Vanderbilt Law Scholars Merit Awards Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
180orbust

New

Vanderbilt Law Scholars Merit Awards

Post by 180orbust » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:08 am

6 essay questions. . . I'm borderline numbers for admission. . . should I even bother doing this? There's nothing particularly outstanding about my academic record. . .

180orbust

New

Re: Vanderbilt Law Scholars Merit Awards

Post by 180orbust » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:09 am

Also, does this scholarship application have any impact on my regular admissions application?

LittleJenn

New

Post by LittleJenn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:22 am

I'm in the same boat as you. I'd be happy just to get in, and ecstatic get one of the other scholarships. I actually just did the application today after debating and procrastinating for a long time. Most people (and they're probably right) will say that your chances are almost nil, so it might not be worth it. However, I figure that the answer is always no until you ask, and this way you won't ask 'what if' if you do get in. Good luck with it!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:22 am

if only you got that 180 :(
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HipHopAPotamus

New

Post by HipHopAPotamus » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 am

I'm borderline numbers wise at Vandy as well, but I'm filling it out anyways; I don't know if it they take your answers into account for regular admissions, but normally anything that gives the Adcomms more information about you is normally a good thing. From the amount of space they give you to answer the questions they're probably not expecting more that a detailed paragraph per question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LittleJenn

New

Post by LittleJenn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:26 am

Does anyone know if the application can be emailed in? It's getting kinda close to the deadline for me to trust snail mail...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:54 am

The LSAC instruction say the form cannot be submitted electronically. Priority mail will only cost you $4, and should get there 2 days after you send it (sorry AK and HI).

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:19 pm

I am also borderline at Vandy, but filled out the app anyway. It can't hurt, and maybe this way they can see I have a genuine interest in the school.

Amplified

New

Post by Amplified » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:35 pm

I was under the understanding that you only had to fill out that form if you wanted to apply for a full-tuition award. Correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

frissle

New

Post by frissle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:44 pm

Correct, all candidates are considered for merit scholarships but the various "Law Scholars Merit Awards" require the additional essays. What do we think if someone was already accepted but didn't express interest in the Law Scholars awards when application was submitted? Could essays/form still be sent in after the fact?

Amplified

New

Post by Amplified » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:49 pm

Cool cool. Thanks!

buckeyefan3

New

Post by buckeyefan3 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Craaaaap! I really want to/need to apply for all schollys available and I just realized this was due the 10th. I wonder if I have any chance of getting these answers done and sent in to Vandy in time!!!

matt.l.b

New

Post by matt.l.b » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:34 pm

Does anyone know how many of these are awarded? If it's only five it seems kind of futile, but it's hard for me to believe that there is only one Cheatham stipend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawyered

New

Post by Lawyered » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:51 pm

papatel

New

Post by papatel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:41 pm

I can't seem to download the form off the website. :cry: If anyone has a .pdf can they send me a copy?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm borderline numbers wise at Vandy as well, but I'm filling it out anyways; I don't know if it they take your answers into account for regular admissions, but normally anything that gives the Adcomms more information about you is normally a good thing. From the amount of space they give you to answer the questions they're probably not expecting more that a detailed paragraph per question.
I'm not near the top either, but I am pursuing the same strategy. I called them up today, and they told me they're not expecting any sort of length for these responses, though they only give space for a decent sized paragraph on the form. I'm not gonna worry too much about length, but I'm not going to get carried away.

tangential886

New

Post by tangential886 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:14 am

Does anyone know if there's a way to find information on the stats for past Law Scholars? I'm also very curious about whether or not I have a realistic chance...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

see18

New

Post by see18 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:10 am

Did everyone check on their application that they would apply for the rewards? I know I did, but I'm wondering now if it would hurt me if I don't submit them.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:08 am

see18 wrote:Did everyone check on their application that they would apply for the rewards? I know I did, but I'm wondering now if it would hurt me if I don't submit them.
I checked it, but honestly, I don't think it will matter.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:23 am

Where are you guys getting the information that the applications cannot be submitted electronically. I printed off a copy of the application and it says in the instructions "If you wish to generate responses by computer, please attach them to this form." I was going to scan it then email them the form and attachments. Now I think I read it wrong and they mean attach as in staple or paperclip.
BTW, I live in Hawaii, which means I am going to be mailing this first thing in the morning when FedEx opens if I can't email it.

see18

New

Post by see18 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 pm

MURPH wrote:Where are you guys getting the information that the applications cannot be submitted electronically. I printed off a copy of the application and it says in the instructions "If you wish to generate responses by computer, please attach them to this form." I was going to scan it then email them the form and attachments. Now I think I read it wrong and they mean attach as in staple or paperclip.
BTW, I live in Hawaii, which means I am going to be mailing this first thing in the morning when FedEx opens if I can't email it.

It says on the papers that if applicable the papers must be MAILED and received by 1/10. Also, on Vanderbilt's website you can download the forms, and they say the same thing. Also in the instructions on LSAC's website, the papers will NOT be submitted electronically and must be mailed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

annabell

New

Post by annabell » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Last edited by annabell on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 pm

We will make several full-tuition plus annual stipend awards valued at more than $150,000.00 over three years of study at Vanderbilt. Recipients are chosen on the basis of information contained in the application for admission and the Law Scholars Merit Award application, due January 10 (with the 10th falling on Sunday, we are treating Monday, January the 11th as a soft postmark deadline with a grace period to the 15th).
Received that email this morning from Vanderbilt.

hth

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Ive talked ot the adcomms several times about this.

The scholarship app is not reviewed by the adcomms - it is a seperate committee who may or may not see your entire application.
I was told to NOT attach it to the app but rather mail it or print it into a PDF file and attach it to an email (which is what Im doing).

As far as stats go Im sure the full schollys only go to the tippity top but there is one that adds $5000 to any need based grants/aid that may be up for grabs to a larger pool.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:14 pm

I actually emailed them about this a while ago (early October), and I got TWO replies (from two different Department Education Assistants).

My email:
"Hi,
The Law Scholars Merit Awards application is listed as a Supplemental
Form on LSAC, with instructions to mail the form in because it won't
be transmitted electronically. What is the best way to submit the form? I'm currently in [City, Country]
where snail mail is sometimes tricky, and I'm also submitting the rest
of my application electronically via LSAC. Would it be possible to
either email the form in as a scanned PDF, or attach it to my
application as an electronic attachment (like a personal statement,
resume, etc)?"

Reply #1: "Thank you for your e-mail. You may send the completed form via e-mail as an attachment. Please be sure to include your LSAC account number so we can match the form to your application."

and

Reply #2: "Thank you for your email and your interest in Vanderbilt University Law School. The due date is January 10, 2010. You may either mail it to the address listed below, fax it to the number listed below, or email it as a PDF to admissions@law.vanderbilt.edu"

I am abroad though, so I don't know if they were just being nice to me because of that. I'd definitely call and check, just in case.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”