Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:15 pm
Posts: 103
I'm filling out the Fordham application now and at the bottom it asks me to list the schools I'm applying to and give the Name of School, Date of App, and "DISPOSITION". What does that third category mean?

Also, I don't feel entirely comfortable writing all the other schools I'm applying to here...does everyone just write EVERY school they're applying to? (and add an addendum if you're applying to more than fit in their application form?) I just don't see it helping my Fordham app that I'm also applying to NYU...know what I mean? A bad idea to leave this section blank?

Thanks,
L4L


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 am
Posts: 2821
Disposition means what the status is of your application: accepted, rejected, waitlisted, unknown, etc.

Fordham can't really check to see if you have applied to schools other than the ones you list. In addition, it asks for schools you have applied to or are planning on applying...maybe you apply to other schools later that you aren't thinking of now, if you catch my drift.

That said, on my application I listed all of the schools I applied to or was planning on applying to. For example, I put down that I applied to NYU. I still got accepted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:15 pm
Posts: 103
Awesome reply, thanks so much for the help. And since when did "disposition" acquire that meaning...I mean, it makes sense in this context but how bout something crazy like "application status..." guess that'd just be too easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am
Posts: 4473
Lookin4Law wrote:
Awesome reply, thanks so much for the help. And since when did "disposition" acquire that meaning...I mean, it makes sense in this context but how bout something crazy like "application status..." guess that'd just be too easy.


I think they like to laugh at all the people that wrongly interpret it and put something weird down in that column...

and then still accept them if they're above the median.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm
Posts: 971
nitsudrx wrote:
Lookin4Law wrote:
Awesome reply, thanks so much for the help. And since when did "disposition" acquire that meaning...I mean, it makes sense in this context but how bout something crazy like "application status..." guess that'd just be too easy.


I think they like to laugh at all the people that wrongly interpret it and put something weird down in that column...

and then still accept them if they're above the median.


Disposition: "Pleased to be over the median." "Sick to stomach waiting on that last LOR to go complete." "Anxiously anticipating a TS1..."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:15 am
Posts: 98
I was tempted to make a Hamlet joke and write, "Disposition: antic." Then I thought about the odds of getting an admissions officer who was also a Shakespearean scholar. I just put "pending."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:58 pm
Posts: 1
I'm glad this thread is made where I can gain a lot of useful and informative input.



comparatif simulation assurance vie multisupport - simulation assurance vie ! Les sites de simulation assurance viecomparatif simulation assurance vie multisupport


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm
Posts: 641
goatboy1970 wrote:
I was tempted to make a Hamlet joke and write, "Disposition: antic." Then I thought about the odds of getting an admissions officer who was also a Shakespearean scholar. I just put "pending."


LOL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:10 pm
Posts: 7
So, does it help or hurt to list allllll the schools you're applying to.. if all the others aren't impressive?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 pm
Posts: 551
Bankhead wrote:
Lookin4Law wrote:
Awesome reply, thanks so much for the help. And since when did "disposition" acquire that meaning...I mean, it makes sense in this context but how bout something crazy like "application status..." guess that'd just be too easy.


I think they like to laugh at all the people that wrongly interpret it and put something weird down in that column...

and then still accept them if they're above the median.


The root word of "disposition" is "position", which means "status, orientation, place, circumstance, rank, or job". So the word makes perfect sense in various forms and within many contexts. But you're right, so many people do not understand how the English language works. But, in all fairness, English is arguably the most difficult to perfect language in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 pm
Posts: 551
Star wrote:
So, does it help or hurt to list allllll the schools you're applying to.. if all the others aren't impressive?


Technically, you can decline to answer that question. They don't tell applicants this b/c they want an answer. I say applicants should respectfully decline to answer, with a note that you will furnish the info if it is required. You can even tell the school that your list may change, and, thus, you do not want to mislead the school.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm
Posts: 428
LawDog3 wrote:
Star wrote:
So, does it help or hurt to list allllll the schools you're applying to.. if all the others aren't impressive?


Technically, you can decline to answer that question. They don't tell applicants this b/c they want an answer. I say applicants should respectfully decline to answer, with a note that you will furnish the info if it is required. You can even tell the school that your list may change, and, thus, you do not want to mislead the school.


i wouldn't recommend this. if your numbers are stellar, i don't see this hurting you that much (if at all), but there's no reason not to play by their rules if they're asking.

doctorgonzo wrote:
Fordham can't really check to see if you have applied to schools other than the ones you list. In addition, it asks for schools you have applied to or are planning on applying...maybe you apply to other schools later that you aren't thinking of now, if you catch my drift.



+1 -- you can write down all of your safety schools/good fits and leave off your slight reaches/reaches if you're worried about YP. If they ever asked (not that they would), you respond that, at the time, those were the schools to which you were planning to apply, but your pre-law counselor advised you to take a few risks and you ended up applying to X, Y, and Z also..

not that big a deal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:11 am
Posts: 2250
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:52 pm
Posts: 480
I agree with the others, avoid putting schools down that would lead them to Yield Protect you, but I'd say any peer schools are fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does "Disposition" mean?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 492
Not to revisit an old issue, but does anyone else think Fordham is f'ing obnoxious with this? What ridiculous bullsh't!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MadagascarYX, Marshmellow and 16 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB