What is a good minor for a Pre-Law/Political Science Major?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tom Joad

Re: What is a good minor for a Pre-Law/Political Science Major?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:42 am

It'saPeaceLily wrote:If I could go back, I'd get my minor in neuroscience. Something really different from your major can really build an ability to "think outside the box."

Maybe you should drop PoliSci or Econ down to your minor (so you have an understanding of the material) then get a science BS. A BS is required for patent law and patent lawyers are in demand.

Well, I'm going to end up with a BS in Poli-Sci if everything plays out how I have it planned so does that mean I could practice patent law? Or do you need a BS in science?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:02 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackieTreehorn

Postby JackieTreehorn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:02 pm

Major in what you want to major in unless it's called "pre-law." Same goes for minor. Keep in mind that having minors and double-majors is entirely useless and only serves to limit the range of classes you can take outside of your major.

I majored in "government" and I'm doing fine this cycle.

dpw4040

Postby dpw4040 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Ancitter wrote:
mc89 wrote:
Ancitter wrote:
mc89 wrote:OK, I'll make sure I switch it to Political Science, it will be no change in coursework for me.

Also, while I have a lively and knowledgeable crowd to answer my questions....There is a Psychology class that I got a C in. Would it benefit me to retake it or will this not matter to law schools? Other than that C, so far everything is good.

It will be factored in and averaged no matter what.

So its basically worthless to do so.

I think the higher grade gets averaged too, but if you were thinking of making that C disappear, nah, it's not gonna happen. One C isn't a big deal, though. You'll be fine as long you keep getting As.

My school offers a course re-evaluation where the low grade, as long as it is retaken with the same professor, is then struck from your transcript.

If your school offers that then that's what I would do.

If its not on your transcript LSAC can't count it...right?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 pm

dpw4040 wrote:My school offers a course re-evaluation where the low grade, as long as it is retaken with the same professor, is then struck from your transcript.

If your school offers that then that's what I would do.

If its not on your transcript LSAC can't count it...right?

Right, but it has to be completely gone. It can't be in parentheses next to the later grade, it can't be in audited classes, etc. It's awesome if your UG actually does this but very few do.

To the OP: change the pre-law, minor in something you are actually interested in and would get good grades in, and don't worry about that one C. One single grade in your UG career has almost no impact on your final GPA (less than .02 for a C).

dpw4040

Postby dpw4040 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:35 pm

The guy at the registrars office said it would then be "taken off your transcript".

I'll go in there one more time next semester to be clear. That is the whole reason I am retaking one class.

Had a car wreck one semester blah blah blah

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:54 pm

dpw4040 wrote:The guy at the registrars office said it would then be "taken off your transcript".

I'll go in there one more time next semester to be clear. That is the whole reason I am retaking one class.

Had a car wreck one semester blah blah blah

Even if it isn't completely taken off an addendum and a good grade in the retake will still work wonders. Good luck.

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:46 pm

JJim1919 wrote:While I don't know how much it would hurt you, I would not do a pre-law major. One, it doesnt look good to law schools (they want diversity and they dont want undergrad kids learning the law), and two what if law school doesnt work out? get a real degree at least.

I work as a paralegal, and if I do not go to law school, I wanted a degree that would also compliment my paralegal certificate. I chose political science, and it does show on my transcript that I am taking a pre-law approach. My minor is in women's studies which I realize may seem off the wall, but its something I have an interest in, and while it may not be impressive, it may show diversity. (atleast I hope)

mc89

Postby mc89 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:01 am

I took some time to consider the advice you guys gave me and I think I'm going to go ahead with a Business or Finance major and go with Political Science for my minor. At least now I don't have to go through the hell of taking a foreign language.

prelawyer078

Postby prelawyer078 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:21 am

ezpar wrote:you should study what you enjoy. don't pick a major/minor because you think it will look good on a law school application. the easiest way to do well is to study something that genuinely interests you.

TITCR. Major and minor in what you WANT. First of all, doing what you love could potentially be good fodder for a PS, for related extracurricular stuff, for a undergrad thesis, etc. Law schools want a diversity of majors and thought; so try to represent the area that you think you can best represent.

mc89 wrote:I took some time to consider the advice you guys gave me and I think I'm going to go ahead with a Business or Finance major and go with Political Science for my minor. At least now I don't have to go through the hell of taking a foreign language.

Ehh...is it because you like business? Law schools sometimes frown upon vocational majors, unless you have years of solid WE after. "Thinking fields" are preferred, such as econ, math, philosophy, etc.

mc89

Postby mc89 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:20 am

If I had to pick something that I like second to Poli Sci, it would be Business. I understand what your saying about "vocational" majors, but I want some sort of Plan B just in case Law School doesn't work out. Oh and I'm not shooting for Harvard, more like OSU.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Go with an electrical engineering major! You won't want to kill yourself after four years, I promise! :P (OK, maybe you are not as crazy as I am... I honestly have been enjoying it though)

You are gonna be fine. Once that Pre-Law is gone, you should be golden with any other major. So long as you are picking it because you enjoy it, I say more power to you.

prelawyer078

Postby prelawyer078 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:53 pm

mc89 wrote:If I had to pick something that I like second to Poli Sci, it would be Business. I understand what your saying about "vocational" majors, but I want some sort of Plan B just in case Law School doesn't work out. Oh and I'm not shooting for Harvard, more like OSU.

Well of course it's ultimately up to you.:) Take a business class or two and see if you like it, although personally I've known very few people who enjoy business school. They simply take the classes for the jobs, and at my school (which has a poor business program), you really don't learn one interesting thing in business.

If you interested in finance-like things, I think economics might interest you. In fields such as econ, psychology, etc., you find that the students often love what they're doing. Another good thing about econ is that, if you have a good internship during school and some accounting classes, you can still have that Plan B.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:36 pm

Equine management

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Maybe something more analytical like statistics or economics? Do you know what area of law you would like to specialize?

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:57 pm

I've never heard of a pre-law major. In fact, I've been told there is no such thing. I'm a Poli Sci major and Moral and Political Philosophy minor. Do whatever interests you and you think will benefit your future job prospects if you decide law inside for you. Econ seems like a good choice, but I don't like it personally. I chose my course of path b/c initially I was planning on getting a Phd but I decided it wasn't for me. There are no pre req majors or classes really for law school. I took a Philosophy of Law class and a Civil liberties class this semester and found it useless. Interesting but useless for all law school purposes. Most of these profs. don't have JDs or any formal legal training so they don't really understand the law the way law schools are going to teach it. It's not like med school where you're expected to have taken Bio-Chem, Orgo, etc.

sluggo

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:16 pm

your gpa is the most important thing re: admissions

after that do what you like

as for the lsat, and just law school in general, i think youd be well served by philosophy as a minor

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:19 pm

It depends on what interests you, but a lot of my classmates minored in Economics. I minored in history.

LT387

Postby LT387 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:49 pm

The majority of the attorneys I meet tell me to take more English courses. Many of them regret not taking any in undergrad. They said it would have help more with the PS and in law school. I remember one of the attorneys saying how her UF professor laughed when many of them did not have an English major. Unfortunately, the bastard told me this when it was too late.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Philosophy.

santdani

Postby santdani » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:45 pm

MATH!!!

mc89

Postby mc89 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:43 pm

You mention English courses, how about Journalism?

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 am

at my UG school all prelaw meant was that you checked a box on an application. It was not a major, or anything really. No extra classes, requirements, or responsibilities. Just a box. I studied history for my major, and minored in german. study something you are interested in.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:45 am

English, while useless enough as a major, is better than Journalism these days because the future of Journalism is yet to be seen. English will at least open you up to potentially take any job requiring a degree and written communication skills. (Says the English major)

clem21

Postby clem21 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:36 pm

mc89 wrote:You mention English courses, how about Journalism?

I was a journalism minor. More fun than you'd think and it really helps your writing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”