Michigan Essays

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
snowoman
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Michigan Essays

Postby snowoman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:35 pm

So in addition to the Personal Statement, Michigan gives applicants the opportunity to write optional essays, as many of you know. I'm writing the Why Michigan essay, of course, since everyone says it's pretty mandatory... but need help deciding whether I should write another.

The application says, "If you wish, write one or two essays (but no more)" and then lists the options. Michigan is a definite reach for me. Should I include another essay? None are very appealing, except maybe Essay 7 (how will your perspectives enrich the intellectual life @ mich and in the legal profession) but it seems this might overlap with the Why Michigan Essay a bit (because Why Michigan also asks what you will contribute.)

Should I force the second essay or forget it? Any other Michigan applicants want to share their choices?

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby legends159 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:36 pm

snowoman wrote:So in addition to the Personal Statement, Michigan gives applicants the opportunity to write optional essays, as many of you know. I'm writing the Why Michigan essay, of course, since everyone says it's pretty mandatory... but need help deciding whether I should write another.

The application says, "If you wish, write one or two essays (but no more)" and then lists the options. Michigan is a definite reach for me. Should I include another essay? None are very appealing, except maybe Essay 7 (how will your perspectives enrich the intellectual life @ mich and in the legal profession) but it seems this might overlap with the Why Michigan Essay a bit (because Why Michigan also asks what you will contribute.)

Should I force the second essay or forget it? Any other Michigan applicants want to share their choices?


second essay can be DS. Otherwise it's not necessary

snowoman
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby snowoman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:54 pm

legends159 wrote:second essay can be DS. Otherwise it's not necessary


Yeah, thanks.. agreed. I'm just worried about overlap w/ the Why Michigan essay since I'll be discussing diversity and how I'll contribute to it in both. I guess I can just cut that part down in the Why Michigan, though.

Anyone else? C'mon I know there are plenty of you Michigan hopefuls out there!

User avatar
Sanchez
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby Sanchez » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:56 pm

snowoman wrote:So in addition to the Personal Statement, Michigan gives applicants the opportunity to write optional essays, as many of you know. I'm writing the Why Michigan essay, of course, since everyone says it's pretty mandatory... but need help deciding whether I should write another.

The application says, "If you wish, write one or two essays (but no more)" and then lists the options. Michigan is a definite reach for me. Should I include another essay? None are very appealing, except maybe Essay 7 (how will your perspectives enrich the intellectual life @ mich and in the legal profession) but it seems this might overlap with the Why Michigan Essay a bit (because Why Michigan also asks what you will contribute.)

Should I force the second essay or forget it? Any other Michigan applicants want to share their choices?


I'm in with 3.5 / 169 and no additional essay.

You shouldn't write something just because they give you the option. Wasting the adcom's time by submitting something forced will probably reflect more poorly on you than just submitting sans additional essay.

Ultimately, if you end up writing an additional essay (which obviously isn't a prerequisite for admission - or even guaranteed to help your chances), it should be every bit as good as your primary essay or you'd likely be better off not writing it at all.

User avatar
Lindsey_saurus
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby Lindsey_saurus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:05 pm

I disagree.
I wrote a second essay. Actually, it was number 7. I'm sure it helped me get in as someone below both medians (3.3/168).
I think, particularly for Michigan, it's a good idea to give them as much information about you as possible. Anecdotal evidence says that they really read everyone's application, so it could be helpful.
Try not to overlap too much. You can make your Why Mich about why Michigan is good for you and then the other one about why you'd be good for Michigan. That's what I did.
My second essay was probably better than my Why Mich essay, though. If you're forcing it and it ends up not so good, scrap it.

Good luck!

snowoman
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby snowoman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:11 pm

Lindsey_saurus wrote:I disagree.
I wrote a second essay. Actually, it was number 7. I'm sure it helped me get in as someone below both medians (3.3/168).
I think, particularly for Michigan, it's a good idea to give them as much information about you as possible. Anecdotal evidence says that they really read everyone's application, so it could be helpful.
Try not to overlap too much. You can make your Why Mich about why Michigan is good for you and then the other one about why you'd be good for Michigan. That's what I did.

Good luck!


Thanks so much! I think that's my plan... writing those two essays but separating the questions. Like I said, Mich is a huge reach for me so I think I need to do whatever is in my power to sway them.

markakis
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 am

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby markakis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:18 pm

..and does it say on the application that the "Why Michigan?" essay is compulsory?

snowoman
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby snowoman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:25 pm

markakis wrote:..and does it say on the application that the "Why Michigan?" essay is compulsory?


No, it doesn't. And it's not. I just mean that pretty much everybody says it is extremely beneficial to write this essay, and it is sorta necessary for those who don't have the auto-admit numbers. Like Lindsey said, Michigan is one of the schools that actually spends time considering all aspects (and essays) of an applicant, including their desire to attend the school.

zero1
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby zero1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Lindsey_saurus wrote:I disagree.
I wrote a second essay. Actually, it was number 7. I'm sure it helped me get in as someone below both medians (3.3/168).
I think, particularly for Michigan, it's a good idea to give them as much information about you as possible. Anecdotal evidence says that they really read everyone's application, so it could be helpful.
Try not to overlap too much. You can make your Why Mich about why Michigan is good for you and then the other one about why you'd be good for Michigan. That's what I did.
My second essay was probably better than my Why Mich essay, though. If you're forcing it and it ends up not so good, scrap it.

Good luck!



You just made me very happy today.

User avatar
Sanchez
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby Sanchez » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Lindsey_saurus wrote:I disagree.
I wrote a second essay. Actually, it was number 7. I'm sure it helped me get in as someone below both medians (3.3/168).
I think, particularly for Michigan, it's a good idea to give them as much information about you as possible. Anecdotal evidence says that they really read everyone's application, so it could be helpful.
Try not to overlap too much. You can make your Why Mich about why Michigan is good for you and then the other one about why you'd be good for Michigan. That's what I did.
My second essay was probably better than my Why Mich essay, though. If you're forcing it and it ends up not so good, scrap it.

Good luck!


With whom/what precisely are you disagreeing?

I think we came to the same conclusion - that you should only write it if it will convey something meaningful. This means don't force it and if it doesn't turn out very well or overlaps with what you say already, don't waste the adcom's time with it.

I just wanted to make it clear that it's not mandatory for acceptance and that it can harm as well as help one's chances at acceptance.

User avatar
Lindsey_saurus
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby Lindsey_saurus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:37 pm

I was disagreeing with legends, that you should only write it if it's a DS. Although, I guess he just said it wasn't necessary, which is also true. Sorry for being unclear.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby snotrocket » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:16 pm

I wrote two, but the second was an academic record addendum. Had I not needed that, I would have written only one, and I'm sure my results would have been the same. I would not write two just because they allow you two. Definitely write the Why Michigan?, but don't use another one unless you have something tangible to put in it.

dark
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:21 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby dark » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:01 am

In answering the "why umich" essay, I felt that I touched on a few of the other essay prompts as well. I only did the why umich, but hey, I haven't been admitted yet either :wink:

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby jamaicanjynx » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:53 pm

Are there any "Why Michigan" essays on TLS? I've been doing searches but haven't found anything except a "Why Penn" that I could never match up to because I haven't visited most of the schools I am applying to. Or does anyone care to share their "Why Michigan" essay?

User avatar
treple
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby treple » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 am

snowoman wrote:So in addition to the Personal Statement, Michigan gives applicants the opportunity to write optional essays, as many of you know. I'm writing the Why Michigan essay, of course, since everyone says it's pretty mandatory... but need help deciding whether I should write another.

The application says, "If you wish, write one or two essays (but no more)" and then lists the options. Michigan is a definite reach for me. Should I include another essay? None are very appealing, except maybe Essay 7 (how will your perspectives enrich the intellectual life @ mich and in the legal profession) but it seems this might overlap with the Why Michigan Essay a bit (because Why Michigan also asks what you will contribute.)

Should I force the second essay or forget it? Any other Michigan applicants want to share their choices?


I did not write any additional essays and was invited to apply for a darrow.

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby nycparalegal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 am

Does anyone know if you could write a short addenda on your academic record and the two essays?

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby holborn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:04 am

I'm writing just a why mich. my diversity statement didnt explicity answer any of their questions so I'm just working it into my personal statement more.
Its hard to give examples of why X essays because, more often then not, the good ones include personal experiences and reasons that wouldn't apply to you. unfortunately.

and I dont think you can write 3 extra essays. But Mich doesnt have a page limit on their personal statement so if you could work in some of your answers then you have that option (i know, easier said then done).

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:11 am

I just wrote a Why Mich. I am ED and haven't heard back yet, so I'm not yet sure if my application was effective, but I felt the additional essays were not prompts that were going to be able to highlight my strengths in a particularly good light, so I left them alone. I would write a novel for Mich if it would get me in the door, but I just didn't feel the additional essay was necessary.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby cubswin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Anyone know if my explanation of my second LSAT score will count as essay 3?

"If you do not think that your academic record or standardized test scores accurately reflect your ability to succeed in lawschool, please tell us why."

I assume this question is for people with low numbers, not to explain why one LSAT is more important. But I could be wrong.

ALSO, when they say each response should be about one page, did everyone assume double-spaced? Anyone do single?

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:53 am

I doubt a brief addendum uses up one of your essay slots.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby awesomepossum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:03 am

I'm a 2L and like a lot of students, I've worked with/interacted a lot with admissions although I certainly don't speak for them whatsoever. I do think the Why Michigan essay is important (although it certainly isn't mandatory per se).

Michigan really wants people who want to be here and who would be a good fit. They don't necessarily just want people who simply have the numbers and are applying just because the numbers matrix says they should. Although they're constrained by the rules of the law school admissions/rankings game, I think Dean Z and the other awesome admissions folks make a good effort to get people who would make a good student body and who would have a good time here. That's not to say you can't get it without a 'why michigan' because a lot of people do....but I think if you have anything to write, you should because it will help.

My thought on the essay is this.... I agree that if you really have nothing to say on the subject of "why michigan" you shouldn't write it...HOWEVER.... I kind of wonder...if you don't have anything to say on "why michigan" why apply? Law school is too long to go somewhere just for the rankings.

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Michigan Essays

Postby adt231 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 am

awesomepossum wrote:I agree that if you really have nothing to say on the subject of "why michigan" you shouldn't write it...HOWEVER.... I kind of wonder...if you don't have anything to say on "why michigan" why apply? Law school is too long to go somewhere just for the rankings.


Dirst, awesome username. I have the same shirt!!!! (f***ing snow hats in the summer...)

Second, I'm not sure I completely agree with this. I do agree that if you do not have any reasons on why you want to attend Michigan separate from its stellar ranking, then perhaps applying is not a rational choice. Yet, I do have reasons for why I want to apply to Michigan other than its rankings but they are a bit too generic to put me in the position of writing a good Why essay. Reasons such as: solid rep for keeping students happy while in school, safe nice area (despite the cold winters), large alumni network, excellent placement (perhaps even as good if not better than the likes of an NYU outside of NYC). These reasons are reasons that I have for applying to a handful of schools in the T14, but I'm afraid none of them are particular enough to any school to make for a Why essay that doesn't waste the adcom's time.

Though, am I wrong on this? If you and or others think so, I will definitely reconsider writing a Why essay for Michigan (including some of the content I mentioned about). What do y'all think?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 6 guests