So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Foosters Galore

Bronze

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 pm

historyholly wrote:Is it weird how bothered I am that I can't put stuff about me going to law school on Facebook bc I'm friends with co-workers on there? It's like if I don't tell my "we're only friends on FB and not in real life" friends that I'm going, it's not real yet.

You should be able to be upfront about it. I was worried that my job might act negatively about my going away to law school, but it turned out I was just being paranoid. Also, think of it this way: if they fire you, there is always unemployment :)[/quote]

this.
Last edited by Foosters Galore on Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 pm

historyholly wrote:Is it weird how bothered I am that I can't put stuff about me going to law school on Facebook bc I'm friends with co-workers on there? It's like if I don't tell my "we're only friends on FB and not in real life" friends that I'm going, it's not real yet.

You should be able to be upfront about it. I was worried that my job might act negatively about my going away to law school, but it turned out I was just being paranoid. Also, think of it this way: if they fire you, there is always unemployment :)[/quote]

unemployment would never arrive in time.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:49 pm

gilagarta wrote:Ditto. And I'm super-stressed, because I'm not giving notice until the end of this month so I'm not "out" at work. A few of my friends here know, but I can't tell management bc I'm sure they'd freak and dock my pay (yes, they'd be able to do it, I'm sure of it).

Is it weird how bothered I am that I can't put stuff about me going to law school on Facebook bc I'm friends with co-workers on there? It's like if I don't tell my "we're only friends on FB and not in real life" friends that I'm going, it's not real yet.
wow...that sounds intense/borderline crazy on the part of your management. Have they ever done that to anyone in the past? I thought my boss would freak out when I told him I was leaving for law school, but he was surprisingly supportive, as was the management (who I thought would be upset since I was staying at the job for a shorter period of time than they must've thought I would). Maybe they'll surprise you by being nice about it when you tell them.

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Tue May 04, 2010 3:53 pm

blue5385 wrote:
gilagarta wrote:Ditto. And I'm super-stressed, because I'm not giving notice until the end of this month so I'm not "out" at work. A few of my friends here know, but I can't tell management bc I'm sure they'd freak and dock my pay (yes, they'd be able to do it, I'm sure of it).

Is it weird how bothered I am that I can't put stuff about me going to law school on Facebook bc I'm friends with co-workers on there? It's like if I don't tell my "we're only friends on FB and not in real life" friends that I'm going, it's not real yet.
wow...that sounds intense/borderline crazy on the part of your management. Have they ever done that to anyone in the past? I thought my boss would freak out when I told him I was leaving for law school, but he was surprisingly supportive, as was the management (who I thought would be upset since I was staying at the job for a shorter period of time than they must've thought I would). Maybe they'll surprise you by being nice about it when you tell them.
I wish I were just being paranoid, but they have a history of unfair firings here. Without going into detail, I'm also in a situation where I'm making an increased salary for an indefinite period of time, and if I told them I was leaving they could decide to reduce that salary.

I'm still giving 2 months notice. I'll be fine. Sorry if I sounded over-dramatic! :)

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:54 pm

gilagarta wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

I wish I were just being paranoid, but they have a history of unfair firings here. Without going into detail, I'm also in a situation where I'm making an increased salary for an indefinite period of time, and if I told them I was leaving they could decide to reduce that salary.

I'm still giving 2 months notice. I'll be fine. Sorry if I sounded over-dramatic! :)
2 months is plenty, it sounds like you're being more than fair by giving them that much notice. Good luck! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Tue May 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:unemployment would never arrive in time.
And would never cover my ridiculous rent expenses. :)

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue May 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I wish I had a job to quit.

Isn't notice normally two weeks?

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Man, if I hadn't quit my retail job first I'd be out of here in a blaze of glory. My job is a mind-numbing, soul-crushing nightmare of tedium 40 hours a week.

It has solidified my belief that my BA isn't going to get me anywhere except maybe a mid level administrative position surrounded by dumb, dull, bitter fat butted office ladies. I'm not creative enough to go any farther than that with it. I don't care how stressful and time consuming lawyering is, at least I'll feel like a have a working brain again.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 4:49 pm

jmhendri wrote:Man, if I hadn't quit my retail job first I'd be out of here in a blaze of glory. My job is a mind-numbing, soul-crushing nightmare of tedium 40 hours a week.

It has solidified my belief that my BA isn't going to get me anywhere except maybe a mid level administrative position surrounded by dumb, dull, bitter fat butted office ladies. I'm not creative enough to go any farther than that with it. I don't care how stressful and time consuming lawyering is, at least I'll feel like a have a working brain again.
+1,000,000

Except replace BA witn MS for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pegleg

Bronze

Post by pegleg » Tue May 04, 2010 4:54 pm

jmhendri wrote:Man, if I hadn't quit my retail job first I'd be out of here in a blaze of glory. My job is a mind-numbing, soul-crushing nightmare of tedium 40 hours a week.

Your words speak to my questionably-existent soul.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:54 pm

this.

except the fat butted office ladies serve the important purpose of reminding me to work out every day so I won't turn into one of them.

lawcycle2010

New

Post by lawcycle2010 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:55 pm

haven't told anyone at work that i applied or am going to law school in the fall...

i like my job and my boss is great!!

i doubt they'd do anything (ie pay cut or fire me) when i tell them, but wondering if anyone had advice on how/ best time to tell them. Is 6 weeks enough time? I was planning on telling them this week but just found out i got scheduled to go on a company trip next week!

They need to find someone to take over my account and training can be a bitch (took me 3 months to fully take over this account)

Ideally, i'd like to be out of here by July 2-July 9th...

thoughts?

PS i too have avoided any law stuff on fb so that no one sees!!

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 5:11 pm

blue5385 wrote:
except the fat butted office ladies serve the important purpose of reminding me to work out every day so I won't turn into one of them.
+1, I've even trained myself to be awake and alert by 4:30 weekday mornings to work out because I've realized that by the end of the work day I'm too depressed, broken and brain dead to drag myself to the gym. All I can get myself to do is veg out in front of the TV and curl up with a cocktail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 5:14 pm

jmhendri wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
+1, I've even trained myself to be awake and alert by 4:30 weekday mornings to work out because I've realized that by the end of the work day I'm too depressed, broken and brain dead to drag myself to the gym. All I can get myself to do is veg out in front of the TV and curl up with a cocktail.
I <3 U. :D

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:17 pm

jmhendri wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
:shock: Waking up at 4:30 am and working out is beyond my comprehension. Good for you though, I don't know if I could ever be that dedicated. I'm more of a 11:30 pm on weekdays, mid-afternoon on weekends runner.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 5:20 pm

I simply don't have enough hope to get up early in the mornings. I do jiu-jitsu three nights a week after work, because if I am not too mentally defeated by the hopelessness of my job to do anything more than sit in my computer chair after work, it feels good to choke people instead.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:23 pm

JCougar wrote:I simply don't have enough hope to get up early in the mornings. I do jiu-jitsu three nights a week after work, because if I am not too mentally defeated by the hopelessness of my job to do anything more than sit in my computer chair after work, it feels good to choke people instead.
That actually sounds like a great way to take out your work-related frustrations. I used to love martial arts when I took it as a kid, I'd definitely sign up for a class if my work schedule wasn't 9 am to ~10 pm. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 5:27 pm

blue5385 wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
:shock: Waking up at 4:30 am and working out is beyond my comprehension. Good for you though, I don't know if I could ever be that dedicated. I'm more of a 11:30 pm on weekdays, mid-afternoon on weekends runner.
It wasn't easy to get there, but I'm not about to prance around law school with an office lady ass. Hoping to continue the routine then too, it helps me start off the day feeling somewhat alive and optimistic.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 5:27 pm

blue5385 wrote:
JCougar wrote:I simply don't have enough hope to get up early in the mornings. I do jiu-jitsu three nights a week after work, because if I am not too mentally defeated by the hopelessness of my job to do anything more than sit in my computer chair after work, it feels good to choke people instead.
That actually sounds like a great way to take out your work-related frustrations. I used to love martial arts when I took it as a kid, I'd definitely sign up for a class if my work schedule wasn't 9 am to ~10 pm. :(
It's been one of the few things keeping me sane during these long, arduous years of watching mentally unstable idiots run my department into the ground yet act like they are geniuses.

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue May 04, 2010 5:27 pm

I prob shouldn't post but I have lost all desire to be in work since I got into law school. I just don't want to be there. I called in sick today and I don't think I've hit a deadline since last month. Barely doing any work at all. Just wish they could fire me but I need the money!

Can't wait to leave.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 5:28 pm

I like it! :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 pm

I'll be working til the end of July. Oh well...shit happens.
My jobs sucks. It's not too high on stress, but I deal with people constantly and have to cater to their needs.

Saving up to move. I have a laptop that works and can make the deposit on my studio for law school. No worries. It's only a job and law school will (hopefully) lead to a career.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 04, 2010 5:32 pm

creatinganalt wrote:I prob shouldn't post but I have lost all desire to be in work since I got into law school. I just don't want to be there. I called in sick today and I don't think I've hit a deadline since last month. Barely doing any work at all. Just wish they could fire me but I need the money!

Can't wait to leave.
Same here. I'm so confused at work it's ridiculous. I'm reading law material and I get so lost in it that I believe it affects my job performance. In short, I read a lot and forget unimportant crap...lol...

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:41 pm

creatinganalt wrote:I prob shouldn't post but I have lost all desire to be in work since I got into law school. I just don't want to be there. I called in sick today and I don't think I've hit a deadline since last month. Barely doing any work at all. Just wish they could fire me but I need the money!

Can't wait to leave.
ha. +1. I'm getting to the point where it takes me 15 min to write a 1-line email.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 5:42 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:

Can't wait to leave.
Same here. I'm so confused at work it's ridiculous. I'm reading law material and I get so lost in it that I believe it affects my job performance. In short, I read a lot and forget unimportant crap...lol...
Yeah I know what you mean, people keep looking at me like I'm a moron because cannot for the life of me retain these mundane day to day admin details. I get this feeling every time I forget to get a Fed Ex package out on time or deliver a phone message that someone's looking at me like, "good luck in Law School dumbass"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”