Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hotburrito

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby hotburrito » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:42 pm

doyleoil wrote:
ezpar wrote:
doyleoil wrote:congrats cameltaur! you give me hope...especially after another day of coming home to a big old envelope on my front step....that wasn't from columbia :x

I know! There's been a gigantic package from schools other than Columbia for like 5 days in a row.

haha isn't that annoying? i mean, i love these schools...but i'm considering telling the mailman to hang on to them all until there's SOMETHING from columbia, one way or the other

yes!! look, law schools, i don't need big fat envelopes full of faculty profiles or curriculum plans. that's what the internet is for.

elisecolette

Postby elisecolette » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:05 pm

hotburrito wrote:yes!! look, law schools, i don't need big fat envelopes full of faculty profiles or curriculum plans. that's what the internet is for.

+1

I constantly cringe at all of the wasted paper and money and effort by my mailman!

cameltaur

Postby cameltaur » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Also, for the record, I did NOT recieve a fall grade request...I know this is a question that most people seem to ask.

ihatelaw

Postby ihatelaw » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:41 pm

if you did well in your fall semester you might as well send it anyway..

treple

Postby treple » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:08 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
WAHiker wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Considering hand-delivering my LOCI. Thoughts?

If CLS is THE place for you, then go for it. Just make sure that your hand delivery is noted somewhere. It would be a shame if all that effort went unnoticed.

Hahaha. Ironically, I was thinking of hand-delivering on the way to NYU ASD. I'll leave that part off.

Just a guess, but a smart admissions committee is going to know when NYU ASD weekend is, and if you hand deliver it, I'm pretty sure they'll be tipped off that you're visiting NYU. Not sure if you want to get 'psuedo yield-protected'.

Say you're kind of dating a girl... So you go to visit... But since you're in the area of this other girl whose slightly more attractive, you swing by and give her some flowers. Now the prettier girl is going to be happy at first for the flowers, until she realizes that you were just 'in the area' and were actually visiting another girl...

hangingonastar

Postby hangingonastar » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Received "hold" letter today, dated February 19. Applied 12/31. Index number 4.8 counting high LSAT, 4.7 with the average.

I don't get it...

duckfan00

Postby duckfan00 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:09 pm

WTF!!...does not make any sense...

Objection

Postby Objection » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:28 pm

I have a feeling that Columbia is holding far more people than they actually need to hold to see if those 4.4+s that get held send in any sort of additional info to show they're serious about attending.

Say they have 100 spots left in their class, and they know that historically 25% of their hold list sends in additional material, they may hold the 400 best applicants.

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Are we sure that the above posters theory about them holding because they're behind isn't true, though?

hangingonastar

Postby hangingonastar » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Objection wrote:I have a feeling that Columbia is holding far more people than they actually need to hold to see if those 4.4+s that get held send in any sort of additional info to show they're serious about attending.

I'm hoping so! And to think that I was actually hoping for a Hamilton...

lrn218

Postby lrn218 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Got my hold letter today too. Argh. I really thought I'd get in for some reason. Makes me feel a little better that you're on hold with your numbers. And I really don't have any new info to send as proof of my interest...

RussianGirl

Postby RussianGirl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:11 pm

hangingonastar wrote:
Objection wrote:I have a feeling that Columbia is holding far more people than they actually need to hold to see if those 4.4+s that get held send in any sort of additional info to show they're serious about attending.

I'm hoping so! And to think that I was actually hoping for a Hamilton...

????? you DESERVE a Hamilton with those numbers. I'm baffled :shock:

tkj

Postby tkj » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:30 pm

Last edited by tkj on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:01 pm

I don't understand why they'd hold people if they intend to accept them later. Wouldn't that just annoy them/force them so start seeing themselves somewhere else, thus making it LESS likely that they go there?

sperry

Postby sperry » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:53 pm

iagolives wrote:I don't understand why they'd hold people if they intend to accept them later. Wouldn't that just annoy them/force them so start seeing themselves somewhere else, thus making it LESS likely that they go there?

Helps with yield. If they really want to go to CLS, they'll stick around to find out. If they don't they'll withdraw and it will help yield statistics. Feels better then getting actually waitlisted, so it won't piss people off as much. Luckily I won't be getting yield protected anywhere.

gannak

Postby gannak » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:15 pm

looking at lsn is depressing. there are so many people on hold.

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:20 pm

which makes me think they're holding people because they're behind on evaluating apps

her034

Postby her034 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:42 pm

I haven't heard anything from Columbia yet, but I'm curious about best case scenarios for people that don't have a decision yet (either no word at all, or are on hold). After reading the threads from last year, it looks like Columbia sends out their need and merit aid as one amount in late March/April, and I'm imagine even people originally on hold but eventually accepted would have an equal chance at that.

Are scholarships like the Hamilton generally also given on a rolling basis, such as when original scholarship recipients withdraw, or are those probably done for this cycle? Could that be a possible reason why some really strong applicants are on hold (because they want to be able to offer admission and scholarships to those applicants at once)? I realize this is all speculation, but I'm hopeful someone has seen LSN profiles that answer some of these questions.

lrn218

Postby lrn218 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:16 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Considering hand-delivering my LOCI. Thoughts?

I might be being dense here, but what's a LOCl?

cupofcoffee

Postby cupofcoffee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:20 pm

Letter of Continued Interest

It's basically a letter letting them know that you are truly interested in attending a particular law school usually sent when you are on hold or on a waitlist.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:00 am

gannak wrote:looking at lsn is depressing. there are so many people on hold.

Look at 06-07 it might cheer you up. More on hold, tons of acceptances. Maybe they had a boost that year and are trying to reduplicate their strategy.

justaguy

Postby justaguy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:11 am

Last edited by justaguy on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

elisecolette

Postby elisecolette » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:44 am

Did you all put the "hold" status on your LSN? Is there something for that, I don't want to put waitlisted so I left it at pending, but if you are able to check people last year that got in off the hold, I guess there's clearly a way to post it somehow and I'm just LSN-retarded.... (?)

pineapples

Postby pineapples » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:51 am

I'm on reserve. Kinda confused...

hopeful09

Postby hopeful09 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:59 am

Got the hold letter with a 4.7 index. Even if they are holding for yield protection, I agree with one of the above posters that this definitely gives me a more negative impressive of Columbia and makes me less likely to see myself at CLS. I was also originally crossing my fingers for a Hamilton offer...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”