Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jgonetolaw

Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School

Postby jgonetolaw » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:19 am

Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol
Last edited by jgonetolaw on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

LSATahhhh

Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?

Postby LSATahhhh » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:20 am

Depending on the state, sometimes you can but you have to take the extra steps to do so.

BarackObama

Postby BarackObama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am

Leo did it.

Archon D: terrorface

Postby Archon D: terrorface » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am

Wisconsin.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 am

BarackObama wrote:Leo did it.

in like two weeks of studying too.

jgonetolaw

Postby jgonetolaw » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:24 am

Yeah I need a list of states. Because if I can do this I will not shell out any money going to Law School. :lol:

BarackObama

Postby BarackObama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 am

iceberger wrote:

But then he landed in a French prison, so...maybe not the best example.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 am

jgonetolaw wrote:Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol

But who would hire you? Also, you might pass the written exam but not qualify simply because it is my understanding that they also consider whether you went to a sufficiently competent facility of higher education.

Lawyered

Postby Lawyered » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 am

Last edited by Lawyered on Tue May 19, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgonetolaw

Postby jgonetolaw » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:31 am

Kohinoor wrote:
jgonetolaw wrote:Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol

But who would hire you? Also, you might pass the written exam but not qualify simply because it is my understanding that they also consider whether you went to a sufficiently competent facility of higher education.

Work for yourself. Private Practice never fails. Once your licensed thats all that matters.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:32 am

BarackObama wrote:
iceberger wrote:

But then he landed in a French prison, so...maybe not the best example.

The real guy did it, but only on his third try.

jgonetolaw

Re: TAKING THE BAR EXAM INSTEAD WITHOUT ATTENDING A LAW SCHOOL ?

Postby jgonetolaw » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:35 am

BarackObama

Postby BarackObama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 am

jgonetolaw wrote:Interesting story

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/119619

"That's up to the person hiring that attorney," Martin countered. "It should be a free market."

:?:

Then why place the limits on who can take the test? In fact, why have a test at all if we want a truly free market? We should just make everyone a licensed attorney at birth. Senator Martin, your plan stifles the free market!

lostmyname

Postby lostmyname » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:57 am

jgonetolaw wrote:Yeah I need a list of states. Because if I can do this I will not shell out any money going to Law School. :lol:

Hmm... to learn the law and to be a lawyer, you need to be able to do research on laws by yourself.
Consider it your first step to legal success!

playhero

Postby playhero » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:06 am

In California you can do it.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:22 am

What was babs22pa telling you about CAPS? You really should listen.

SoxyPirate

Postby SoxyPirate » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:27 am

LMFAO

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 am

jgonetolaw wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Work for yourself. Private Practice never fails. Once your licensed thats all that matters.

You don't seem to understand that you can pass the written test and still not pass the bar. If they think you're a liability they can fail you. Then presenting yourself to others as a lawyer is illegal so you cannot do private practice.

yagrish

Re: Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School

Postby yagrish » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:39 am

http://www.becomingalawyerwithoutlawschool.blogspot.com/

somewhere on this page, this guy lists the states where you can pass the bar without going to law school.

jgonetolaw

Postby jgonetolaw » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:39 am

You don't seem to understand that you can pass the written test and still not pass the bar. If they think you're a liability they can fail you. Then presenting yourself to others as a lawyer is illegal so you cannot do private practice.

If you pass the Bar Exam and become licensed by the BAR then your a lawyer no matter if you attended school or not. Besides many people have taken the Cal Bar Exam without legal education and passed it successfuly. If a person is dedicated in studying the law and the Bar Review courses without attending school they can pass the BAR.

BarackObama

Postby BarackObama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:51 am

jgonetolaw wrote:

If you pass the Bar Exam and become licensed by the BAR then your a lawyer no matter if you attended school or not. Besides many people have taken the Cal Bar Exam without legal education and passed it successfuly. If a person is dedicated in studying the law and the Bar Review courses without attending school they can pass the BAR.

Yeah, but what good is it being a lawyer if you don't have any clients? Just so you can tell people at your high school reunion that you're a lawyer?

dudeman101

Postby dudeman101 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 am

if i recall correctly, in VA you can take the bar and get your license without going to law school by doing an apprenticeship with an attorney... but i think it takes like 5 yrs

CastleRock

Postby CastleRock » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:36 am

I don't want to be the asshole who brings up Wikipedia, but this is what it has to say:

In California, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington[3], an applicant who has not attended law school may take the bar exam after study under a judge or practicing attorney for an extended period of time. This method is known as "reading law" or "reading the law".

New York requires that applicants who are reading the law must have at least one year of law school study. (See Rule 540.4 of the Rules of the Court of Appeals for the Admission of Attorneys.)

Maine allows students with two years of law school to serve an apprenticeship in lieu of completing their third year

Found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_to_the_bar_in_the_United_States.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”