So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sanchez

New

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by Sanchez » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Already quit! :)

For the next 3 months I'm making very little money assistant coaching my college track team. Room and board is taken care of and I have plenty of time for my own training - not to mention a weightroom, pool, training room, etc. Not to mention the obvious benefits of "working" outdoors rather than sitting in front of a computer in an office for 10-14 hours a day...

I'd definitely be making more money if I'd stayed at my old job but this is far more laid back and - as someone else noted - as such is a good way to spend the last bit of time before the most stressful semester of my life...

Anyways, I'm off to do my workout before my athletes come out for practice!

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Sanchez wrote:Already quit! :)

For the next 3 months I'm making very little money assistant coaching my college track team. Room and board is taken care of and I have plenty of time for my own training - not to mention a weightroom, pool, training room, etc. Not to mention the obvious benefits of "working" outdoors rather than sitting in front of a computer in an office for 10-14 hours a day...

I'd definitely be making more money if I'd stayed at my old job but this is far more laid back and - as someone else noted - as such is a good way to spend the last bit of time before the most stressful semester of my life...

<---- Jealous

ihaftagetinsomewhere

New

Post by ihaftagetinsomewhere » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:38 pm

technical support for people whose minds explode when they hear the word "computer" or "internet"

if they weren't paying me so much I would totally just walk out the door without saying a word and never show up again :D

I'm probably going to quit in May

choppa5

New

Post by choppa5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:39 pm

rvill7 wrote:
Sanchez wrote:Already quit! :)

<---- Jealous

+1

I have even been thinking about trying to take on a second job to pay down debt and save up money for law student life.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:55 pm

not even remotely where i wanna go but i just got my 1st acceptance an hour ago: w&l

i can officially start daydreaming about quitting :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:57 pm

ihaftagetinsomewhere wrote:technical support for people whose minds explode when they hear the word "computer" or "internet"

if they weren't paying me so much I would totally just walk out the door without saying a word and never show up again :D

I'm probably going to quit in May
<~~~ Same situation. Too much $$$, otherwise I'd just walk out and never look back.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm

69sofine wrote:Last day is tomorrow.
congrats

JPetrella18

New

Post by JPetrella18 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm

I quit as soon as my applications were out. I waited only so that i wasn't lying when I said 'through present.'

I currently do nothing but sit and be neurotic and hope I get nothing but full scholarship offers from every school I applied to...it's getting a little bit boring, frankly. I think I'm gonna try to get a job at like, the local CVS or something and maybe head to Central America in May or June and just lose myself until school starts.

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm

premierock wrote:i really want to travel this summer but dont really have the $$$ for it - im thinking about tacking another 3-5K on to my loans just so i can travel. good idea? bad idea? although i will have to pay interest on that, whats another 5k when im already gonna be 60 in the hole?
Adding another 5K on top of 60K will hurt a lot more (even marginally) than adding 5K on top of nothing. We don't want to be stuck at another job we hate just because it's the only way we can afford our student loan payments. Not that traveling isn't still worth considering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FredMcGriff

New

Post by FredMcGriff » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Gotta work up until law school cuz life ain't free but I got my first acceptence today and from here on out I don't really see any reason to exert myself other than racing to conference rooms after meetings to snag free food.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:58 pm

I am definitely ready to... I find myself on these boards quite often during my work day... and I definitely have the equivalent of college's (and high schools) senioritis, except with the workplace!

carolinagirl0724

New

Post by carolinagirl0724 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 pm

I am so glad I found this thread, it is good to be among the understanding!

I hate my job. The medical field sucks, and I am waiting on acceptances (or rejections..I'll take any sort of communication at this point!). I feel like if I could hear word back from somewhere I would have enough hope to propel me through to May when I am planning on quitting.

Everyday I have to go in there it feels like a little piece of my soul is dying.

matt_b

New

Post by matt_b » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 pm

scaredstiff165 wrote:
SmittyLaw wrote:Mine pays little and is high stress.

I have cc debt & student loan debt from undergrad and have to pay my rent & utilities...sigh. So I'm sticking with it until the summer unless I wanna move back in with my parents and try to temp.
+1! :oops:
+2, except I can't move in with my parents cause I live with my fiance and am helping her through her master's :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

carolinagirl0724

New

Post by carolinagirl0724 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:not even remotely where i wanna go but i just got my 1st acceptance an hour ago: w&l

i can officially start daydreaming about quitting :D

Congratulations, and I am so very jealous of you.

(Mind playing that old "Take this job and Shove it" song)

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:33 pm

I am waiting for my damn stock to vest, which doesn't happen until May. And I really want to climb mountains in Africa and Tibet for 3 months, but I don't know what the hell is going to happen with the waitlist crap. And if I really go to Tibet, I maybe off the grid for a month. Feels like trying to get off the waitlist at a higher ranked school is probably worth sacrificing my climbing trip :(

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 pm

Dang, I like my job too...teachin' SAT/ACT test prep, shaping young minds and whatnot....but yeah, it'll be nice not to have to deal with parents and scheduling appointments quite so often =)

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:54 am

sidgey wrote:I can't wait! I'm saving up to go to Africa to work in an orphanage for 2 months before school where my rent will be like $200/month! (Much better than my current NYC rent, oi)

Any PI applicants wanna join me?? :arrow: --LinkRemoved--

:lol:

In truth though... I am going to school in the hopes I can come back to my current organization to be an attorney here. But GAWD I can't wait for a break...
Dude...where in the world are you living that you're paying $200? That is HIGH for pretty much any city in Africa. Unless you're in a palace or a nice area of Capetown or something, you're actually getting really, really ripped off.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 am

I hate retail. Even more than people driving slow in the fast lane and not using their turn signals.
Can't wait to quit. 5 months to go...

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:04 am

I just got accepted. When I was younger, I would be in a position right now where I would go in thinking, "Hm I wonder if I'll quit today." But I have to pay bills, rent, UG student loans and now I also have to save money to move, for a deposit on a new apartment, a suit and some spiffy new clothes, etc. etc. And in this economy (first time I've used that phrase!), I'm not going to be capricious. I'm not sure when I will quit but probably 2-4 weeks before classes start. Unfortunately it looks like I might not even be able to make a summer trip. When do we start getting those FAFSA checks.......

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:29 am

well, I didn't quit and I came into work today...

ho hum...

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 am

JuryDueT1000 wrote:well, I didn't quit and I came into work today...

ho hum...
Haha. Me too. I seriously wake up everyone morning having to talk myself out of faking sick or just plain quitting. I started bringing my stuff (sweater, snacks) home, just in case I lose it one day and quit on a whim. Or you know, my boss walks in here right now and sees me typing this.

I'm lucky and don't have any student loans to pay off (Bright Futures 100% scholarship, FTW!) But I wonder how long I could survive doing random jobs off of craigslist. I think the only thing that's stopping me at this point is thinking about what a migraine it would be to do taxes next year if I did that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

billykraus

New

Post by billykraus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 am

tempurabanana wrote:I started bringing my stuff (sweater, snacks) home, just in case I lose it one day and quit on a whim.
I've been doing this all week!! I feel like I never know when I will just NEED to get out of there, so I've slowly started taking my stuff out and making sure I don't leave anything good behind. Love it.

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 am

In a way it's rather bittersweet. There are millions of Americans that are losing their jobs and would love to have ANY kind of job, no matter how bad... And we can't wait to leave ours... Makes me feel somewhat guilty. But not TOO guilty that I won't keep doing it :lol:

Rusty McGuns

New

Post by Rusty McGuns » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:57 am

My lease is up on July 1, and I'm outta here, biiittchhessssss

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:01 am

billykraus wrote:
tempurabanana wrote:I started bringing my stuff (sweater, snacks) home, just in case I lose it one day and quit on a whim.
I've been doing this all week!! I feel like I never know when I will just NEED to get out of there, so I've slowly started taking my stuff out and making sure I don't leave anything good behind. Love it.
I think we are the same person living in parallel universes...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”