Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I didn't find one of these on a search, so I decided to start one! (If there is another, post the link to it please!)

I applied RD and am wondering when any of us will start to hear!

Here's to hoping they give me leniency in the LSAT department and good luck to everyone else!


What's your Columbia index #?

tkj
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby tkj » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm

.
Last edited by tkj on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby Lem37 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:41 pm

4.4 with my higher LSAT (4.3 if averaged). I've only been complete since 11/18, but I'm totally psyched to hear soon! Here's hoping.

cupofcoffee
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby cupofcoffee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:45 pm

What is their MO? Snail Mail?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:46 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:I didn't find one of these on a search, so I decided to start one! (If there is another, post the link to it please!)

I applied RD and am wondering when any of us will start to hear!

Here's to hoping they give me leniency in the LSAT department and good luck to everyone else!


What's your Columbia index #?


4.2 :oops:

What are other people's?


4.2 here a well, except LSAT heavy instead. I'm very seriously considering ED for the next admissions cycle.

waitingforanswers
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:54 am

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby waitingforanswers » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:48 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:I didn't find one of these on a search, so I decided to start one! (If there is another, post the link to it please!)

I applied RD and am wondering when any of us will start to hear!

Here's to hoping they give me leniency in the LSAT department and good luck to everyone else!


What's your Columbia index #?


4.2 :oops:

What are other people's?


4.3 but I'd gladly trade you .1 for either your NYU acceptance or your PhD Amy.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:50 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
4.2 here a well, except LSAT heavy instead. I'm very seriously considering ED for the next admissions cycle.


I think being LSAT heavy would be better for Columbia! I want Columbia for a bunch of reasons, but because it is further north in Manhattan than NYU, making it closer to my SOs work, shortening my commute. Greedy, I know.


I would be ecstatic with either one. Best of luck this cycle. If you make it, hopefully I'll be joining you in a year.

littleboyblue
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby littleboyblue » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:52 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
4.2 here a well, except LSAT heavy instead. I'm very seriously considering ED for the next admissions cycle.


I think being LSAT heavy would be better for Columbia! I want Columbia for a bunch of reasons, but because it is further north in Manhattan than NYU, making it closer to my SOs work, shortening my commute. Greedy, I know.


wait - did your SO accept an offer on the East Coast? (Congrats to him, if this is the case) Does that mean no Berkeley for you?

User avatar
kyle
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby kyle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:53 pm

They just sent me a fee waiver though I don't feel like I have a chance in hell. Good luck to you all

rbrown05
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby rbrown05 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:56 pm

I would say if they sent you a fee waiver, that's a pretty good sign...I'm jealous.

Can someone tell me how to calculate my index#?

And did anyone else get a request from Columbia for your Fall 2008 grades? I'm hoping this helps me since I had all A's.

littleboyblue
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby littleboyblue » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Tenatively accepted. They are dealing with his work visa now. If it works out, most likely he'll go there I would imagine. So that means no Berkeley for me ( :( ), but an nyc school instead..... :)


Welll that has to be exciting to be able to start narrowing down your choices and get an idea of where you will be next year (or at least it would be for me, someone who needs to know what's going to happen ten steps before it does!). Obviously the NYC schools are both amazing so congrats!

User avatar
deneuve39
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby deneuve39 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 pm

I've heard on the threads "Columbia 2012) and "Columbia ED deferrals are official in" that they send an e-mail w a PDF attachment which comes before the piece of snail mail.
I'm an ED applicant (I got a fall term grade request and couldn't send them until right before Christmas) and I STILL haven't heard....
Also I mentioned this somewhere else on TLS but a friend who's RD has gotten a grade request. She has a 176 and somewhere in the high 3.6 range for her GPA (meaning I think the grade request is a good sign...)

User avatar
Judicial
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby Judicial » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 pm

rbrown05 wrote:I would say if they sent you a fee waiver, that's a pretty good sign...I'm jealous.

Can someone tell me how to calculate my index#?

And did anyone else get a request from Columbia for your Fall 2008 grades? I'm hoping this helps me since I had all A's.


Get a law school numbers account and choose Columbia as one of the schools you are applying to, and LSN will calculate it for you.

Edit: add me to the waiting pool as well.
Last edited by Judicial on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littleboyblue
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby littleboyblue » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Judicial wrote:
rbrown05 wrote:I would say if they sent you a fee waiver, that's a pretty good sign...I'm jealous.

Can someone tell me how to calculate my index#?

And did anyone else get a request from Columbia for your Fall 2008 grades? I'm hoping this helps me since I had all A's.


Get a law school numbers account and choose Columbia as one of the schools you are applying to, and LSN will calculate it for you.


can't you get on your lsac page?

User avatar
Judicial
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby Judicial » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:00 pm

littleboyblue wrote:
Judicial wrote:
rbrown05 wrote:I would say if they sent you a fee waiver, that's a pretty good sign...I'm jealous.

Can someone tell me how to calculate my index#?

And did anyone else get a request from Columbia for your Fall 2008 grades? I'm hoping this helps me since I had all A's.


Get a law school numbers account and choose Columbia as one of the schools you are applying to, and LSN will calculate it for you.


can't you get on your lsac page?


Yeah, I think it's there as well. You can also do the math yourself with the info provided by LSAC.

User avatar
gannak
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby gannak » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:05 pm

i'm a 4.2 as well. a 4.1 on lsn made the waitlist, so maybe good luck for us?

User avatar
LGK
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby LGK » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:42 pm

I'm anxiously awaiting Columbia, I'd love to have all 3 of my [realistic] first choices to choose from.

And because I live a 5 minute walk from the school.

My index with my higher LSAT score is 4.4, but it's 4.3 when they're averaged.

User avatar
valleygirl
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby valleygirl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:48 pm

4.3, complete on 11/18 and joining the anxious wait :wink:

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:49 pm

gannak wrote:i'm a 4.2 as well. a 4.1 on lsn made the waitlist, so maybe good luck for us?

I'm praying so. I'm a 4.2 as well.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby legends159 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:50 pm

anyone else get the request for fall grades?

Action Jackson
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 am

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby Action Jackson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:51 pm

I thought the rule was 4.1 = waitlist, 4.2 = 50/50, 4.3+ = in.

irishlaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby irishlaw » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Hey, I'm waiting to hear from Columbia too, but I don't know anything about this index number. Can someone explain what it is, what constitutes a good index, and how I can compute my own? Thanks!

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby iceberger » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:53 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:I didn't find one of these on a search, so I decided to start one! (If there is another, post the link to it please!)

I applied RD and am wondering when any of us will start to hear!

Here's to hoping they give me leniency in the LSAT department and good luck to everyone else!


What's your Columbia index #?


4.2 :oops:

What are other people's?



4.4 here. totally prepared for some waitlist riding if necessary, cls is definitely my top choice.

strad83
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby strad83 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm 4.3 with the higher score and crossing my fingers. I'm trying not to get my hopes up as so far I haven't gotten love from Michigan or Berkeley.

Does anyone know if they take the higher LSAT when there is a significant gap? Or do they average?

Thanks!

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Postby Lem37 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm

strad83 wrote:I'm 4.3 with the higher score and crossing my fingers. I'm trying not to get my hopes up as so far I haven't gotten love from Michigan or Berkeley.

Does anyone know if they take the higher LSAT when there is a significant gap? Or do they average?

Thanks!


When I called, they said they take the higher with a 7+ point increase.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests