GPA bombed due to first year, high LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jujitsudude

New

GPA bombed due to first year, high LSAT

Postby jujitsudude » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a sophomore in my program and I know it's kind of early to post since it's so early in my undergrad but I want to see what you guys think. I started out in a hardcore science program at one of Canada's top universities. I was offered a chance to play semi-professional sports overseas (alongside Olympians, including a former world number one) that year and squandered my GPA. Since coming back and realizing what I did wrong, I switched programs (into philosophy/religion) and my GPA has risen steadily. The year after the "year from hell," I got a 2.9 GPA. This year, if things go as planned, I should be able to pull a 3.7 or 3.8.

In terms of work experience, I volunteered in a criminal defense law firm (and have attended many trials), I am Managing Editor of a new medsci newsletter/mini-journal, and I am still very active in competitive sports. I have published before and I currently have a paper in review for an undergraduate philosophy journal. I volunteer at a soup kitchen and I spearheaded an online fundraiser last year for a local organization. I am also thinking of attending any Ivy league summer school program (ie. Harvard, Stanford) this summer. In terms of other work I will be doing, I am highly considering going to the Dominican for two weeks this summer to volunteer there.

I've got great references and I am prepared to explain my situation on the Personal Statement.

I've done a few practice LSATs and I am scoring very well. I think a score over 175 is realistic for me as I did quite well on a mock LSAT. If I continue my trend in grades, I'll end up with a final undergrad GPA of 3.1 to 3.2.

What schools do you guys think will be realistic (assuming I can pay for the high tuition)? I like appeals law very much and if I don't get into a top 20 school, I'd probably transfer after first year law (provided I get great grades).

Look forward to your advice. Thanks very much in advance. :)

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: GPA bombed due to first year, high LSAT

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:42 pm

jujitsudude wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a sophomore in my program and I know it's kind of early to post since it's so early in my undergrad but I want to see what you guys think. I started out in a hardcore science program at one of Canada's top universities. I was offered a chance to play semi-professional sports overseas (alongside Olympians, including a former world number one) that year and squandered my GPA. Since coming back and realizing what I did wrong, I switched programs (into philosophy/religion) and my GPA has risen steadily. The year after the "year from hell," I got a 2.9 GPA. This year, if things go as planned, I should be able to pull a 3.7 or 3.8.

In terms of work experience, I volunteered in a criminal defense law firm (and have attended many trials), I am Managing Editor of a new medsci newsletter/mini-journal, and I am still very active in competitive sports. I have published before and I currently have a paper in review for an undergraduate philosophy journal. I volunteer at a soup kitchen and I spearheaded an online fundraiser last year for a local organization. I am also thinking of attending any Ivy league summer school program (ie. Harvard, Stanford) this summer. In terms of other work I will be doing, I am highly considering going to the Dominican for two weeks this summer to volunteer there.

I've got great references and I am prepared to explain my situation on the Personal Statement.

I've done a few practice LSATs and I am scoring very well. I think a score over 175 is realistic for me as I did quite well on a mock LSAT. If I continue my trend in grades, I'll end up with a final undergrad GPA of 3.1 to 3.2.

What schools do you guys think will be realistic (assuming I can pay for the high tuition)? I like appeals law very much and if I don't get into a top 20 school, I'd probably transfer after first year law (provided I get great grades).

Look forward to your advice. Thanks very much in advance. :)
If you can get a score over 170, you'll probably have luck applying to UVA ED or Northwestern.

Diamond

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Nobody advises mid 2000 era 0Ls like you brah.

doyleoil

Silver

Postby doyleoil » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Kinda makes me sad that it took four years for this (obviously nice) dude to get a response. :(

Sentry

Silver

Postby Sentry » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:22 pm

If he took/is taking a few years off between UG and LS he still might be able to use this thread. I'll PM him and let him know!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�