Law School Predictor: The Thread" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
YCrevolution

Gold

Re: Law School Predictor: Version 3.4 "The Thread"

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:58 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:For those thinking about business school:

I am pleased to announce that the first public beta version of MBA Predictor has just been released. For those of you familiar with Law School Predictor, MBA Predictor is a similar prediction engine for business school applicants.

MBA Predictor predicts and calculates your chances of being admitted to over 140 full-time MBA programs and over 90 part-time MBA programs in the United States of America. MBAP calculates your probability of admission by taking into account your GMAT score, your undergraduate GPA, and your years of prior working experience. MBAP also factors in the full-time and part-time MBA program acceptance rates at business schools, their GMAT average / 10% / 90% scores, their average / 10% / 90% undergraduate GPA, and average work experience in determining your chances. Since the prediction engine is still in beta (as of 02 January 2012), the prediction algorithms may be adjusted over the upcoming months.

Like Law School Predictor, MBA Predictor is free to use, and no registration is required.
Is BSchool really that easy to get into? I translated my LSAT score to GMAT and it has me at consider with one year of WE and an OKish gpa
Jam, how did you translate your LSAT into a rough GMAT score?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

I am pleased to announce that the first public beta version of MBA Predictor has just been released. For those of you familiar with Law School Predictor, MBA Predictor is a similar prediction engine for business school applicants.

MBA Predictor predicts and calculates your chances of being admitted to over 140 full-time MBA programs and over 90 part-time MBA programs in the United States of America. MBAP calculates your probability of admission by taking into account your GMAT score, your undergraduate GPA, and your years of prior working experience. MBAP also factors in the full-time and part-time MBA program acceptance rates at business schools, their GMAT average / 10% / 90% scores, their average / 10% / 90% undergraduate GPA, and average work experience in determining your chances. Since the prediction engine is still in beta (as of 02 January 2012), the prediction algorithms may be adjusted over the upcoming months.

Like Law School Predictor, MBA Predictor is free to use, and no registration is required.
Is BSchool really that easy to get into? I translated my LSAT score to GMAT and it has me at consider with one year of WE and an OKish gpa
Jam, how did you translate your LSAT into a rough GMAT score?
take off the 1, add a zero to the end.

Not that it means anything whatsoever

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Gracias.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

My first assumption would be that the LSAT is not at all translatable to a GMAT. Someone that gets a 180 on an LSAT could very well only get an average score on the GMAT. They seem pretty different.

And BSchools actually take a lot more into consideration from what I've heard. For example, if I could only score 172 I could probably get into the t-14. I was told that even if I scored 730 on the GMAT, even with two or three years of WE, I will never crack the top with my TTT undergrad.

GMAT is probably more closely related to SAT/ACT score than LSAT. Maybe those have high correlation? I don't know though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Isn't the LSAT the hardest standardized test, GMAT is way easier? :lol:

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Isn't the LSAT the hardest standardized test, GMAT is way easier? :lol:
depends on the person. I would never get a 99%ile score on the MCAT. hell, I wouldn't get a median score even if I had taken every pre-med class possible

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Last edited by lsatcrazy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 pm

YCrevolution wrote:September 04, 2011 - Version 3.4 of Law School Predictor is now live, with an updated prediction engine now available for all full-time law school programs. There are updated rankings, LSAT, and GPA data ... special thanks to our volunteer for helping update the data.

Also: As of September 2011, Law School Predictor became a project of Real World Machine LLC.

If you're thinking about alternatives to law school, check out MBA Predictor (public beta now available) and Med School Predictor (under development with release scheduled for Q1 of 2012).

How was this last updated in 2009, but say "September 04, 2001"?? Confused.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 pm

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:172 LSAT, 760 GMAT here. Very different exams, not really comparable.
yeah, I think I'd do pretty well on a lot of it, but the math would murder me. I haven't seen math since my freshman year

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:September 04, 2011 - Version 3.4 of Law School Predictor is now live, with an updated prediction engine now available for all full-time law school programs. There are updated rankings, LSAT, and GPA data ... special thanks to our volunteer for helping update the data.

Also: As of September 2011, Law School Predictor became a project of Real World Machine LLC.

If you're thinking about alternatives to law school, check out MBA Predictor (public beta now available) and Med School Predictor (under development with release scheduled for Q1 of 2012).

How was this last updated in 2009, but say "September 04, 2001"?? Confused.
(Assuming you mean 2011 and not 2001....)

Back at that point in 2009, I was not a moderator/administrator on TLS. Once you become a moderator/administrator, you can edit posts without it leaving the editing notice (it also stops counting the number of edits and most recent edit date/time at that point).
Oops, yeah I meant 2011. Thanks for letting me know. I was scratching my head and was sure I was stupid or something. Makes sense now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:48 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:172 LSAT, 760 GMAT here. Very different exams, not really comparable.
yeah, I think I'd do pretty well on a lot of it, but the math would murder me. I haven't seen math since my freshman year
99th percentile verbal, 51st percentile math for me. Retake would have been in order if I'd stayed on that path.

A couple questions about the predictor:

1) Is there a penalty for being too far over the average number of years of work experience?

2) Aren't business school admissions less numbers based than those of law school?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:09 am

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:02 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:30 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you to the creators of this program
I applied to 19 schools all over the T50 - ranging from acceptance percentages (according to LSP) of <5% to almost 70%
With one outlier I was accepted to all schools where I had a 50% chance or higher and straight dinged at all schools where I had a 39% or lower. The outlier was UIUC which shows a 39% chance for me and is probably going to be a little bit of a wildcard this cycle for everyone. I did apply to one school with 40 - 49% chance (WUSTL). I have not heard back, but WUSTL will probably also be a ding.
I am a non-URM 165/3.4 with 10 years of non-prestigious, management and sales WE

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:40 am

For work experience in LSP, I just added a 1-2 points on the GPA. I heard work experience distances you somewhat from the GPA, but not so much LSAT. It gave me a few more weak considers. I know certain schools care about WE more than others. In any case, I'm sure it amounts to wishful thinking. I'm not going to get too optimistic.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:35 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:24 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:20 pm