Virginia Fee Waiver - Apply or not to Apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
andythecandyman

Virginia Fee Waiver - Apply or not to Apply?

Postby andythecandyman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi All - first time poster

I just got a fee waiver for U Virginia, which I was not planning on applying to because I assumed I was out of their range.
I'm a splitter in the worst way (3.9, 164), but I do like many things about Virginia. I have a solid PS, very good LOR and decent softs.

Worth a shot? Do people that get a fee waiver have any better chance at acceptance than those who do not?
Or do you think they're just looking for more people to reject.

I look forward to any advice. Thanks!

azlawlady

Re: Virginia Fee Waiver - Apply or not to Apply?

Postby azlawlady » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:22 pm

I say go for it! The chances of you being accepted are VERY teeny tiny, but if the app is free, why not? I think I remember somebody with 161/3.9 (non-URM) type numbers that got in, so anything can be possible :D

Cramble

Postby Cramble » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Go for it.

seb819

Postby seb819 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:10 pm

Assuming you can spare the $12, what do you really have to lose?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:15 pm

Yes. No. Maybe.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:18 pm

TrojanBadger

Postby TrojanBadger » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Who cares if they're just looking for more people to reject?

Same situation with me and Northwestern. I have no WE, and 94% of their incoming classes do. I have dec numbers, so I figure I have a 2% chance (just speculating). That's not worth $112, but $12 since they sent me a fee waiver....why the hell not??? $12 for a chance to surprise yourself with a benefit that'll pay off for a lifetime???

drew

Postby drew » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 pm

It's twelve bucks.

HipHopAPotamus

Postby HipHopAPotamus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 pm

I had same situation (165, 3.8) and got UVA fee waiver so I applied although I'm not expecting much. It's a no-risk, high reward scenario, unless 12 bucks will bankrupt you.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Go for it, but don't get your hopes up.

After my June score back in a day, I received a bunch of fee waivers. In October I visited the Chicago law forum with one of my aims being to try to determine how much FWs meant by talking to the adcomms. When I realized the Virginia adcom was handing out FWs to every single person that approached UVA's table with questions, I knew I had my answer.

Bottom line: they don't appear to be terribly selective with fee waivers at all. That said, you should still apply if you have interest in the school.

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:06 pm

dresden doll wrote:Go for it, but don't get your hopes up.

After my June score back in a day, I received a bunch of fee waivers. In October I visited the Chicago law forum with one of my aims being to try to determine how much FWs meant by talking to the adcomms. When I realized the Virginia adcom was handing out FWs to every single person that approached UVA's table with questions, I knew I had my answer.

Bottom line: they don't appear to be terribly selective with fee waivers at all. That said, you should still apply if you have interest in the school.

Shit! I should've gone to one of those law forum things. Probably could've saved myself a couple hundred dollars at least :(

J-Rod

Postby J-Rod » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Definitely apply!! I'm attending UVA and I got in with VERY similar numbers

Goliadkin_Jr

Postby Goliadkin_Jr » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:19 pm

use it

LSATahhhh

Postby LSATahhhh » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:20 pm

APPLY!

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Do it. I got one, applied, got WL. Only a 160 LSAT, so that's more than I expected.

Lawyered

Postby Lawyered » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Last edited by Lawyered on Wed May 20, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:23 pm

The Agitator

Postby The Agitator » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:59 pm

If you are in-state, you'll probably get in.

isittomorrowyet

Postby isittomorrowyet » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:10 pm

Of course you should apply -- I got a fee waiver (161/4.0) and thought it would be a waste of time but applied anyway and managed to get in! You have nothing to loose but $12!

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Go for it, but don't get your hopes up.

Shit! I should've gone to one of those law forum things. Probably could've saved myself a couple hundred dollars at least :(

Actually, as far as I could tell, UVA was the only law school giving out FWs like candy (worthless for my purposes, btw, since I already had one). I did manage to snag an FW from Santa Clara, but those only got handed out to certain people (she asked my stats before giving it to me). I did have some hopes of extracting FWs from schools that I had interest in but hadn't gotten an FW from yet, but it didn't happen.

So you likely wouldn't have saved much, though the experience of meeting adcomms was rather interesting in and of itself.

tkm.

Postby tkm. » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:24 pm

you should apply! UVA is great :)

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:26 pm

uva seems to have sent out fee waivers to anyone with a 160+ and a high gpa. i got one recently, and am pretty sure that the only reason why they are doing this is to lower their %age acceptance numbers to make them look competitive. when i think about it, it makes me kinda mad that they would toy with people like that. congrats to all the people above who got in with numbers similar to these, but i think you are in the minority. i've been wrestling with the idea of applying and am definitely leaning towards not.

nlb238

Postby nlb238 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm struggling with this, too. I've received waivers from other schools I know are out of my range (Michigan, Northwestern) and I went ahead and applied. I think you should go for it, but with a 162/3.9 I think I'm going to pass.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:49 pm

nlb238 wrote:I'm struggling with this, too. I've received waivers from other schools I know are out of my range (Michigan, Northwestern) and I went ahead and applied. I think you should go for it, but with a 162/3.9 I think I'm going to pass.

it is comforting to know that i am not the only one jumping at the chance to apply to these top schools without the numbers to actually get in. did you get in or wl to mich or nu, nlb?

mrdal

Postby mrdal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:32 am

It's funny that I hopped on this thread after reading through the vitriol being spewed in the "Garbage Threads" thread. What a contrast. This one is alive with positive vibes and contradicts what that OP was spouting.

Thanks folks. I just got the waiver too. Don't have the numbers. But what the hell.

Any UVA adcomms out there... You're welcome. Because of TLS you might be able to reject enough of us to get a shot at t5.

Anyway, I just enjoyed the encouragement here. Of course it also helps that the application was just a pleasure to fill out compared to some others.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”