So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SuperFreak

New

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 7:45 am

Yup. I'll be leaving my McDonalds position very soon, in fact.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 am

BlueCivic wrote:I've been unemployed for a week and a half. Not working is everything you ever thought it could be, FYI.
I SO hate you right now!

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Thu May 27, 2010 10:41 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Three glorious weeks left. Of course, if I have to repeat this cycle, I'll have to get another job. But it won't be food service. Never, never, never again. I watched the other bartender get yelled at tonight by a 9-year-old girl demanding food menus. I want to live in a world where that's not okay.

First: LOVE your name... :) Used to love those books as a kid.

Secondly, sadly, there is no part of the world where yelling at your server is not ok. Bad world.

scottstot

New

Post by scottstot » Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 am

I hate my job more than is probably healthy

everytime I come to this thread it makes me feel a little better

2 more months...

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:48 am

Last edited by blue5385 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:57 am

Today is my last day!

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 am

I gave my notice last week and man are people acting shady. Kind of like the "you are dead to us now" mentality. Oh well, more confirmation that I'm making the right move.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Thu May 27, 2010 11:04 am

OrcinusOrcas wrote:Was thinking of quitting 6 weeks ahead of time and getting a credit card with like $1000 credit line and using that to pay for groceries and gas over the next few weeks. So miserable that I actually didn't care if it made my credit score go down since my PLUS loan for next year was already approved...bleh.

I actually reduced my hours from full-time to part-time because I'm terrified of how depressed my job is making me. Being homesick in addition to that does not help. Right now I'm trying to just keep my head above water and keep everything as simple as possible until I'm out of this purgatory. I really need July to get here so I can see my family(haven't been home in over a year, have not seen my parents, friends, etc), relax, detoxify myself of my job and feel better already. I try so hard to feel OK these days, but it's like my job is a 50-pound weight that keeps making me sink deeper and deeper into my depression all over again on Monday mornings, no matter how much I struggle.

But I'll soldier on. That's all I've got. It helps to know that there are people out there who know my pain.
Sorry. Remember, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. A bright expensive light.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:07 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Thu May 27, 2010 11:24 am

blue5385 wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:I gave my notice last week and man are people acting shady. Kind of like the "you are dead to us now" mentality. Oh well, more confirmation that I'm making the right move.
Are they at least giving you less work? I actually started getting more work and responsibilities when I let my supervisor know I was leaving.
Definintely less work. More like no work. LOL.

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 am

I have 10 days left after today. I cannot wait. :P

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 27, 2010 11:36 am

SportsFanatic wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:I gave my notice last week and man are people acting shady. Kind of like the "you are dead to us now" mentality. Oh well, more confirmation that I'm making the right move.
Are they at least giving you less work? I actually started getting more work and responsibilities when I let my supervisor know I was leaving.
Definintely less work. More like no work. LOL.
Same with me. I let them know I was leaving on Tuesday. But I haven't had much work for a while anyways.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:39 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu May 27, 2010 11:41 am

I'm here another 9 weeks or so. I like this place a lot and might try to come back here with my JD, but it's hard not to check out a little when you get admitted ED in December and don't leave town until the following August.

straxen

Bronze

Post by straxen » Thu May 27, 2010 11:44 am

I'm an associate at an accounting firm and let one of the partners know I'm going to law school yesterday and would need to be gone by July 1. I was almost hoping to get walked immediately or told to leave sooner, but no and I've still got to work for five weeks...ugh. Unexpectedly, everyone's being super nice to me now. I think they see potential future referral source written all over me.

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:56 am

blue5385 wrote:I'm hoping I'll get less work when my replacement arrives next week, but most people have no idea what they're doing their first few weeks on the job, so I doubt it.
Good luck with that...since my replacement showed up a week ago training her has been ROUGH! She's totally lost, turns out she lied about her background and qualifications on her resume, and to cap it all off she's making $3/hr more than me when I was refused a raise due to a company pay freeze. Oh. And I'm not allowed to use the rest of my vacation time. Sooo looking forward to being done in a week.

odon59

New

Post by odon59 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:58 am

I just told my boss June 30th will be my last day. I have no work to do here and haven't for months.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AsylumPB

Bronze

Post by AsylumPB » Thu May 27, 2010 11:59 am

LadyLuck2010 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I'm hoping I'll get less work when my replacement arrives next week, but most people have no idea what they're doing their first few weeks on the job, so I doubt it.
Good luck with that...since my replacement showed up a week ago training her has been ROUGH! She's totally lost, turns out she lied about her background and qualifications on her resume, and to cap it all off she's making $3/hr more than me when I was refused a raise due to a company pay freeze. Oh. And I'm not allowed to use the rest of my vacation time. Sooo looking forward to being done in a week.
teach her to do things the wrong way....and then make fun of her when she screws up

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu May 27, 2010 12:05 pm

AsylumPB wrote:
LadyLuck2010 wrote:
teach her to do things the wrong way....and then make fun of her when she screws up
That's what happened to me!!!

AnthonyNicator

New

Post by AnthonyNicator » Thu May 27, 2010 12:10 pm

i worked as a waiter for the majority of my undergrad years, high amounts of money but the work made me want to throw the plates half the time. i equate my job to the movie 'waiting'; currently i teach english. lol. so easy.

historyholly

New

Post by historyholly » Thu May 27, 2010 12:15 pm

40 more days, not counting the weekends and the week vacation I am taking. I was sad about leaving my job, but I just got a passive aggressive email about accidentally leaving my water bottle in the front office and about me being at work sick this week even though everyone in the office knows I have tons of work to get done before I leave. I am just thankful I sit in a corner by myself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 27, 2010 12:33 pm

The corporate office culture in a nutshell:

Neither hard work is rewarded nor sloppy work punished. All events that occur or decisions that are made are products of a random, emotional, and irrational bureaucracy whose authority may not and can not be challenged. Outside of this, the only thing to do is kiss ass and wait your turn.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 27, 2010 12:36 pm

blue5385 wrote:
JCougar wrote:The corporate office culture in a nutshell:

Neither hard work is rewarded nor sloppy work punished. All events that occur or decisions that are made are products of a random, emotional, and irrational bureaucracy whose authority may not and can not be challenged. Outside of this, the only thing to do is kiss ass and wait your turn.
oh, hard work is rewarded alright...with more work that is significantly above one's pay grade (with no raise or promotion, obviously).
If I could only get work that is at my pay grade, rather than below. My manager is so out of it. She gives me these menial busywork assignments and expects them to take me two weeks to complete, and I can get them done in two hours. It's been over a year here since I've worked on an actual, meaningful project.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”