Law School Predictor: The Thread" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
angiej

Silver

Re: Law School Predictor: Version 3.0 "The" Thread

Post by angiej » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:28 pm

When will the 3.0 versions of part-time and non-100 ranked schools be available? I'm super eager for the part-time version!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:37 pm

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:38 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
angiej wrote:When will the 3.0 versions of part-time and non-100 ranked schools be available? I'm super eager for the part-time version!
It was going to be today. Unfortunately, we had a big storm hit Charlottesville last night and my apartment is still without power. I'm at a place with power now, but the most recent file I need is on my computer (at my apartment, which won't turn on without electricity). :(

So I'll probably try and get it out early next week. The only thing they need is updated USNWR data.
Sorry to hear your without power - hope it will be up soon.

kwu

New

Post by kwu » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:55 am

Law School Predictor: iPhone Version?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:27 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nola

New

Post by Nola » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:50 pm

How reliable is this thing? URM seems like a wildcard if your not AA, Mex Amer, or Puerto Rican. Does everyone feel this is a good tool to base your application decisions on?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:55 pm

angiej wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
angiej wrote:When will the 3.0 versions of part-time and non-100 ranked schools be available? I'm super eager for the part-time version!
It was going to be today. Unfortunately, we had a big storm hit Charlottesville last night and my apartment is still without power. I'm at a place with power now, but the most recent file I need is on my computer (at my apartment, which won't turn on without electricity). :(

So I'll probably try and get it out early next week. The only thing they need is updated USNWR data.
Sorry to hear your without power - hope it will be up soon.
grrr . . .how much longer? Oh the suspense!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Nola

New

Post by Nola » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:58 pm

If you are considered Mex-American, do you get the full URM boost. In other words, I found out that I do have Mexican blood in my veins. So is using the URM option in the predictor accurate for me?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:47 pm

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:03 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I broke LSP. :(

Sort of. At any rate, some of the predictions for v3.0 unranked full-time and all part-time programs seem rather odd right now. I think I might know why (I fiddled with a formula that I shouldn't have), but I'll try and fix it.
If it says I'm an admit at georgetown we will know for certain there is a problem. :wink:

gdh

New

Post by gdh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Can anyone confirm if the USNWR data used for the Law School Predictor matches up with the most newly released ABA law school data (under the school list section of LSAC)?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:04 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 am

YCrevolution wrote:With some luck, all Law School Predictor datasets (top 100 schools, unranked, and PT) should be updated to Version 3.0 or 3.1 (updated index formulas) by the end of this weekend.
Will the state residency feature be working too?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 am

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 am

Are you working towards implementing predictions for Canadian law schools? It might be far from accurate due to Canadian law schools not being as numbered based, but I think it would still be a welcome addition. If you need some insight to the Canadian law schools I'd be willing to help out (as would a few others on the Canadian law school forum).

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:35 am

Nightrunner wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:Are you working towards implementing predictions for Canadian law schools? It might be far from accurate due to Canadian law schools not being as numbered based, but I think it would still be a welcome addition. If you need some insight to the Canadian law schools I'd be willing to help out (as would a few others on the Canadian law school forum).
That is a good idea, but I'm not sure it would work. I'll definitely defer to one of our more mathematically-inclined persons, but my gut feeling is that the sample size provided on LSN is not large enough to do a valid regression.
You might consider using data from admissions and rejections threads on http://www.lawstudents.ca/forums/ as it would provide admissions data from the last 5 years or so.

If Canadian schools were to be added though, you would need to employ the services of somebody who knows Canada very well. For instance, people every year get rejected from Windsor/Ottawa with high 170s and great GPAs but are accepted on the first day at other schools. It's actually quite wierd. But if you know the system, it's possible to predict it with reasonable accuracy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:52 pm

I think the beauty of LSN is the data is all right there, no digging manually through a fourm....

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:05 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Law School Predictor should be updated to Version 3.1 or 3.2 before publication of LSAT scores. I've finally got a break coming up and I anticipate less than 12 hours of further work to complete the newest version. Formulas will be updated and data used will be updated. This will affect predictions for all FT and PT programs.

Currently still testing state residency feature. I'm also looking into adding Canadian law schools.
You are el awesome.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:10 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Law School Predictor should be updated to Version 3.1 or 3.2 before publication of LSAT scores. I've finally got a break coming up and I anticipate less than 12 hours of further work to complete the newest version. Formulas will be updated and data used will be updated. This will affect predictions for all FT and PT programs.

Currently still testing state residency feature. I'm also looking into adding Canadian law schools.
12 hours? Awesome!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:28 am

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:05 pm

I really appreciate all the hard work put into this site, but does it really make sense that someone with a 158/3.95 should be a "strong consider" at Fordham p/t, when the medians are a couple of lsat points above that?

Thanks!

stuffystuff

New

Post by stuffystuff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 pm

I personally would prefer more pessimism for the splitters, particularly the extreme splitters. I'm not a fan of false optimism

Although, all of the calculators point me to a few schools that I am deeply interested in which I suppose is promising.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:38 pm

stuffystuff wrote:I personally would prefer more pessimism for the splitters, particularly the extreme splitters. I'm not a fan of false optimism

Although, all of the calculators point me to a few schools that I am deeply interested in which I suppose is promising.
There needs to be a "like" button

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”