advice appreciated as to what schools are realistic.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dempsey

advice appreciated as to what schools are realistic.

Postby dempsey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:50 am

somewhat atypical history. Originally attended a small liberal arts school. A drawn out career there, leaving after the first year on medical leave, returning after a semester off, then gradually flunking out. Accumulated nearly two years of credits. Took a year off, began a full time job, then started attending Hunter College (CUNY). Over the course of four years, while maintaining a full-time job, completed my education, graduating with a 3.77 Magna Cum Laude. Took the December Lsat, and scored a decent if not spectacular 163. Struggling to determine what is realistic for me. Have spoken with a few law professors, and they tell me that my reversal is obvious, and that I would be considered separately from the typical pool. Your thoughts?

considering:
University of Pittsburgh
Case-Western
Penn State
Uconn
University of Wisconsin
Tulane
Rutgers (Either one)
Lewis and Clark

dempsey

Re: advice appreciated as to what schools are realistic.

Postby dempsey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:24 am

anyone with any response?

ac1317

Postby ac1317 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:27 am

Ok, I'm not actually going to answer your question, and I don't feel bad about doing so since it's 3am and no one else is online to do so. But let me suggest this: with your shaky educational background, your LSAT is going to be extremely important. How much prep did you put into the LSAT? Cause if there's any way to raise it, I highly suggest doing so.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:33 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dempsey

Postby dempsey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 am

do not yet have the lsac gpa, but it will fall between a 2.8 and 3.0 in all likelihood. I left the original school on academic suspension, with about a 1.7 or so, then the year off, and the several years at Hunter with a 3.77 (which will actually be improved upon at Lsac because of more than a few A+'s).

dempsey

Postby dempsey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 am

so my hope is that with decent Lsat's (particularly relative to the schools I am applying, well exceed the seventy-fifth percentile for case wester, u pitt, penn state, santa clara), and four years of strong grades while working, I may be a competitive candidate. Should I set my sights lower?

cowsmoocanyou

Postby cowsmoocanyou » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 am

dempsey wrote:so my hope is that with decent Lsat's (particularly relative to the schools I am applying, well exceed the seventy-fifth percentile for case wester, u pitt, penn state, santa clara), and four years of strong grades while working, I may be a competitive candidate. Should I set my sights lower?

I think you might have a tough time with the academic suspension, imo.

kiwislug

Postby kiwislug » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 am

cowsmoocanyou wrote:
dempsey wrote:so my hope is that with decent Lsat's (particularly relative to the schools I am applying, well exceed the seventy-fifth percentile for case wester, u pitt, penn state, santa clara), and four years of strong grades while working, I may be a competitive candidate. Should I set my sights lower?

I disagree. OP shows a dramatic upward grade trend, so long as he applies to schools within range I think his chances will be as good as someone with the same ugpa who was not put on academic suspension. Law schools like it when you learn from your mistakes, write about it in your PS IMO.

dempsey

Postby dempsey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:36 am

yeah, that is entirely understandable. I am in no sense a traditional candidate. But what I have been told is that because the disparity is so great, and the record of accomplishment since pretty evident, along with an LSAT that is competitive, my earlier struggles will be forgiven.

cowsmoocanyou

Postby cowsmoocanyou » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:36 am

kiwislug wrote:
cowsmoocanyou wrote:

I disagree. OP shows a dramatic upward grade trend, so long as he applies to schools within range I think his chances will be as good as someone with the same ugpa who was not put on academic suspension. Law schools like it when you learn from your mistakes, write about it in your PS IMO.

True. Like most things, it's all in your packaging. All I'm saying is with your history, you really need to focus on selling yourself. GL!

dempsey

Postby dempsey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:42 am

yeah, the framing will be important. For what its worth, my recommendations are very strong. One, a lawyer herself as well as my professor, apparently wrote that I was the best student she has taught, etc. And, though I know many have struggled with far worse, I was pretty troubled (hence the original medical leave) and have matured tremendously, as immodest and self-pitying as that sounds.

dempsey

Postby dempsey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:55 am

also just wondering if there are schools I am missing that I should strongly consider

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:28 pm

dempsey wrote:somewhat atypical history. Originally attended a small liberal arts school. A drawn out career there, leaving after the first year on medical leave, returning after a semester off, then gradually flunking out. Accumulated nearly two years of credits. Took a year off, began a full time job, then started attending Hunter College (CUNY). Over the course of four years, while maintaining a full-time job, completed my education, graduating with a 3.77 Magna Cum Laude. Took the December Lsat, and scored a decent if not spectacular 163. Struggling to determine what is realistic for me. Have spoken with a few law professors, and they tell me that my reversal is obvious, and that I would be considered separately from the typical pool. Your thoughts?

considering:
University of Pittsburgh
Case-Western
Penn State
Uconn
University of Wisconsin
Tulane
Rutgers (Either one)
Lewis and Clark

I don't know how much your suspension will hurt you, but with a 2.8 and 163, I'd think you'd get into Rutgers or any school 75-100. They say a point on the LSAT in your territory is equal to a point in GPA so if the averages are 3.3 and 156 or so for these schools in general, you'd think a 2.8 and 163 will be =. I think you're realistic to apply to most of them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”