Vanderbilt Law Scholars Merit Awards

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grizz

Re: Vanderbilt Law Scholars Merit Awards

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 pm

From what I read, I assumed it had to be mailed. I spend $20 overnighting it to Nashville yesterday jeez what a waste.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:49 pm

bump.

How long were your answers for the questions? I jsut sent mine off feeling like they were a little skimpy. I used a little less than the entire box (with paragraph formatting). Did anyone attach separate documents?

parker09

Postby parker09 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 pm

DCD wrote:bump.

How long were your answers for the questions? I jsut sent mine off feeling like they were a little skimpy. I used a little less than the entire box (with paragraph formatting). Did anyone attach separate documents?

Still working on it, but I'm definitely planning on, at max, filling in the little box after each question-- no separate doc. I'm glad there's a box there, because otherwise I could see these each going on for a while (well, not for me, but for people who have real accomplishments). I'm tired of talking about myself, and having to try to write about how awesome I am is only reminding me of the fact that I am, in fact, not really that great.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:28 pm

parker09 wrote:I'm tired of talking about myself, and having to try to write about how awesome I am is only reminding me of the fact that I am, in fact, not really that great.

Same here.

Then again, maybe I should stop comparing myself to the top 0.0001% of law school applicants. There can't really be that many people who speak five languages, have a PhD in engineering, worked as a legal aide at Skadden, won a medal at the Olympics and single-handedly dug a water well for a grateful village in Djibouti.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:44 pm

existenz wrote:
parker09 wrote:I'm tired of talking about myself, and having to try to write about how awesome I am is only reminding me of the fact that I am, in fact, not really that great.

Same here.

Then again, maybe I should stop comparing myself to the top 0.0001% of law school applicants. There can't really be that many people who speak five languages, have a PhD in engineering, worked as a legal aide at Skadden, won a medal at the Olympics and single-handedly dug a water well for a grateful village in Djibouti.

Oh, that's the sort of stuff that makes you awesome? In that case, nevermind... I'm totes awesome. Though the village was slightly less grateful than I'd anticipated, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since the half that wasn't dehydrated was suffering from a nasty breakout of dysentery due to drinking the runoff from the next village upstream.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:55 pm

What I've got so far:

What are your strongest qualifications for these awards?
I have a 75% LSAT. Unfortunately, that is really my only qualification.

Describe your interest in law as a profession
$$$

Describe your two most significant extracurricular activities (or honors received) in college
The cast of the Kids in the Hall said hi to me one time. IM took up a lot of time.

Describe your most significant employment experience
I sold salt water taffy

What do you expect to be involved in both professionally and extracurricularly 10 years after you have graduated law school?
Some type of flying car nascar race

If you were to choose an occupation other than the practice of law, what would you choose?
See above.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:20 pm

holydonkey wrote:What I've got so far:

$$$

Describe your two most significant extracurricular activities (or honors received) in college
The cast of the Kids in the Hall said hi to me one time. IM took up a lot of time.

I sold salt water taffy

What do you expect to be involved in both professionally and extracurricularly 10 years after you have graduated law school?

If you were to choose an occupation other than the practice of law, what would you choose?
See above.

Well, crap, I might as well just withdraw my app now. Concise AND accomplished... what a combo.

Acedeuce

Postby Acedeuce » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:02 pm

$$$

I sold salt water taffy

See above.

+1 to you sir, I expect to see big things in your future.
finished mine about an hour ago, mailboxing it hopefully tonight. hoorah for soft postmark deadlines.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:10 pm

$$$

I sold salt water taffy

See above.

I love the honesty! I'm not sending it in because my responses would be similar.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Ugh. I guess I actually need to start on this thing seeing as it's 6pm. GL one and all.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:10 am

I got sick as a dog this weekend with tonsillitis and couldn't write anything decent. Basically I cut and pasted from my other application essays. I took Penn's 5 yr plan essay and changed all the 5's to tens and Penns to Vandys. I swear I checked it three times and then the forth time I realized I forgot to change one of the Penns. I took the second question from a why law essay from another app and the significant job experience from something I wrote in the military.
If I get awarded one of these it will be a miracle.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 am

Anyone get an acknowledgement that their app was received?

I emailed mine in as an attached PDF and haven't heard back yet. I'm not that worried... unless other people HAVE heard.

buddyblack

Postby buddyblack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:29 am

holydonkey wrote:Describe your two most significant extracurricular activities (or honors received) in college

That's pretty cool. The whole cast? Are they a fun live show?

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:18 am

parker09 wrote:Anyone get an acknowledgement that their app was received?

I emailed mine in as an attached PDF and haven't heard back yet. I'm not that worried... unless other people HAVE heard.

yes.. sent it via email Sunday, received conf via email Tuesday:

Dear Awesome Applicant,

Thank you for your email. We have included this information in your file.

Sincerely,
Adcom

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:29 am

buddyblack wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Describe your two most significant extracurricular activities (or honors received) in college

That's pretty cool. The whole cast? Are they a fun live show?

It was most of the cast, but a couple years after the show went off the air so they were missing a few. We got free tickets to a special they were doing, but they had overbooked so we had to sit in an upstairs lounge and watch it on a monitor. This completely sucked until the show was over and the cast came up to the lounge to get drinks/food.

Bruce McCulloch is an extremely nice guy.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:37 pm

DCD wrote:yes.. sent it via email Sunday, received conf via email Tuesday:

Dear Awesome Applicant,

Thank you for your email. We have included this information in your file.

Sincerely,
Adcom

Well, eff...

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Just called-- they had it.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:19 am

parker09 wrote:Just called-- they had it.

good.. they say why no email?

parker09

Postby parker09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:02 pm

DCD wrote:
parker09 wrote:Just called-- they had it.

good.. they say why no email?

Nope, and I didn't ask... as long as they have it, I'm okay with having to have called them to find out. (<-- awkward phrasing.)

scht

Postby scht » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:12 pm

MURPH wrote:Where are you guys getting the information that the applications cannot be submitted electronically. I printed off a copy of the application and it says in the instructions "If you wish to generate responses by computer, please attach them to this form." I was going to scan it then email them the form and attachments. Now I think I read it wrong and they mean attach as in staple or paperclip.
BTW, I live in Hawaii, which means I am going to be mailing this first thing in the morning when FedEx opens if I can't email it.

No where does it say that the form cannot be submitted electronically, or even as a part of the regular app for that matter (I checked on the website, the form, and the electronic lsac app) Please let me know where it states that the form must be mailed. I sent it as an attachment with my app and am now freaking out a bit. Thanks.

Quote from website:
"Each year, Vanderbilt provides several merit awards valued at more than full tuition to admitted applicants through a competitive selection process. To be considered, admitted applicants must complete the Application for Law Scholars Merit Awards contained in the application for admission. This form may be submitted with an application for admission (recommended) or may be sent separately after an application for admission has been filed. In either case, the deadline for submitting Law Scholars applications is January 10."

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:45 am

scht wrote:
MURPH wrote:Where are you guys getting the information that the applications cannot be submitted electronically. I printed off a copy of the application and it says in the instructions "If you wish to generate responses by computer, please attach them to this form." I was going to scan it then email them the form and attachments. Now I think I read it wrong and they mean attach as in staple or paperclip.
BTW, I live in Hawaii, which means I am going to be mailing this first thing in the morning when FedEx opens if I can't email it.

No where does it say that the form cannot be submitted electronically, or even as a part of the regular app for that matter (I checked on the website, the form, and the electronic lsac app) Please let me know where it states that the form must be mailed. I sent it as an attachment with my app and am now freaking out a bit. Thanks.

Quote from website:
"Each year, Vanderbilt provides several merit awards valued at more than full tuition to admitted applicants through a competitive selection process. To be considered, admitted applicants must complete the Application for Law Scholars Merit Awards contained in the application for admission. This form may be submitted with an application for admission (recommended) or may be sent separately after an application for admission has been filed. In either case, the deadline for submitting Law Scholars applications is January 10."

This discussion is 4 years old. Things may have changed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”