Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tome

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby tome » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Prodigy wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:OMFG! An intelligent, cogent response. My brainz ... they hurtz!

I can't decide if I hate you or like you.

First, for shitting on CLS, I hated you.
Then I liked you for making me LOL when you did the same thing in the Princeton Law thread.
Then I hated you for acting like a troll and expecting serious responses.
Then I liked you for your big penis.
Then I hated you for talking about your big penis and still expecting serious responses.

I guess the dice lands on me hating you. Thanks for playing :|

This is the hall mark of the truly talented troll. I tip my hat to your sir! (The truth of the matter is that he kept you playing dude, and much longer than one might have reasonably anticipated)

Anyway, 4.7 (if the +7 retry is true) and I have no idea about the school really. I'll visit if I get in. I am a foreigner so I just applied everywhere and decided to let them to the bulk of the sorting for me.

What I do like about it is that it is Ivy League, which means people back home will have heard of it, which means they will be more likely to hire me. That and it is in NYC, I mean you've got to live there once in you life, right?

deneuve39

Postby deneuve39 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Just a note to all ED applicants who are still waiting, I called today and they said that they were waiting until they got grades from all ED applicants back (I'm assuming so they can compare them...) But, they did say decisions would be going out "within a week or two."

WAHiker

Postby WAHiker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

Also waiting, but not expecting a whole lot... 4.1 index

A boy can dream, can't he? :|

CCA

Postby CCA » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm

I am waiting on Columbia RD with borderline numbers. Are they still accepting for ED only?

Roo

Postby Roo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:00 pm

So for the record, I started by calling it a "shit hole", and have since upgraded it to "dump."

So, for those of us actually concerned about running up huge loans b/c of the cost of living in NY, can I assume this means that going to Columbia will be cheaper than going to NYU, assuming I want to live near school?

I got into NYU, and am waiting on Columbia (index # 4.5)

srb

Postby srb » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Roo wrote:
So for the record, I started by calling it a "shit hole", and have since upgraded it to "dump."

So, for those of us actually concerned about running up huge loans b/c of the cost of living in NY, can I assume this means that going to Columbia will be cheaper than going to NYU, assuming I want to live near school?

I got into NYU, and am waiting on Columbia (index # 4.5)

Yes. You can get a place in Harlem or further, still close to school, for much cheaper than an apartment in the village.

Roo

Postby Roo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Yes. You can get a place in Harlem or further, still close to school, for much cheaper than an apartment in the village.

Thanks. This is pretty much settles the debate for me - I mean, what is the difference really between NYU and Columbia other than the latter could you save you a considerable amount of money? Unless of course your parents are paying/you get an NYU scholarship.

gbz

Postby gbz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:44 pm

CLS: Tuition for 2008-2009 is $44,124
NYU: $42,890

In the end, don't use money as an excuse for choosing one over the other. It probably evens out in the end.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Roo wrote:

Thanks. This is pretty much settles the debate for me - I mean, what is the difference really between NYU and Columbia other than the latter could you save you a considerable amount of money? Unless of course your parents are paying/you get an NYU scholarship.

There are plenty of differences. I would visit both and talk to current students before making any decisions. Both are fantastic schools, but there are important differences beyond cost to consider.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Roo wrote:

you could get an apartment in the lower east side, towards 1st or 2nd avenue for an affordable price. The area is nicer and the commute to NYU is not too bad. Living in Harlem can get dangerous at nights*. But realistically, NYC is so small and convenient that you can live anywhere in the 3 major boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens) and get to Columbia/NYU in under 45 minutes commute.

*And yes I do live in NYC and yes I have worked in Harlem extensively and have friends that live there and visit often so YES I do know what I am talking about and am not generalizing.

LGK

Postby LGK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Depends on what part of Harlem. The west side is relatively safe. I'm small and female and come home late and alone and do otherwise stupid things and I've never had a problem in that neighborhood.

My old roommate got a slurpee thrown at him from a moving car and was chastized for being a little white boy. Drive-by-slurpeing was the worst I've seen in my neighborhood. I also saw one fist fight. YAWN.

In "nice" areas, on the other hand, I've been assaulted on the subway in broad daylight, and one of my friends was almost abducted on west 14th street in broad daylight. The west village also recently had a very public mugging rampage.

However, East Harlem (Lenox Ave and east), people in crowds get shot on a regular basis, at least a few times a year. I don't blame anyone from staying away from that war zone.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:12 pm

LGK wrote:Depends on what part of Harlem. The west side is relatively safe. I'm small and female and come home late and alone and do otherwise stupid things and I've never had a problem in that neighborhood.

My old roommate got a slurpee thrown at him from a moving car and was chastized for being a little white boy. Drive-by-slurpeing was the worst I've seen in my neighborhood. I also saw one fist fight. YAWN.

On the other hand I've been assaulted on the subway in broad daylight, and one of my friends was almost abducted on west 14th street in broad daylight. The west village also recently had a very public mugging rampage.

However, East Harlem (Lenox Ave and east), people in crowds get shot on a regular basis, at least a few times a year.

Hmm....It looks like which city I'm less likely to get killed in will now have to factor in to my law school decision.

LGK

Postby LGK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Just stay away from the neighborhoods with a lot of rich people. We don't have the second amendment here and wealthy unarmed targets are unsurprisingly welcoming to trouble. And stay away from East Harlem. That's been my strategy.

PS Also watch out for slurpees from moving cars.

Nemorino

Postby Nemorino » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:23 pm

gbz wrote:CLS: Tuition for 2008-2009 is $44,124
NYU: $42,890

In the end, don't use money as an excuse for choosing one over the other. It probably evens out in the end.

Average cost of a pint of guinness near NYU = $7
Average cost of a pint of guinness near Columbia = $4

Assuming that you consume 1 pint everyday during the three academic years (i.e. 8 months) of your law school career:

Money saved by attending Columbia = $3 x 730 = $2,190

So that more than makes up for the tuition difference.

(you can also save $500-$1,000 per month on housing costs)

Prodigy

Postby Prodigy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Nemorino wrote:Average cost of a pint of guinness near NYU = $7
Average cost of a pint of guinness near Columbia = $4

Assuming that you consume 1 pint everyday during the three academic years (i.e. 8 months) of your law school career:

Money saved by attending Columbia = $3 x 730 = $2,190

So that more than makes up for the tuition difference.

(you can also save $500-$1,000 per month on housing costs)

Can't we just drink automobile oil? Your taste buds would probably thank you.
Last edited by Prodigy on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LGK

Postby LGK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:38 pm

The average cost of pizza is lower around Columbia than NYU too. I know at least two places on west 125th where I can get a big $2 slice. Downtown it's $2.75 for that crap.

Pizza. It's what's for dinner.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm

LGK wrote:The average cost of pizza is lower around Columbia than NYU too. I know at least two places on west 125th where I can get a big $2 slice. Downtown it's $2.75 for that crap.

sounds like the fast-track to eligibility for "the biggest loser" - what i want to know is how do the sushi prices compare

gannak

Postby gannak » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm

harlem is dirty. i eat at the restaurants around columbia every once in awhile, but most of the bars and stuff up here are gross. if i want to get drinks or go out to eat with someone i always leave the area.

Nemorino

Postby Nemorino » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:43 pm

doyleoil wrote:
LGK wrote:The average cost of pizza is lower around Columbia than NYU too. I know at least two places on west 125th where I can get a big $2 slice. Downtown it's $2.75 for that crap.

sounds like the fast-track to eligibility for "the biggest loser" - what i want to know is how do the sushi prices compare

Most of New York Sushi = Overpriced Crap

A small minority of New York Sushi = Overpriced ($60+ per person) quality

LGK

Postby LGK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Do other cities have seamlessweb? Because I can't live without the ability to order sushi online and have it appear at my door. Regardless of how good or bad it is.

I must give the impression that I'm 300 pounds because of all this pizza and sushi I'm eating without leaving my house.

whyamidoingthis

Postby whyamidoingthis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:54 pm

LGK wrote:Do other cities have seamlessweb? Because I can't live without the ability to order sushi online and have it appear at my door. Regardless of how good or bad it is.

I must give the impression that I'm 300 pounds because of all this pizza and sushi I'm eating without leaving my house.

Yes, I now have a very clear image of you....california roll in one hand, dripping cheese slice in the other. On a couch. In Lenfest Hall.

cameltaur

Postby cameltaur » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Any possibility of the first RD acceptances this week?

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Looks like they haven't even finished with ED.

Not very many acceptances on LSN...

bgc

Postby bgc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:23 am

In the course of my obsessive status checking, I noticed this sentence:

We hope you find your personalized My Columbia Law page to be a valuable and exciting tool as you further explore the role that Columbia may play in your legal education and career.

I like that CLS sets up its status check to give you information about your declared interests. Still, if I were making admissions decisions, I don't think I would want a class of people for whom the My Columbia Law page was an exciting tool.

I find it valuable, but not exciting.

cakewalker

Postby cakewalker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:25 am

Anyone have a clue as to when Columbia's ASW is?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”