Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cameltaur

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby cameltaur » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Offices were probably closed monday and I doubt people got much done today, so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens until next week.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:46 pm

^^mid-april? i don't recall a firm guarantee

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

what makes columbia so slow?? i've basically forgotten i applied by now, since i've had so long to adjust to the idea of going to other places.

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:49 pm

cameltaur wrote:Offices were probably closed monday and I doubt people got much done today, so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens until next week.

:(

yagrish

Postby yagrish » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:53 pm

cameltaur wrote:Offices were probably closed monday and I doubt people got much done today, so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens until next week.

Last year, it was Wed after MLK Day, so maybe this year will be the same

cameltaur

Postby cameltaur » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:54 pm

yagrish wrote:

Didn't notice that, interesting...I guess we'll know soon enough.

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Not to change the topic, but cameltaur, I am surprised you haven't been accepted by HLS yet...

I REALLY hope we hear good news from CLS soon!

cameltaur

Postby cameltaur » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:04 pm

huckabees wrote:Not to change the topic, but cameltaur, I am surprised you haven't been accepted by HLS yet...

I REALLY hope we hear good news from CLS soon!

hah thanks for the vote of confidence, but i think i'm basically out because I was in the early group of apps that all heard before new years...I think that a waitlist is most likely at this point, but i'd be very happy at NYU or Chicago, or CLS if i'm lucky.

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:17 pm

You went to an ivy and got a 4.0 and are worried about CLS?

Yikes, that does not bode well for many of us...

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:51 pm

yagrish wrote:

That means we could hear as early as tomorrow?

mallard

Postby mallard » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Amy, it's worth noting that the Metro-North lines stop at a Harlem station not far from Columbia's campus. Then again, it's a very brief ride from Grand Central to NYU.

jeeves0923

Postby jeeves0923 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Is "My Columbia Law" on service outage for everyone else?

LGK

Postby LGK » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:05 am

mallard wrote:Amy, it's worth noting that the Metro-North lines stop at a Harlem station not far from Columbia's campus. Then again, it's a very brief ride from Grand Central to NYU.

Uhhh...maybe you've never been up here, but the Metro-North stop in Harlem is a fair hike from Columbia. A fair, dangerous hike. East Harlem is a shithole. People get shot and robbed regularly. An NYU kid got killed in that area a few years ago. A friend of mine got assaulted. It's at least a 20-25 minute walk and maybe longer, it's over 1.5 miles, and it's only safe to do in daylight. At night you'd have to take a cab or bus, even that's pushing it.

Metro North from Grand Central to NYU is like 10 minutes when the 6 train doesn't crap out and is fine.

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:08 am

LGK wrote:Uhhh...maybe you've never been up here, but the Metro-North stop in Harlem is a fair hike from Columbia. A fair, dangerous hike. East Harlem is a shithole. People get shot and robbed regularly. An NYU kid got killed in that area a few years ago. A friend of mine got assaulted. It's at least a 20-25 minute walk and maybe longer, it's over 1.5 miles, and it's only safe to do in daylight. At night you'd have to take a cab or bus, even that's pushing it.

Metro North from Grand Central to NYU is like 10 minutes when the 6 train doesn't crap out and is fine.

Ooh.

Good you were here to call me out. For some reason I thought the stop was in West Harlem. Should have googled it.

Thanks. Amy, I rescind my previous comment.

pseudonymous1

Postby pseudonymous1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 am

mallard wrote:
LGK wrote:Uhhh...maybe you've never been up here, but the Metro-North stop in Harlem is a fair hike from Columbia. A fair, dangerous hike. East Harlem is a shithole. People get shot and robbed regularly. An NYU kid got killed in that area a few years ago. A friend of mine got assaulted. It's at least a 20-25 minute walk and maybe longer, it's over 1.5 miles, and it's only safe to do in daylight. At night you'd have to take a cab or bus, even that's pushing it.

Ooh.

Good you were here to call me out. For some reason I thought the stop was in West Harlem. Should have googled it.

Thanks. Amy, I rescind my previous comment.

To fight anectotal evidence with anectodal evidence, my friends and I lived a few blocks west of the metro north stop in Harlem. Not the nicest neighborhood, but we routinely walked in and around the station late at night...$600 rent (inc. utilities, cable, internet, etc. (4 roomates though, so don't get too excited)) is worth it, even if you account for the semi-annual muggings.

Taking the bus accross 125th street is as safe as any other bus as far as I'm concerned, and if saving money is important to you, commuting via the 125th harlem stop shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Just watch your back fool!

LGK

Postby LGK » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 am

pseudonymous1 wrote:my friends and I lived a few blocks west of the metro north stop in Harlem.
. . .
Just watch your back fool!

I'm quoting the most important parts. West of Lenox is fine. Lenox and east is pretty terrible. I'm assuming you lived on Lenox? Or west of Lenox? Because there are only 1-2 avenues between Lenox and the Metro North terminal at Park Ave.

I live on 125 and Broadway currently. And my rent is also in the $600-700 mo. range. And I also walk around without too much fear. And I have the Fairway :P Represent!

tjb

Postby tjb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:14 am

LGK wrote:
mallard wrote:Amy, it's worth noting that the Metro-North lines stop at a Harlem station not far from Columbia's campus. Then again, it's a very brief ride from Grand Central to NYU.

Uhhh...maybe you've never been up here, but the Metro-North stop in Harlem is a fair hike from Columbia. A fair, dangerous hike. East Harlem is a shithole. People get shot and robbed regularly. An NYU kid got killed in that area a few years ago. A friend of mine got assaulted. It's at least a 20-25 minute walk and maybe longer, it's over 1.5 miles, and it's only safe to do in daylight. At night you'd have to take a cab or bus, even that's pushing it.

I have to put my two cents in because I love New York City & have spent practically my entire life here.

First of all, muggings happen EVERYWHERE in the city. One of my closest friends decided to live near Grand Central because of the great neighborhood & accessibility to the rest of the city. She was MUGGED & beaten on 42nd & 2nd in broad daylight!! Luckily a doorman saw her & came to her rescue (but they never did find the muggers & it took her some time to recover)... So, the moral of the story is please don't pass such judgment on Harlem (or the rest of the City) if you've never visited the area & you never know what's going to happen!! You should always watch your back in the City because you just never know--no matter where you live! My sister (she's 18) goes to City College of New York & loves living in Harlem! I visit her all the time alone (yes, I am a female) & have never had a problem ever!! The trains near 125th are usually EXPRESS which means you can get around the City so quickly & there are sooo many stores & it is such a vibrant lifestyle- I love Harlem & if I ever was accepted to CLS, I would live there in a heartbeat. Seriously, it's super cheap, which means you can cut back on your loans & extremely accessible to CLS. Good luck & please, don't judge a book by its cover.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:18 am

sure muggings happen everywhere, but they happen more frequently in shady neighborhoods.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:21 am

Can we move the location/muggings discussion to another thread (say, "Life Around Columbia")? Everytime this thread gets bumped, my hopes get raised. It's getting a bit annoying.

LGK

Postby LGK » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 am

tjb wrote:First of all, muggings happen EVERYWHERE in the city. One of my closest friends decided to live near Grand Central because of the great neighborhood & accessibility to the rest of the city. She was MUGGED & beaten on 42nd & 2nd in broad daylight!!

They do happen everywhere. I know people who've had bad things happen to them downtown too. However, "firing a gun several times into a crowd" usually only happens in Washington Heights and East Harlem. I, personally, would rather be mugged.

tjb wrote:So, the moral of the story is please don't pass such judgment on Harlem (or the rest of the City) if you've never visited the area & you never know what's going to happen!!

I've lived in Harlem for years. I live on the West side. I dated someone who lived in the East part of it for a while and went over there frequently. I'm allowed to pass judgment and pass on what I've learned. I don't have a lot of confidence that the area is going to improve any time soon because of the freeze/downturn in police hiring and shitty economy.

tjb wrote:My sister (she's 18) goes to City College of New York & loves living in Harlem! I visit her all the time alone (yes, I am a female) & have never had a problem ever!!

City College is on the west side of Harlem. It's iffier than where I live, but still not THAT terrible. It also doesn't negate anything I've been saying all along, which is that the west side is fine, but people should think long and hard before living or travelling frequently to the east side.

So you just visit? You don't live here or have the knowledge of the area of someone who does? Let me guess that most of your visits are not at 1am.

jeeves0923

Postby jeeves0923 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:47 am

Lem37 wrote:Can we move the location/muggings discussion to another thread (say, "Life Around Columbia")? Everytime this thread gets bumped, my hopes get raised. It's getting a bit annoying.

+1

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:31 pm

my application here is "completion Pending" ... i applied on 12/31. has any1 else had this problem?

coqui

Postby coqui » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:my application here is "completion Pending" ... i applied on 12/31. has any1 else had this problem?

takes about 3 weeks from that point to go complete

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:40 pm

^ Correct.

If anyone gets a decision today, please post!

whyamidoingthis

Postby whyamidoingthis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:37 pm

good luck everyone, I hope people hear today!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”