So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
annapavlova

Bronze

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by annapavlova » Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 pm

July 17th can't come fast enough. Since I'll get three paychecks in June, I'll still get two full paychecks and 1/2 of a normal paycheck, which is the only reason why I'm not waiting to peace out at the end of July.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Wed May 13, 2009 3:09 pm

I worked my last Mother's Day at my job. It was hell and I'm glad it's done.

Who32

New

Post by Who32 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:14 pm

I was born ready to quit my job.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:15 pm

ugh i'm sooo ready. july 10th can't come soon enough. if i didn't need the extra cash, i would have quit long time ago :wink:

Katy Louise

New

Post by Katy Louise » Wed May 13, 2009 3:18 pm

I cannot wait to quit...

I am calling it "adult senioritis"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tiramisu

New

Post by tiramisu » Wed May 13, 2009 3:42 pm

yup. if i had a large savings account, i probably would quit mid july and travel...but i need the paycheck to pay for my summer sublet and vacay.

on the upside, the job's really easy right now b/c a huge trial was continued until a much, much later date. there is absolutely no work to do, even after asking everyone for projects.

i hope it doesn't continue cuz i gotta bill hours.....
Last edited by tiramisu on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PieLady

New

Post by PieLady » Wed May 13, 2009 4:08 pm

tiramisu wrote:yup. if i had a large savings account, i probably would quit mid july and travel...but i need the paycheck to pay for my outrageously out-of-budget summer sublet.

on the upside, the job's really easy right now b/c a huge trial was continued until a much, much later date. there is absolutely no work to do, even after asking everyone for projects. i have been surfing the internet/budgeting my 3 years of law school, researching hotels for my vacation, etc since monday. it gets old after more than 2 days though...

My boss came to see me about my April hours.
(along with two of my coworkers in my practice group...so it's not like i am personally slacking)
But...i guess that's the economy? I consider myself lucky to be able to leave voluntarily.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:12 pm

PieLady wrote:
tiramisu wrote:yup. if i had a large savings account, i probably would quit mid july and travel...but i need the paycheck to pay for my outrageously out-of-budget summer sublet.

on the upside, the job's really easy right now b/c a huge trial was continued until a much, much later date. there is absolutely no work to do, even after asking everyone for projects. i have been surfing the internet/budgeting my 3 years of law school, researching hotels for my vacation, etc since monday. it gets old after more than 2 days though...

My boss came to see me about my April hours.
(along with two of my coworkers in my practice group...so it's not like i am personally slacking)
But...i guess that's the economy? I consider myself lucky to be able to leave voluntarily.

40 hours?? April I billed 210.

gooben11

New

Post by gooben11 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 pm

I am having a hell of time deciding when to give notice... Want to get paid for the 4th of July... Want to accrue and cash out my earned time for the month of July (just need to stay through the 15th)... But God help me, if I stay until the 15th, I just may blow a gasket.

Say, what are you kids doing about health insurance coverage anyway? For those of us who can't rely solely upon a school's "sickness and injury" plan, that is...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PhillyLawGirl

New

Post by PhillyLawGirl » Wed May 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Just found out that I can register under my parents plan again for $200 per month. Not dirt cheap, but great coverage....much better than the school's sickness and injury plan.

Apparently, I'm eligible until age 31 as a full time student. Who knew?

demiurge

New

Post by demiurge » Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 pm

I love my job! As a matter of fact I'm trying to keep it part-time, at least for the first year. Unfortunately I couldn't give a proper two week notice because I was admitted last Friday, but my classes start next week.

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Wed May 13, 2009 10:35 pm

My job gave me a briefcase and an invite to apply as a summer clerk next year....nice!

IHeartNewYork

New

Post by IHeartNewYork » Wed May 13, 2009 10:44 pm

I'm really sick of my job, but I'm taking two weeks off at the end of June to take one last nice vacation before law school. I think without that break on the horizon, I would just get fed up and quit long before summer is over.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Wed May 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Can't wait to quit. My job SUCKS. It's a stupid ridiculous office job that I took in September because I couldn't find anything else and I had to pay the rent.

My birthday's at the end of June, so I'll give notice then. There's a chance they'll be pissed and just ask me to leave then. In which case, Happy Birthday to me.

I'd probably stay longer for the money, but I'm leaving the country for a week mid-July and I don't have enough vacation days. I'll just have to make due with what I can earn by then.

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Thu May 14, 2009 8:00 am

I've got less than a month left before I move. "Working" is a general term at this point.

solo_lawyer

New

Post by solo_lawyer » Thu May 14, 2009 8:28 am

don't quit your job and go to law school without thinking over the consequences!

--LinkRemoved--

SAN FRANCISCO - For younger law students, the recession won't really start until 2010.

Recent accounts from firm partners and school career counselors sketch a sobering portrait of the job outlook. With no sign of a lasting rebound in the wider economy, some law firm leaders are playing it safe by reducing their 2010 summer programs or skipping them altogether.
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold, for example, is planning to sit one year out. Gordon & Rees is doing some deeper soul searching. Still others don't yet know what, if any, changes they might make.

"Whether or not the economy comes back, I do think that corporate America has forced law firms to re-examine their model," Gordon & Rees Managing Partner Dion Cominos said. "Having well-compensated attorneys fresh out of law school that are charging several hundred dollars an hour for what the clients perceive as training — I think there's a rebellion against that." He said that no decision has been made, but that all options are on the table: "We may retain a more limited program or go without it for a year and see how it goes."

The latest predictions of adjustments come on the heels of dramatic cuts firms have already made to 2009 summer stints, when some reduced the number of associates by 30 percent to 50 percent, according to NALP figures. While no statistics are available yet for summer 2010, anecdotal evidence abounds.

Paul Glad, the San Francisco office managing partner at Am Law 100 firm Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, said that students will be facing a very different year. "It is my sense from talking to my peers [at other firms] that they are dramatically scaling back the number of people they're looking for in their fall on-campus interviews," he said. Firmwide, Sonnenschein reduced its summer class from about 38 in 2008 to about 17 in 2009, Glad said. "We will be scaling back interviewing for fall, but we haven't put numbers on it."

Sari Zimmerman, the career office director at Hastings College of the Law, said a smaller number of law firms have so far signed up for on-campus interviews at her school and, she's heard, at other law schools in the area. She declined to specify numbers, saying only that the drop was significant.

Uncertainty motivated Sedgwick, Detert's plan to suspend its summer program next year in most, if not all, of its offices. Steven Di Saia, a Los Angeles partner who started at the firm as a summer associate 20 years ago, now chairs the recruiting committee and heads the summer associate program. "What I remember very distinctly is students rely on these jobs," he said. "If they're going to be a summer clerk, there has to be a reasonable expectation that they can be hired as associates."

Di Saia said that office managing partners have not been able to assure him that they would need new associates come fall 2011. Planning for that is based on more guesswork about future growth than regular hiring, he said.

meteor

New

Post by meteor » Thu May 14, 2009 9:10 am

I really liked my job for a couple of months but now reality set in and it's becoming a pain in the ass to come here everyday. I travel 1.5-2 hours each way depending on how the subway is running. I get paid $10 an hour, have zero benefits, and have a lot of responsibility here. Let's just say that if i did not do my job properly, I could potentially cause a lot of harm and possibly death (I work in one of the biggest nursing homes in New York City). They give us free lunch but it sucks. They don't pay me for my lunch "hour" (more like 15-30 mins). My supervisor is always on my ass for everything and acts like im his fucking secretary. He's always around and never gives me any privacy. He gets pissed when I don't go to lunch with him. He disciplines his entire department as if we were brainless children when in reality they bust their ass for an hourly wage that is very similiar to mine. He even fucked up my prospects on getting a promotion and possible raise because when the owners asked him if im the best assistant he's ever had, he told them that im not the best but im ok. Im just ok because of the dozens of assignments he throws my way on a daily basis, I literally forgot to do 2 things in the past 6 months. These weren't even important things. Meanwhile he acts like we are best friends and that he got my back.

The Human Resources lady is a huge cunt and always on my ass for what I wear to work (they expect me dress in business attire when i work in a sardine can office located INSIDE a maintenance shop). The Administrator of the joint is a fat irish fuck who treats his employees like dishrags.

There were times when i wanted to end this misery early by crumpling my employment contract and shouving it in their asses. I was planning on taking a trip to Israel on june 28th and was hoping to leave them just before my trip. Now it gets harder for me to come to work everyday and I am planning on ending work sometime in mid-june so i can rest before my trip.

This is all opinion-based so its not libel.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu May 14, 2009 12:34 pm

meteor wrote:I really liked my job for a couple of months but now reality set in and it's becoming a pain in the ass to come here everyday. I travel 1.5-2 hours each way depending on how the subway is running. I get paid $10 an hour, have zero benefits, and have a lot of responsibility here. Let's just say that if i did not do my job properly, I could potentially cause a lot of harm and possibly death (I work in one of the biggest nursing homes in New York City). They give us free lunch but it sucks. They don't pay me for my lunch "hour" (more like 15-30 mins). My supervisor is always on my ass for everything and acts like im his fucking secretary. He's always around and never gives me any privacy. He gets pissed when I don't go to lunch with him. He disciplines his entire department as if we were brainless children when in reality they bust their ass for an hourly wage that is very similiar to mine. He even fucked up my prospects on getting a promotion and possible raise because when the owners asked him if im the best assistant he's ever had, he told them that im not the best but im ok. Im just ok because of the dozens of assignments he throws my way on a daily basis, I literally forgot to do 2 things in the past 6 months. These weren't even important things. Meanwhile he acts like we are best friends and that he got my back.

The Human Resources lady is a huge cunt and always on my ass for what I wear to work (they expect me dress in business attire when i work in a sardine can office located INSIDE a maintenance shop). The Administrator of the joint is a fat irish fuck who treats his employees like dishrags.

There were times when i wanted to end this misery early by crumpling my employment contract and shouving it in their asses. I was planning on taking a trip to Israel on june 28th and was hoping to leave them just before my trip. Now it gets harder for me to come to work everyday and I am planning on ending work sometime in mid-june so i can rest before my trip.

You have a college degree and are only earning $10/hour in NYC? Your job sounds awful..

bizjunkie4

New

Post by bizjunkie4 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:50 pm

gooben11 wrote:I am having a hell of time deciding when to give notice... Want to get paid for the 4th of July... Want to accrue and cash out my earned time for the month of July (just need to stay through the 15th)... But God help me, if I stay until the 15th, I just may blow a gasket.

Say, what are you kids doing about health insurance coverage anyway? For those of us who can't rely solely upon a school's "sickness and injury" plan, that is...
I feel your pain, but I'm holding off as long as possible. Giving early notice does nothing for you, except maybe provide a little emotional satisfaction when you tell the bosses to shove it. Reasons to wait:

1. Avoid being a lame duck and getting crappy projects dumped on you.
2. Cut down on awkward encounters in break room. Example: "Dude, you're still here? I thought you left six weeks ago."
3. Remain eligible for possible buyout or severance package if layoffs are announced over summer (my personal favorite, being in the news biz).

IHeartNewYork

New

Post by IHeartNewYork » Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 pm

I must say I do love the position I'm in at my job right now. They kind of need me for the next few months, so I can slack off once in a while, be useless and tell people off when they're being stupid without having to fear any consequences, i.e. getting fired. It's a nice spot to be in, even though the job itself sucks.

emergencybarbie

New

Post by emergencybarbie » Thu May 14, 2009 1:06 pm

If I can get someone to sign a lease for my apartment by Friday then I'm gone by the 1st of June. Otherwise, I'm shooting for the 15th of June. So close!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

meteor

New

Post by meteor » Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 pm

swheat wrote:
meteor wrote:I really liked my job for a couple of months but now reality set in and it's becoming a pain in the ass to come here everyday. I travel 1.5-2 hours each way depending on how the subway is running. I get paid $10 an hour, have zero benefits, and have a lot of responsibility here. Let's just say that if i did not do my job properly, I could potentially cause a lot of harm and possibly death (I work in one of the biggest nursing homes in New York City). They give us free lunch but it sucks. They don't pay me for my lunch "hour" (more like 15-30 mins). My supervisor is always on my ass for everything and acts like im his fucking secretary. He's always around and never gives me any privacy. He gets pissed when I don't go to lunch with him. He disciplines his entire department as if we were brainless children when in reality they bust their ass for an hourly wage that is very similiar to mine. He even fucked up my prospects on getting a promotion and possible raise because when the owners asked him if im the best assistant he's ever had, he told them that im not the best but im ok. Im just ok because of the dozens of assignments he throws my way on a daily basis, I literally forgot to do 2 things in the past 6 months. These weren't even important things. Meanwhile he acts like we are best friends and that he got my back.

You have a college degree and are only earning $10/hour in NYC? Your job sounds awful..
Awful is a complement. My job sucks. Its EXTREMELY hard to find anything in NYC without connections and luck.

My plan of action for getting fired:
1. Become irritated by the supervisor to the point of no return.
2. Place balls on supervisor's walkie talkie when he leaves
3. Take a good picture of my balls on his walkie talkie
4. Page him on his walkie talkie the next day and ask him to speak very closely into the walkie talkie because you can't him very well.
5. talking to him over the walkie talkie, ill bring him my 2 week notice and a full resolution picture of my balls gently resting on his walkie talkie

WSULeifJ

New

Post by WSULeifJ » Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Figured I'd take my last hooky day today, since sick days are use 'em or lose 'em. I'm suffering from a non-existent toothache. When I go back on Monday, I'll only have a month to go until quitting day...

bizjunkie4

New

Post by bizjunkie4 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:22 pm

meteor wrote:
swheat wrote:

Awful is a complement. My job sucks. Its EXTREMELY hard to find anything in NYC without connections and luck.

My plan of action for getting fired:
1. Become irritated by the supervisor to the point of no return.
2. Place balls on supervisor's walkie talkie when he leaves
3. Take a good picture of my balls on his walkie talkie
4. Page him on his walkie talkie the next day and ask him to speak very closely into the walkie talkie because you can't him very well.
5. talking to him over the walkie talkie, ill bring him my 2 week notice and a full resolution picture of my balls gently resting on his walkie talkie
I like the plan, but you might consider changing from a two-week notice to "I'm leaving effective today."

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Fri May 15, 2009 3:03 am

Ya, think I'm putting in my two weeks on Saturday. It would be amazing if I could somehow suck it up and wait tables through june and into july, but I just can't. I can't do it anymore. I'm likely to stab someone, and I have a feeling that would significantly affect my outstanding admission.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”