Darrow Invite Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Re: Darrow Invite

Post by Lmao Zedong » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:19 am

do you really go to yale dude? your posts in this thread make it seem like you just finished learning english

aussie3b

New

Post by aussie3b » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:45 am

GargamelITT wrote:do you really go to yale dude? your posts in this thread make it seem like you just finished learning english
I don't care whether tinman doesn't know how to spell his own name. He's writing TLS posts, not a thesis. Let's get off his back with the trivial criticism. He’s taking the time to offer some perspective and I, for one, appreciate that.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 am

Last edited by tamlyric on Sun May 09, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 am

It sounds like at least some of the people who chose HYS over a full scholly elsewhere did it in part because HYS gave them a large chunk of grant aid. Yale at sticker vs a Darrow looks great for the Darrow. Yale with $100k in grant aid is a whole different story. So far, I don't have to make that decision...and I'm not too broken up about it either.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 am

Last edited by tamlyric on Sun May 09, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:52 pm

tamlyric wrote:
aussie3b wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:do you really go to yale dude? your posts in this thread make it seem like you just finished learning english
I don't care whether tinman doesn't know how to spell his own name. He's writing TLS posts, not a thesis. Let's get off his back with the trivial criticism. He’s taking the time to offer some perspective and I, for one, appreciate that.
+1

Also, I believe there is supposed to be a period after your second sentence, gargamelITT. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't sentences supposed to begin with capital letters?

Perhaps, though, you're just trying to live up to your cartoonish reputation? :wink:

--ImageRemoved--
Thank you guys. I just got back from my last final of the semester (and celebratory lunch with small group), and it was nice to see your posts.

aussie3b

New

Post by aussie3b » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:57 pm

ankit wrote:
booby87 wrote:Has anyone with a Darrow offer received physical conformation, like a letter or email? I was in the first batch of offers and I haven't gotten anything yet. Are we supposed to get a letter via snail mail? (I kinda blacked out the convo a little bit..)
I was in the first batch and haven't received anything as yet, but I am sure we're supposed to get something via snail mail. I am based abroad though, so mine's likely to take significantly longer than yours to arrive (unless they use a courier service).
Got the snail mail confirmation letter from Dean Carmiker today.

betsyanna

New

Post by betsyanna » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:10 pm

hello all! i'm a 3l darrow at michigan. i'd be happy to answer questions about my decision to take the darrow and/or my experience here at michigan.

aussie3b

New

Post by aussie3b » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:27 pm

betsyanna wrote:hello all! i'm a 3l darrow at michigan. i'd be happy to answer questions about my decision to take the darrow and/or my experience here at michigan.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of your decision...in much the same way that some of the other current students have talked about what they sacrificed in making their choices.

I'm especially curious about whether putting the Darrow on your resume has opened doors for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:06 pm

aussie3b wrote:
ankit wrote:
booby87 wrote:Has anyone with a Darrow offer received physical conformation, like a letter or email? I was in the first batch of offers and I haven't gotten anything yet. Are we supposed to get a letter via snail mail? (I kinda blacked out the convo a little bit..)
I was in the first batch and haven't received anything as yet, but I am sure we're supposed to get something via snail mail. I am based abroad though, so mine's likely to take significantly longer than yours to arrive (unless they use a courier service).
Did it arrive by regular mail (USPS) or by a courier service?

aussie3b

New

Post by aussie3b » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:10 pm

ankit wrote:
aussie3b wrote:
ankit wrote:
Did it arrive by regular mail (USPS) or by a courier service?
Regular Mail (USPS). FYI, I'm in NYC.

betsyanna

New

Post by betsyanna » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 pm

aussie3b wrote:
betsyanna wrote:hello all! i'm a 3l darrow at michigan. i'd be happy to answer questions about my decision to take the darrow and/or my experience here at michigan.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of your decision...in much the same way that some of the other current students have talked about what they sacrificed in making their choices.

I'm especially curious about whether putting the Darrow on your resume has opened doors for you.

My final decision was between the Darrow at Michigan, a similar scholarship at UVA, and Stanford with very mediocre financial aid. I took the Darrow for practical reasons—I already lived in Ann Arbor, my husband had a job here, and I didn’t want to go into debt if I could avoid it. But I really agonized over the decision because I loved my visit to Stanford (the people there were especially great, plus small size). In the end, it came down to debt—I couldn’t justify paying so much for Stanford if a Michigan law degree would give me comparable opportunities. So, my big question was: would I really have the same opportunities coming out of Michigan as I would out of Stanford?

When I chose the Darrow (in cheerier economic times), most people thought I’d made a big mistake. They told me that I would have limited job options out of Michigan as compared to Stanford. I haven’t found that to be the case, though. I worked for a big law firm in Chicago after my first summer. Last summer, I split between a fancy small firm in San Francisco and a firm in New Mexico. I’ll be clerking for an appellate court judge after graduation. I think the Darrow probably helped with these things, in terms of making me stand out from the crowd of Michigan students. In particular, I think it helped me get my firm job in San Francisco—all of the other summer associates went to higher-ranked schools (most from Stanford). I think it also made a couple of professors take a greater interest in me, which led to wonderful relationships, recommendations, etc.

In the interest of full disclosure: I went to an ivy league undergrad school, and that was a big part of my decision to take the Darrow. I felt like I already had that name-recognition thing going on my resume, so it seemed less risky to turn down Stanford. If I had gone somewhere else for undergrad, I think it would’ve been more important to get HYS on my resume—maybe even worth some debt.

Hope that’s helpful!

michigandarrow

New

Post by michigandarrow » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Congrats, everyone! I'm a current Michigan 1L who took the Darrow - happy to answer any questions you have! Email me at michigandarrow@gmail.com.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 am

So... has anyone with the 1/8 deadline heard back? If not, tomorrow should be the day, right? I needed an extension, but damn I wish I were hearing back tomorrow....

Robert398

New

Post by Robert398 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:47 am

aussie3b wrote:
Seriously

buddyblack

New

Post by buddyblack » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 pm

I imagine the Darrow is usually reserved for people whose numbers are >75th for both LSAT & GPA, but have any splitters (or close to it) received invites?

Unfortunately, one of my numbers falls in the 25th-50th range, the other well above. It doesn't seem like I should hold my breath for it, but because a Darrow would end my cycle, I'll keep hoping.

Congratulations to everyone honored so far!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:01 pm

buddyblack wrote:I imagine the Darrow is usually reserved for people whose numbers are >75th for both LSAT & GPA, but have any splitters (or close to it) received invites?

Unfortunately, one of my numbers falls in the 25th-50th range, the other well above. It doesn't seem like I should hold my breath for it, but because a Darrow would end my cycle, I'll keep hoping.

Congratulations to everyone honored so far!
If you're a URM, you probably have a shot with those numbers. I have a couple URM friends with Darrows; one got it with GPA under the 25th percentile and LSAT above the 75th, the other's GPA and LSAT were both probably between the 50th and 75th.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buddyblack

New

Post by buddyblack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:45 pm

Alexandria wrote:If you're a URM, you probably have a shot with those numbers. I have a couple URM friends with Darrows; one got it with GPA under the 25th percentile and LSAT above the 75th, the other's GPA and LSAT were both probably between the 50th and 75th.
I'm not a URM and my chances don't seem high, but I'll keep track of this thread just the same. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Still can't believe it... Congrats to everyone who heard today.

Hope a new round goes out soon!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:08 pm

emrose wrote:Still can't believe it... Congrats to everyone who heard today.

+1 :mrgreen:

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Ditto. Ditto. Still in shock myself.

Why can't it be Friday?

Care not; I shall storm the bars tonight.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Ditto. Ditto. Still in shock myself.

Why can't it be Friday?

Care not; I shall storm the bars tonight.
Ha! Close 'em down.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:04 pm

buddyblack wrote:I imagine the Darrow is usually reserved for people whose numbers are >75th for both LSAT & GPA, but have any splitters (or close to it) received invites?
Now that my application has been processed I'm cool with answering this "in public". But anyways, I'm a Darrow recipient and a splitter as well -- LSAT a little above 75th, GPA right at/below 25th. So it definitely is NOT numbers-based, at least not primarily!

buddyblack

New

Post by buddyblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Now that my application has been processed I'm cool with answering this "in public". But anyways, I'm a Darrow recipient and a splitter as well -- LSAT a little above 75th, GPA right at/below 25th. So it definitely is NOT numbers-based, at least not primarily!
Congratulations on your Full Darrow!!!!

And I appreciate the response, even if it feeds my false hope.

Legalite

New

Post by Legalite » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Last edited by Legalite on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”