 pm

clintonius wrote:So go talk down to those people. Your lecture here was condescending, unprompted and unwarranted.


My mission is not to 'talk down' to anyone...and my post was hardly worthy of being coined a 'lecture'. As far as being unwarranted...you'll have to enlighten me as to how. I was simply responding to an earlier post and giving my 2 cents on the topic. The former post, I felt, was dignified enough for a response.

I don't mean to strike fear in the hearts of TLS'ers. I just hope that they realize becoming a lawyer isn't a career laden with $$...filled with excitement and absent of monotony.

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby dhg5004 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:36 pm

jmhendri wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:
jmhendri wrote:This is frustrating, we have an entire thread about how under-stimulted many of us are and how we're looking forward to putting this part of our lives behind us so we can at least hopefully be challenged while we're over worked, under payed, and under appreciated.... but people just keep jumping in and assuming we're all delusional.

None of us are under the misconception that we're going to be biglaw partners and have lots of free time to ride around on yachts and sip champagne. We just want a real job with at least the potential to keep growing with more varied types of career opportunities. We're doing this because we don't like the idea of hitting a salary cap and we're not creative enough to go out and be entrepreneurs.



None of us are under the misconception

You should speak for yourself. This statement is entirely inaccurate. There are many people on this site who believe law school will save them from their dreary, dead-end jobs...even if you may not be one of them.


I'm speaking for the majority of people ITT. That particular issue, that of not expecting a life or big money necessarily or respect, but of law being better than what we're doing now... has been a consistent sentiment in this thread.


Srsly, go be a condescending fucktard somewhere else. We're already broken down enough in here.


you'd think in a law school forum you'd find constructive responses... or at least without the name calling. aren't you guys going ot be lawyers? are you going to turn every little argument into a personal attack simply because you don't like what the opposing party is preaching?

sheesh :(

someone give a proper rebuttal at least ! (instead of accusing me of being condescending blah)

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Postby jmhendri » Wed May 19, 2010 1:38 pm

clintonius wrote:In other news, I handed in my official notice yesterday. Kind of scary now that it's really happening, though I'll be hanging around for a couple more months as they go through the hiring and training process.


congrats guy! I'm thinking it's gonna be a challenge to give a shit day to day from this point on.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], echonov, Pozzo and 5 guests