So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hoffb86

Bronze

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by hoffb86 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm still at work.... FML ....

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Wed May 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Hell yeah I want to quit, but I am working until July 24th (biweekly payday).

Any future 1Ls quitting their jobs early for Phish tour?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed May 20, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm finishing up on June 5th so I can enjoy a few weeks of leisure...

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Wed May 20, 2009 9:06 pm

I gave notice yesterday. Told my manager I'd work as late as mid-August if he needs me and/or I decide I want the extra $$. My company's invested a lot of training & cash in me and I was expected to climb the ladder so I was nervous about revealing the whole law school thing. My manager & dept exec were really supportive though. They even said they'd see if I could get layoff benefits and/or my promotion (that I was going to get) before leaving. And told me that if I ever want to come back the door is wide open.

I am going to miss my company/coworkers/job sooooooooo much.

Also, it is really really scary to go from making a good income to living off loans.

drhunterr

New

Post by drhunterr » Wed May 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Aeroplane wrote: Also, it is really really scary to go from making a good income to living off loans.
No lies. I'm not really excited about that.

I'm out either July 31st or August 7th...unless I can fired before then.

Seriously, what is it, 8 weeks or so away? The summer is going to go by crazy fast. I started my internship last year about this time, and it was August before I realized.

Edit: Has anyone felt increasing complacent in their jobs since law school is getting closer and closer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Wed May 20, 2009 9:33 pm

drhunterr wrote: Edit: Has anyone felt increasing complacent in their jobs since law school is getting closer and closer?
Somewhat. But it's important to me to leave on a good note so I fight it and do my work.

ajrm116

New

Post by ajrm116 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:39 pm

I put in my two weeks on Friday, and it has been awesome since. I work at a newspaper and my editor has basically stopped giving me new assignments. Everyone in the office, including my superiors, are cool with my decision and really supportive. But damn I can't wait to have some free time!

lawyer180

New

Post by lawyer180 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:39 am

Yeah, i put in my notice the other day too. I had to do it in writing to make it "official" given they couldn't post my position.

It's the cold feet feeling: you start doubting whether or not you're making the right choice. From a decent salary (that many new lawyers probably start off making in non-metro regions) to living off loans and entering the job market in debt.

Being content with our choice is key! Officially unemployed as of June 26th, then off to see the world before becoming a 1L; feels great. :D

crash90

New

Post by crash90 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:27 pm

Working until Aug 15. While I enjoy my job it is in a small family company and has no room for advancement. I love the people I work with. They are wholesome, intelligent, driven, and hard working folks. I will be sad to leave this enviroment but not the actual day to day work.

That said, I catch myself day dreaming way to often! Either about my trip to Vegas with the G/F (which will probably be our last bit of time together...sad) or about law school in general (especially since I will be reunited with my college room mates!).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Thu May 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Last edited by joshikousei on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainCubicle

New

Post by CaptainCubicle » Thu May 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Officially gave notice today. I'll still be working into July, but I have to train my replacement while also handling extra work (due to reassignments, my usual team of four is down to two people). It felt great finally getting it done "for real" as opposed to being the worst kept secret in the office.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Fri May 22, 2009 5:31 am

*sigh* 9 more weeks to go...

And Captain, I love your avatar.

MHP

New

Post by MHP » Fri May 22, 2009 7:00 am

thefossilcrew wrote:Hell yeah I want to quit, but I am working until July 24th (biweekly payday).

As a school teacher, there's no need to quit to hit up some Phish this summer! Today is my last day at work. In one week the hubby and I are packing the VW van and taking the long way to Knoxville. We plan on doing a week of camping on either side of the show.

It'll be the first time since 2000 that I've seen the boys! Very excited.

You?

(And aren't you in Athens? I seem to remember this... It's my home base, fwiw...)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Fri May 22, 2009 8:13 am

MHP wrote:
thefossilcrew wrote:Hell yeah I want to quit, but I am working until July 24th (biweekly payday).

As a school teacher, there's no need to quit to hit up some Phish this summer! Today is my last day at work. In one week the hubby and I are packing the VW van and taking the long way to Knoxville. We plan on doing a week of camping on either side of the show.

It'll be the first time since 2000 that I've seen the boys! Very excited.

You?

(And aren't you in Athens? I seem to remember this... It's my home base, fwiw...)

Haha I know plenty of phans that are school teachers for that very reason - summer tour & NYE runs!

I'm doing Asheville > Knoxville. Knoxville is going to be the sleeper show of the tour for sure. I saw the Hampton run... have you heard the shows? Undermind is going to be the Meatsick of this summer tour.

I'm in ATL btw. Shoot me a PM & I'll have a beer w/ you & the hubby in Knox!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Sat May 23, 2009 12:10 am

I'll be seeing Phish at Bonnaroo this year. Very happy about that. :D

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 am

kak23 wrote:I'll be seeing Phish at Bonnaroo this year. Very happy about that. :D

This is the best Roo lineup for sure, you're going to have a blast. I'm thinking about scoring a VIP pass below face.... we'll see!

Back2School

New

Post by Back2School » Wed May 27, 2009 11:05 am

Just had my final meeting with the CEO, handed have a transition file to my boss, and now only need to clean out my office because TODAY IS MY LAST DAY!!!!!!!! BOOOYAAA!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Wed May 27, 2009 11:08 am

Done on 6/12, but that's only because I move on 6/16 and start class on 6/22.

Time crunch?

No, not all.

prbaglady

New

Post by prbaglady » Wed May 27, 2009 11:39 am

I'm leaving in mid July and gave my notice in mid April. People seemed shocked but still very nice about everything (no one in my line of work leaves to go to law school!). Then last week, I get a call from the head of the company to come into a meeting. When I walk in the door, he proceeds to say: "I heard you're going back to Yale next year," and I told him that it was actually NYU. He then tells me "Oh, I thought you were smarter than that" and turns around. I stood there completely shocked and just left the room a few seconds later, since he didn't seem to want to address me any longer. what's even more annoying is that he calls me into a completely unrelated office meeting and tells me this in front of co-workers who have no idea what he's talking about! I was furious! I should have said something, but I was afraid of getting fired prematurely, since they don't give severance at my office and federal unemployment benefits wouldn't begin to cover my current salary.

:(

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:45 am

prbaglady wrote:I'm leaving in mid July and gave my notice in mid April. People seemed shocked but still very nice about everything (no one in my line of work leaves to go to law school!). Then last week, I get a call from the head of the company to come into a meeting. When I walk in the door, he proceeds to say: "I heard you're going back to Yale next year," and I told him that it was actually NYU. He then tells me "Oh, I thought you were smarter than that" and turns around. I stood there completely shocked and just left the room a few seconds later, since he didn't seem to want to address me any longer. what's even more annoying is that he calls me into a completely unrelated office meeting and tells me this in front of co-workers who have no idea what he's talking about! I was furious! I should have said something, but I was afraid of getting fired prematurely, since they don't give severance at my office and federal unemployment benefits wouldn't begin to cover my current salary.

:(

Bitter old man

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 27, 2009 11:47 am

prbaglady wrote:I'm leaving in mid July and gave my notice in mid April. People seemed shocked but still very nice about everything (no one in my line of work leaves to go to law school!). Then last week, I get a call from the head of the company to come into a meeting. When I walk in the door, he proceeds to say: "I heard you're going back to Yale next year," and I told him that it was actually NYU. He then tells me "Oh, I thought you were smarter than that" and turns around. I stood there completely shocked and just left the room a few seconds later, since he didn't seem to want to address me any longer. what's even more annoying is that he calls me into a completely unrelated office meeting and tells me this in front of co-workers who have no idea what he's talking about! I was furious! I should have said something, but I was afraid of getting fired prematurely, since they don't give severance at my office and federal unemployment benefits wouldn't begin to cover my current salary.:(
what a douchebag of a ceo

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:49 am

Lxw...your tar makes me happy.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 27, 2009 11:49 am

rvill7 wrote:Lxw...your tar makes me happy.
That's good to know :)

prbaglady

New

Post by prbaglady » Wed May 27, 2009 12:07 pm

[/quote]
what a douchebag of a ceo[/quote]

I almost walked right into his office later that day to tell him that NYU is top 5 and I would be an idiot NOT to go, and certainly someone who went to a TTT school that no one's even heard of can't really judge other people's educational choices... BUT i didn't want to sink to his level. ugh!

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Wed May 27, 2009 12:13 pm

I've been holding off on giving my notice, I'm probably working until mid-July, as I live pay-check to pay-check.

My boss, an attorney, knows that I'm looking at law-school (as I told him when they first hired me). He has been trying to convince to stay, and also wants me to go to University of Miami (where he attended), which he has repeatedly referred to being a T25 school.

Every day seems to be infinitely long, and all I do is post here and look up how I'm going to be moving.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”