Darrow Invite

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Shlonster » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Congrats!

EDIT: Something else to consider for Darrow folk. Go to this site: http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

Enter the expected tuition + COL of your other choices. Play around with payment terms (10 vs. 20 vs. 30 years) and check out how much paying sticker will really cost you.


First time I did this, i just about crapped my pants. Although to be fair, when I think about COL of I really only include the difference between my COL now and what it will wherever I end up. Which is still bad, because my COL of living now is low low low low low.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby tamlyric » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Congrats!

EDIT: Something else to consider for Darrow folk. Go to this site: http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

Enter the expected tuition + COL of your other choices. Play around with payment terms (10 vs. 20 vs. 30 years) and check out how much paying sticker will really cost you.


Any closer to making a decision, Mr. Gleam? 8)

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:20 pm

PM'd. :wink:

Clyde, when did you get the invite? Glad to know that they're still going out!

User avatar
clyde_barrow
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby clyde_barrow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:PM'd. :wink:

Clyde, when did you get the invite? Glad to know that they're still going out!

thanks for the congrats, TG! i received the invite 2/18, sent dean Z my essay on 2/24, and got the call yesterday. i would also be interested to hear your thoughts on your decision.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:49 pm

More like clyde_darrow, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

(P.S. PM'd).

User avatar
clyde_barrow
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby clyde_barrow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 pm

lolol have to ask the admins for a s/n-change 8)

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 am

Anyone go to the breakfast at ASW1?

jasmoon
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby jasmoon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:28 am

I received a partial Darrow of 90k, and I was wondering if anyone here has experience or knowledge of using other school acceptances or scholarships to receive more? Or would this be too tacky?

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Anyone go to the breakfast at ASW1?


Bump. :o

aussie3b
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:03 am

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby aussie3b » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Anyone go to the breakfast at ASW1?


Bump. :o


Yea...it wasn't a hard sell...just a nice opportunity to chat with current darrow's and faculty. I thought it was worthwhile. Was there some specific question you had?

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Not specifically...just curious as to the impression you got and where your thought process stands at this point. I've still yet to see AA but am looking forward to doing so...

aussie3b
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:03 am

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby aussie3b » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Not specifically...just curious as to the impression you got and where your thought process stands at this point. I've still yet to see AA but am looking forward to doing so...


I had a great time in Ann Arbor. As I said, I didn't think they made a hard sell-- which was a good thing in my mind. The other Darrow's I met were clearly bright but also pleasantly normal. Dean Z was also equally impressive and warm in person.

For all the reasons above—and probably a couple that I’ve forgotten— I left thinking that Michigan Law would be a great place to go to school.

That being said, I go back and forth on this decision everyday. Right now, I'm weighing the Darrow against Stanford and Harvard. (I'm waiting on Yale). I'd like to be in a small class so that puts Michigan ahead of HLS but Stanford's 170 class size is tempting. I'm just not sure that it is "200k" tempting. That's what i'm thinking about today. I could be thinking about something completely different tomorrow.

User avatar
clyde_barrow
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby clyde_barrow » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Not specifically...just curious as to the impression you got and where your thought process stands at this point. I've still yet to see AA but am looking forward to doing so...

when are you going, TG? the ASWs filled up before i tried to register, so i set up an independent visit for this upcoming sunday/monday.

Heather85
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Heather85 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Anyone know if they're done with the Darrow Invites? Do they send them out this late?

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby er doctor » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:25 pm

Figured I'd restart this thread for this year. Just submitted my essay...now it's time to wait.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Entchen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:29 pm

er doctor wrote:Figured I'd restart this thread for this year. Just submitted my essay...now it's time to wait.


Just took a quick look at the 2009 invitees earlier in this thread -- I counted 18 invited to apply, 16 got the full Darrow, one got a half, and one I don't think ever posted his result -- may have withdrawn before a decision.

Our odds are looking pretty good :shock:

ER, if you get it (or if you don't), will you go? Seems like most people in past years turned it down, actually. I was sort of leaning towards going anyway, so if I get it, that would be a super nice bonus. But my GPA's fairly low for Darrow-types, so I wouldn't be shocked if I'm like the one person who only gets half :P

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby er doctor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Entchen wrote:
er doctor wrote:Figured I'd restart this thread for this year. Just submitted my essay...now it's time to wait.


Just took a quick look at the 2009 invitees earlier in this thread -- I counted 18 invited to apply, 16 got the full Darrow, one got a half, and one I don't think ever posted his result -- may have withdrawn before a decision.

Our odds are looking pretty good :shock:

ER, if you get it (or if you don't), will you go? Seems like most people in past years turned it down, actually. I was sort of leaning towards going anyway, so if I get it, that would be a super nice bonus. But my GPA's fairly low for Darrow-types, so I wouldn't be shocked if I'm like the one person who only gets half :P


Michigan is a top choice my only reservation is my significant other has a job obligation here in Chicago so we might have to long distance it for a year. That being said Michigan is an awesome school and graduating debt free at my age would be a huge bonus.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Another one here.. havent started the essay yet. The topic is essentially what my PS was about so that kind of sucks. Going to be hard to write w/o being repetitive.

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby er doctor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Just got off the phone with Dean Zearfoss

FULL DARROW!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Darrow Invite

Postby Entchen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:19 pm

er doctor wrote:Just got off the phone with Dean Zearfoss

FULL DARROW!!!!!!!!

Already said it in the Mich 11 thread, but seriously, congrats! Hope to be joining you soon!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media and 5 guests