Law School Predictor: The Thread" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawlover829

Bronze

Re: Law School Predictor Version 2.0

Post by lawlover829 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:12 pm

thank you :P

realworldescapee

New

Post by realworldescapee » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:29 pm

Great Program: I plugged in my stats (currently prospective) and five friends who are now in law school and it was 22 for 23.

Some points to improve on:

I've had my browser crash on me when I try and change the GPA before the 160/0.00 completely loads. A warning to let the page fully load should be added to help prevent this from occurring. The issue has happened multiple times. I use the latest version of Firefox and and the latest version of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (should it matter).

I'd also reorganize the columns with the more applicant desirable stats to the left. Maybe I'm wrong, but I personally don't care (in the grand scheme of things) what a school's LSAT/GPA ratio is. I do care what my index score is, what the 25th, 50th and 75th percentile scores and how far my index score is from the aforementioned percentiles. I'd personally arrange the columns (after city) as follows: Score, From Mid, From 25, 25th score, median score, 75th score, %+/-, You %, Mid %, From 75, From Perfect, LSAT/GPA ratio, raw data for LSAT and GPA. IMO it organizes the info with categories.

A little nitpicky, but awesome program.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:39 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:25 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:18 am

If only it were accurate. Admit at NYU? Strong consider at Columbia? If only. Nice program, though. It was right from everything Chicago and down.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Re: Law School Predictor Version 2.1

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:54 am

UIUC places a lot of emphasis on the GPA...most people with my stats were either admitted or WL. Maybe tweak that a bit?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:10 pm

FjornF

New

Post by FjornF » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Excellent program, I am sure this will save many people alot of time.

A couple of thoughts:
1. Create a normalized score column. Maybe something like 0 if score is less than 25th, 1 if above 75th (corresponding to deny/admit) and then linear in between. This would be alot more useful than "strong/weak" considers.

2. Release the XLSX file. Yes someone could repost it to their site, or whatever, but now that you are first to post and have the backing of TLS I think it is pretty safe. Being protective of the source only obscures its accuracy and usefulness.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MlhopeTC

New

Post by MlhopeTC » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:31 pm

This thing is great, thanks for your work!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 am

bakemono

New

Post by bakemono » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:07 am

besides being a bit pessimistic about splitters with low GPA and high LSAT, it's the most functional and accurate predictor thus far. I haven't even applied yet, but I've looked at the stats religiously, and this seems to have great application. Your nerdiness is MUCHO appreciated.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:45 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Top-Notch

New

Post by Top-Notch » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Not very accurate from what I can tell.

YCrevolution

Gold

Re: Law School Predictor Version 2.2

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:07 pm

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm a weak splitter, but I definitely noticed a difference in predictions (Michigan and Duke moving up to "admit" status and UVA moving up to "strongly consider" status). I'm really hoping the newest formula is better than the old one (purely out of self-interest).

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

realworldescapee

New

Re: Law School Predictor Version 2.2 - Published June 24, 2009

Post by realworldescapee » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:36 pm

YCrev,

Someone pointed this out to me after they toyed around with the median numbers and index formulas, and noticed that if you entered the median LSAT/GPA numbers they don't match up with the 50th percentile index score. For instance they had a 163/3.65 stats and were given an index score above the 50th percentile or UIUC. But from my general impression, they would be a weak consider at this school. True the GPA is on the higher end of the school, but the LSAT is close to the 25th percentile and 3 points below the median. Moreover, if you input Illinois median GPA/LSAT numbers, into the index formula, that score is higher than your stated median index score. I didn't have an answer to the question why the UIUC median socres resulted in a higher 50th percentile index score than you reported. So i'm wondering what the explanation is for this result. Personally, I wouldn't have given them a weak chance at UIUC given the LSAT score.

UIUC fyi was just one school that they gave me that this occurred with.

Thanks

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:51 pm

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Hey ycrev!!

Hopefully you'll see a bump in site activity. We've been pushing it in the LSAT score thread. It really is, imho, the cream of the crop for admitting data and how it's presented.

Thanks again for all of your hard work.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:35 pm

Thanks Evan, it is looking great!!

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:45 am

wow, this is cool, it's picked up my spirits a bit after receiving a somewhat disappointing LSAT score. Thanks for all the work!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:53 am

Ken wrote:Thanks Evan, it is looking great!!
Agreed, I've recently become addicted in predicting my future admissions cycle. I've formed a spreadsheet comprised of schools I like as far as their location and environment, coupled with possible LSAT/GPA combinations, and charted my likelihood of admission depending on how I perform my junior year and on the LSAT. Call me a dork, but I like to know what to aim for and what my options are:

--ImageRemoved--

FjornF

New

Post by FjornF » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:09 am

YCrevolution wrote:
FjornF wrote:Excellent program, I am sure this will save many people alot of time.

A couple of thoughts:
1. Create a normalized score column. Maybe something like 0 if score is less than 25th, 1 if above 75th (corresponding to deny/admit) and then linear in between. This would be alot more useful than "strong/weak" considers.

2. Release the XLSX file. Yes someone could repost it to their site, or whatever, but now that you are first to post and have the backing of TLS I think it is pretty safe. Being protective of the source only obscures its accuracy and usefulness.
1. I'll look into it. I know of a couple others who expressed a similar wish although there are others that also didn't want a prediction that involved numbers. If I implement it, I'll probably put it alongside the textual predictions.

Users can also see how far away they are from 25/75 right now. I hesistate slightly to quantify the prediction which would suggest a precision that probably isn't there. I'd also need to figure out a way to present it so that people don't misinterpret the predictive number.

2. I don't maintain a master XLS file anymore (unlike previous versions, instead I have multiple files, which aren't nearly as structured as the HTML files), but I understand what you're saying. The method(s) used to calculate the predictions is already there basically (in the About page) and the published admission index formulas can be found on the LSAC website. I can publish the formulas separately on the website sometime if people want to see them. I don't include them right now in the spreadsheet just because it slows down loading times, and most people don't seem to care what the formula is.

In the meantime, I'm (slowly) considering the logisitics of a beta-testing program where qualified TLS forum members will get advance access to new versions of Law School Predictor (in XLS and HTML format), and then can provide feedback and point out any errors. I think I'd be looking for people who have been on TLS "a while" and who have a large number of posts or have already contributed some significant time/energy to helping me develop Law School Predictor.

Awesome, it is exciting to see the rate at which you are improving this thing. It really is a wonderful resource. Hope that facebook advertising works out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”