Law School Predictor: The Thread"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Re: Law School Predictor: Version 3.0 "The" Thread

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:41 pm

stuffystuff wrote:I personally would prefer more pessimism for the splitters, particularly the extreme splitters. I'm not a fan of false optimism

Although, all of the calculators point me to a few schools that I am deeply interested in which I suppose is promising.

Or you could just use LSN and LSAC data to get a more accurate read on predictions for splitters.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
stuffystuff wrote:I personally would prefer more pessimism for the splitters, particularly the extreme splitters. I'm not a fan of false optimism

Although, all of the calculators point me to a few schools that I am deeply interested in which I suppose is promising.

Or you could just use LSN and LSAC data to get a more accurate read on predictions for splitters.

It's extremely hard for me to find people with same numbers as me (158/3.95) and that applied to the same schools and are not URM. You may be right that LSN is accurate, but it's useless if I can't find what I'm looking for.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:00 pm

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:25 pm

YCrevolution wrote:

Actually, for the really extreme splitters (about 1/1000 law school applicants), the predictions are way too pessimistic (this was a tradeoff to make the predictions more accurate for the 99.9% of people who this didn't apply to).

So does that include me in the pessimism even though I am an extreme reverse splitter (158/3.95)

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:36 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Actually, for the really extreme splitters (about 1/1000 law school applicants), the predictions are way too pessimistic (this was a tradeoff to make the predictions more accurate for the 99.9% of people who this didn't apply to).

So does that include me in the pessimism even though I am an extreme reverse splitter (158/3.95)

That's only for traditional splitters... and by extreme for traditional splitters, I'm talking something like a 172/2.6.

So are you saying that when it tells me "strongly consider" for fordham part time, it is too optimistic?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm

lawfreak wrote:It's extremely hard for me to find people with same numbers as me (158/3.95) and that applied to the same schools and are not URM. You may be right that LSN is accurate, but it's useless if I can't find what I'm looking for.

LSP is going to give you (somebody with rare numbers) an even worse time than LSN.

ETA: Unless you are looking for extremely odd schools (i.e. lower schools for scholarship $), how is this list not helpful? http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:49 pm

bk1 wrote:
lawfreak wrote:It's extremely hard for me to find people with same numbers as me (158/3.95) and that applied to the same schools and are not URM. You may be right that LSN is accurate, but it's useless if I can't find what I'm looking for.

LSP is going to give you (somebody with rare numbers) an even worse time than LSN.

ETA: Unless you are looking for extremely odd schools (i.e. lower schools for scholarship $), how is this list not helpful? http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

It's not helpful because of the only 3 people with my LSAT score on that list, 1 of them didn't apply to any school that I did. the other has no schools listed, and the 3rd guy has a different GPA and he's a URM and only applied to Fordham full time so that doesn;t either help me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:57 pm

lawfreak wrote:It's not helpful because of the only 3 people with my LSAT score on that list, 1 of them didn't apply to any school that I did. the other has no schools listed, and the 3rd guy has a different GPA and he's a URM and only applied to Fordham full time so that doesn;t either help me.

Oh my mistake, I read your original statement as "URM" rather than "not URM." The link I put was just URM's. With that info the list is even longer: http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

You do realize you can look at people with LSAT scores near yours (e.g. 157 and 159)?

What I would take away from looking at that data is that with a sub-160, you are unlikely to manage most of the T1 (except the schools with looser reqs), but can probably get some money the T2 schools who are generous but I would say most T2 schools are a green light.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 pm

lawfreak wrote:
bk1 wrote:

It's not helpful because of the only 3 people with my LSAT score on that list, 1 of them didn't apply to any school that I did. the other has no schools listed, and the 3rd guy has a different GPA and he's a URM and only applied to Fordham full time so that doesn;t either help me.

Check out the decisions graphs on LSAC's school detailed information page. While it might be for a wide range you get a much better idea than LSN.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:30 pm

lawfreak wrote: So are you saying that when it tells me "strongly consider" for fordham part time, it is too optimistic?

I think the PT predictor is a little optimistic right now because it hasn't been updated since many places cut down their PT programs due to the new USNWR methods.

With that said, I was "strong consider" at GW PT and I was accepted pretty quickly. I was "weak consider" at GULC ED PT and got dinged.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks guys!

stuffystuff

Postby stuffystuff » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:02 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

That's only for traditional splitters... and by extreme for traditional splitters, I'm talking something like a 172/2.6.

I suppose I should redefine my idea of extreme, because I guess mine is more mild.

I was talking mid-high 170s and 3.0-3.2 folks.

How substantial is the negative boost for those individuals?

phx

Postby phx » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:10 am

Should we be expecting a new version incorporating the new LSN data to be released around the same time as last year's (late June)?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:24 pm

phx

Postby phx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 am

YCrevolution wrote:
phx wrote:Should we be expecting a new version incorporating the new LSN data to be released around the same time as last year's (late June)?

Possibly. I unfortunately have a 40+ hours-a-week commitment to something else this summer, but I will try and get some of the stuff updated.* Also looking into making a Flash version of it. I also want to release the state residency feature for at least the top 100 schools at the same time.

*My Internet this summer is also very slow (2x to 3x dial-up speeds).

Awesome, thanks for the update. And thanks for all the time you put into the tool.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 pm

<5% Auto-Deny at Rutgers-Camden... but got in with a scholarship. Gotta love being a wildcard.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:02 pm

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:September 04, 2011 - Version 3.4 of Law School Predictor is now live, with an updated prediction engine now available for all full-time law school programs. There are updated rankings, LSAT, and GPA data... special thanks to our volunteer for helping update the data.

Also: As of September 2011, Law School Predictor became a project of Real World Machine LLC.

I'm still considering converting the prediction engines to being Flash-based. The whole thing would probably run a bit faster.

Good luck on your most recent venture.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:03 pm

YCrevolution

Re: Law School Predictor: Version 3.4 "The Thread"

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:39 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:05 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:51 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:39 pm

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:44 pm

YCrevolution wrote:For those thinking about business school:

I am pleased to announce that the first public beta version of MBA Predictor has just been released. For those of you familiar with Law School Predictor, MBA Predictor is a similar prediction engine for business school applicants.

MBA Predictor predicts and calculates your chances of being admitted to over 140 full-time MBA programs and over 90 part-time MBA programs in the United States of America. MBAP calculates your probability of admission by taking into account your GMAT score, your undergraduate GPA, and your years of prior working experience. MBAP also factors in the full-time and part-time MBA program acceptance rates at business schools, their GMAT average / 10% / 90% scores, their average / 10% / 90% undergraduate GPA, and average work experience in determining your chances. Since the prediction engine is still in beta (as of 02 January 2012), the prediction algorithms may be adjusted over the upcoming months.

Like Law School Predictor, MBA Predictor is free to use, and no registration is required.

Is BSchool really that easy to get into? I translated my LSAT score to GMAT and it has me at consider with one year of WE and an OKish gpa

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”