So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
de5igual

Silver

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by de5igual » Wed May 05, 2010 9:30 am

sooo ready to quit, but i need this paycheck for another 2+ months

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Thu May 06, 2010 1:22 pm

TCS wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
gilagarta wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:unemployment would never arrive in time.
And would never cover my ridiculous rent expenses. :)

Don't listen to the above. Unemployment is the glorious gravy train that keeps chugging throughout your first year of law school (depending on the laws of your state). HTH:

Your cell phone: ring ring....ring ring...
You: Hello?
Person on other line: Hello, this is Susan from the Unemployment office. Are you still unemployed?
You: Why, yes I am.
Susan: Have you been looking for a job?
You: Oh, all the time.
Susan: Ok then, your next check is in the mail.
If this is serious, I hope you goddamn die.

That's fraud, and I'll be finding religion any day now so that I can pray the bar rapes you.
lol. that was good. But in all seriousness...+1

On a side note: I work in retail...and we're in the middle of second season (mother's day) and I just got done working 14 hours yesterday with no break, no food and standing all day, engraving, helping customers, ringing up people...and most of it was by myself. It's not intellectually stimulating, I make $10/hr. and I hate my job.

When my fiance and I figured opportunity costs for me when we go into about 80k of debt for law school...I only need to make around 40k when I graduate to make law school worth it. God, that's depressing.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm

as stars burn wrote:On a side note: I work in retail...and we're in the middle of second season (mother's day) and I just got done working 14 hours yesterday with no break, no food and standing all day, engraving, helping customers, ringing up people...and most of it was by myself. It's not intellectually stimulating, I make $10/hr. and I hate my job.

When my fiance and I figured opportunity costs for me when we go into about 80k of debt for law school...I only need to make around 40k when I graduate to make law school worth it. God, that's depressing.
thank you for posting this...it puts my 14-hour days into perspective because I at least have a chair and access to food. still excited for my last day, though (5 wks from tomorrow! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ).

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm

I despised retail when I went into administrative work. Now I miss it dearly.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:32 pm

jmhendri wrote:I despised retail when I went into administrative work. Now I miss it dearly.
I'm not sure which is better. Retail involved standing/running around in high heels for 8-12 hours a day with a 15-30 min. break if I was lucky, but I worked with my friends and got to interact with customers. Working in an office lets me sit down for most of the day and allows me internet access, but I'm cut off from other people for the most part, which gets depressing (and my office doesn't have a window, which is sad).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 06, 2010 1:33 pm

jmhendri wrote:I despised retail when I went into administrative work. Now I miss it dearly.
I worked part time retail on full commission (no hourly wage) during undergrad. It was, sadly, the best job I have ever had so far, and I didn't realize it. Ever since I got a graduate degree and started working in corporate offices, the majority of my day has been spent thinking of faster, more pleasurable ways to die than working in this environment.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu May 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I miss the self motivation of sales, working with friends, making fun of the general public, discount, and flexible hours.

Working in low level administration is a death sentence that leads to claustrophobia, weight gain/ muscle atrophy, low self esteem, and dementia.

js53

New

Post by js53 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Just signed my exit documents about 2 min ago. Last day May 14th. Taking a nice summer vacation before the craziness starts.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu May 06, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm gonna loose it. I have an hour till lunch, zip to do, and people keep walking and glancing at my computer judgmentally.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:43 pm

jmhendri wrote:I miss the [strike]self motivation of sales, working with friends, making fun of the general public,[/strike] discount[strike], and flexible hours.[/strike]
ftfm :D
jmhendri wrote:Working in low level administration is a death sentence that leads to claustrophobia, weight gain/ muscle atrophy, low self esteem, and dementia.
I realized I have never looked or felt worse in my life than I have since I've started working at my current job (low level office work). I've managed to avoid gaining weight, but I get sick much more often, have worse skin, am tired all the time, and generally look defeated. It's depressing to look back at my college pictures & see how much happier and healthier I looked not too long ago.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu May 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Even if you avoid the weight gain (i've barely managed to keep it off myself) it's a horribly sad environment to be surrounded by coworkers who can't remember the last time they didn't have a spare tire and cottage cheese but, and whose only daily joy during the day comes from morning pastries and 3 starbucks frap breaks. I can't stand watching people around here in their constant state of consumption.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Thu May 06, 2010 1:50 pm

jmhendri wrote:I miss the [strike]self motivation of sales,[/strike] working with friends, making fun of the general public, [strike]discount, and flexible hours.[/strike]

Working in low level administration is a death sentence that leads to claustrophobia, weight gain/ muscle atrophy, low self esteem, and dementia.
My retail company sucks the life from you. if I have rewards cards, and purchase with purchases shoved down my throat one more time from corporate or my manager I'm going to scream. Oh, and because my company requires so much detail I get some of the nastiest customers. Yes, I still get sweet customers...but I've had a few that just made me want to cry.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu May 06, 2010 1:52 pm

as stars burn wrote:
jmhendri wrote:I miss the [strike]self motivation of sales,[/strike] working with friends, making fun of the general public, [strike]discount, and flexible hours.[/strike]

My retail company sucks the life from you. if I have rewards cards, and purchase with purchases shoved down my throat one more time from corporate or my manager I'm going to scream. Oh, and because my company requires so much detail I get some of the nastiest customers. Yes, I still get sweet customers...but I've had a few that just made me want to cry.
what genre of sales are you in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 06, 2010 2:14 pm

jmhendri wrote:Even if you avoid the weight gain (i've barely managed to keep it off myself) it's a horribly sad environment to be surrounded by coworkers who can't remember the last time they didn't have a spare tire and cottage cheese but, and whose only daily joy during the day comes from morning pastries and 3 starbucks frap breaks. I can't stand watching people around here in their constant state of consumption.
Tell me about it. We have some planet-sized heffers around here. One of them was found in the break room this morning gorging herself on a pair of breakfast burritos from McDonalds, and then later on after lunch, I found her and three of her friends chowing down personal pizzas from the local delivery place. Normally in the morning, she also gets two of the honey buns out of the vending machine and takes them back to her cubicle to molest them.

We call her "Cankle the Hut" cause she looks like Jabba the Hut with enormous cankles.

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Thu May 06, 2010 2:16 pm

QUITTING TODAY! best. feeling. ever.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu May 06, 2010 2:21 pm

JCougar wrote: Normally in the morning, she also gets two of the honey buns out of the vending machine and takes them back to her cubicle to molest them.
BAAAAAAHAHAHAHA.... I've got one here who pretends to consume nothing but lean cuisines and diet dr. pepper, but she has a "secret" drawer in her office full of bite sized milky ways and Reeses.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:22 pm

JCougar wrote:Tell me about it. We have some planet-sized heffers around here. One of them was found in the break room this morning gorging herself on a pair of breakfast burritos from McDonalds, and then later on after lunch, I found her and three of her friends chowing down personal pizzas from the local delivery place. Normally in the morning, she also gets two of the honey buns out of the vending machine and takes them back to her cubicle to molest them.

We call her "Cankle the Hut" cause she looks like Jabba the Hut with enormous cankles.
wow... just wow. this makes me want to get on the treadmill for the next three hours straight.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Thu May 06, 2010 2:32 pm

blue5385 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Tell me about it. We have some planet-sized heffers around here. One of them was found in the break room this morning gorging herself on a pair of breakfast burritos from McDonalds, and then later on after lunch, I found her and three of her friends chowing down personal pizzas from the local delivery place. Normally in the morning, she also gets two of the honey buns out of the vending machine and takes them back to her cubicle to molest them.

wow... just wow. this makes me want to get on the treadmill for the next three hours straight.
ahahahahahahhaahahhaha, that's hilarious. I'm sitting on a conf call now thinking to myself "I could care less what you fuckers do, I'm out"

I will give my notice next week.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 06, 2010 2:33 pm

jmhendri wrote:
JCougar wrote: Normally in the morning, she also gets two of the honey buns out of the vending machine and takes them back to her cubicle to molest them.
BAAAAAAHAHAHAHA.... I've got one here who pretends to consume nothing but lean cuisines and diet dr. pepper, but she has a "secret" drawer in her office full of bite sized milky ways and Reeses.
I guess that's what happens when people are treated like cattle and their brains are rendered near useless to the point where the only thing they can think about are basic survival functions such as eating and dozing off with their teevee to lull them to sleep at night.

Devoid of normal interaction with others (the office environment forces you to interact in a censored, pseudo-energetic, phony-team-spirit type of way, and pretend you actually do something useful when you know your job is bullshit), and devoid of anything but kindergarten work, all but the strongest of these spirits are destined for the compactor that crushes up junked cars into a cube and stacks them neatly into a dusty, rusty yard to be whithered away slowly by the elements.

As for the men here, if they're not the same way, they're all old and cranky, and have somehow managed to turn their somewhat well-off lives into a state of self-centered victimhood due to their percieved notion that the culture war is all but over for them.

It's like I'm in a graveyard for souls. If I didn't live near the beach, I'm not sure how I would have maintained my sanity these last two years.
Last edited by JCougar on Thu May 06, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 pm

JRMjr wrote:QUITTING TODAY! best. feeling. ever.
I hate you and envy you at the same time.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu May 06, 2010 4:18 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
JRMjr wrote:QUITTING TODAY! best. feeling. ever.
I hate you and envy you at the same time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu May 06, 2010 4:20 pm

JCougar wrote:
It's like I'm in a graveyard for souls. If I didn't live near the beach, I'm not sure how I would have maintained my sanity [strike]these last two years[/strike] this last year.
sigh, we're living parallel lives.

historyholly

New

Post by historyholly » Thu May 06, 2010 6:06 pm

I wonder how many people on this forum will be posting here again in four years, only to complain about the long hours, douche lawyers they are working for and their fellow coworkers. Oh and then there is the debt.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 06, 2010 6:13 pm

historyholly wrote:I wonder how many people on this forum will be posting here again in four years, only to complain about the long hours, douche lawyers they are working for and their fellow coworkers. Oh and then there is the debt.
Well, knowing that my current managers are far too dumb to even make it into law school, at least that problem will be solved. Douchey people I can handle. Working for someone that is a total idiot but thinks they're a genius is another matter.

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Thu May 06, 2010 6:21 pm

JCougar wrote:
historyholly wrote:I wonder how many people on this forum will be posting here again in four years, only to complain about the long hours, douche lawyers they are working for and their fellow coworkers. Oh and then there is the debt.
Well, knowing that my current managers are far too dumb to even make it into law school, at least that problem will be solved. Douchey people I can handle. Working for someone that is a total idiot but thinks they're a genius is another matter.
This is spot on. My managers actually think they have giving me gold or something by being on their team. And half of them don't even have an undergrad degree. aaaahhhh the joys of IT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”