USC Frank Rothman Scholars prgoram

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sher85

USC Frank Rothman Scholars prgoram

Postby sher85 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:33 pm

So I just got an invitation to apply for the USC Frank Rothman Scholar's program in the mail. Anyone else? I live in LA so I might just have gotten it really soon.

Also, does this mean I am probably getting in to USC?

Amplified

Re: USC Frank Rothman Scholars prgoram

Postby Amplified » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 am

Yes. Rothman is their highest honor for an incoming student.

scoobyman

Postby scoobyman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:48 am

Sher85, I think it was just you and me that got the package.

I got the feeling that it wasn't for folks interested in public interest law, but maybe I was reading into it too much.

Did you look into it more? What if you don't want to do a summer internship at "one of the finest law firms in the nation?"

sher85

Postby sher85 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:59 am

scoobyman wrote:Sher85, I think it was just you and me that got the package.

I got the feeling that it wasn't for folks interested in public interest law, but maybe I was reading into it too much.

Did you look into it more? What if you don't want to do a summer internship at "one of the finest law firms in the nation?"

I think that's really interesting because I am also interested in PI law. Urban environmental justice to be exact. Maybe they are encouraging non-corporate types to apply for the scholarship. As far as the summer internship, its not something I think I would personally pick to do. But I think the Rothman's biggest advantage (other than the money) is the networking. And from what I understand a summer internship like this can open many doors int he future. Plus the firm does a lot of pro-bono stuff too. I am definitely applying because its just one summer, the money is great and I think you pick up a lot of skills that will definitely help in any kind of litigation.

What are your numbers? Good luck with the application if u decide to do it!

scoobyman

Postby scoobyman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 pm

Hmmm... That is interesting. I'm a policy advocate for an urban environmental justice org. Maybe they've decided to go ej with rothman!

I will probably apply... I think you're right about the networking, and it would probably be good to work for the firm.

My #'s are 167/4.08. Yours?

Good luck... Maybe I'll see you at USC.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:40 pm

AmyLA got the invite, she mentioned it in the acceptances thread

sher85

Postby sher85 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:27 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
veritas85 wrote:AmyLA got the invite, she mentioned it in the acceptances thread

Yeah, I got the invite too. I assume this means we are accepted? ;)

Congrats to people who got the invite. :)
Edit - I am curious, if you apply for this and get it, does that mean you have to go to USC? I didn't see that mentioned in the packet.....

Congrats!

Nope its still optional. But from what I understand it is prestigious and generous enough that people who have gotten into T10 schools forgo that to be the Rothman at USC. I know I would ... your'e getting paid to go to law school and getting access to an amazing network pretty much. Hard deal to counter.

I sound like the catalog hahaha

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:40 pm

If you're invited to apply but don't think you'd like the firm job (or are otherwise partially dissuaded from applying for some reason), I'd still suggest you apply for the following reason: at least in my experience last cycle, taking the effort to apply seemed to pay off with a somewhat smaller scholarship as an intermediate step on the way to the Rothman decision. (In other words, after I applied for the Rothman, I got a letter saying "We haven't yet chosen a Rothman winner, but we want to offer you $90k at this point - stay tuned to see whether you'll get more.") I'm not sure that's the case for everyone, but for me it definitely kept USC in the running.

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Hey all,

I got the packet yesterday and jumped on TLS today to see what was up. I was also a bit confused as to if indeed the offer was a sign of impending acceptace. Hopefully it is. Regardless, congrats to everyone who got the packet, and good luck in your cycles!

-Trevor

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:37 pm

scoobyman wrote:Sher85, I think it was just you and me that got the package.

I got it too and I made it as clear as possible in my personal statement that I am interested in doing public interest law. So maybe they never read my PS.

It's so funny. I'm an east coaster who has never even visited California, but I've only gotten love from the west coast. I think I need to start packing my bags and get away from this freezing weather.

mycousinvinny

Postby mycousinvinny » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:20 pm

legends159 wrote:
I got it too and I made it as clear as possible in my personal statement that I am interested in doing public interest law. So maybe they never read my PS.

It's so funny. I'm an east coaster who has never even visited California, but I've only gotten love from the west coast. I think I need to start packing my bags and get away from this freezing weather.

Well one good thing about it is that if you apply they pay for plane ticket and lodging to go to interview, that has got to be worth the extra time in applying

scoobyman

Postby scoobyman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:31 pm

Do you mean that if you apply, you automatically get an interview that they bring you out for? It seems like they would want to narrow it down a bit before they start doing interviews, no?

mycousinvinny

Postby mycousinvinny » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:34 am

scoobyman wrote:Do you mean that if you apply, you automatically get an interview that they bring you out for? It seems like they would want to narrow it down a bit before they start doing interviews, no?

Finalists get the flight and lodging for interviews, sorry. And besides if you are here on TLS then youre gonna be a finalist lol

nobrainer

Postby nobrainer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:56 pm

I'm a 1L at USC right now. Each year the Frank Rothman Scholar gets an automatic summer job at Skadden. So yea, it's basically for people who want to do corporate law. Also it seems like they narrow it down by numbers (LSAT, GPA) But I mean, it's a full scholarship and an automatic 1L firm job, so there's no reason not to at least apply for it.

And no, I don't think getting the invitation to apply means ur gonna get accepted.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 pm

nobrainer wrote:I'm a 1L at USC right now. Each year the Frank Rothman Scholar gets an automatic summer job at Skadden. So yea, it's basically for people who want to do corporate law. Also it seems like they narrow it down by numbers (LSAT, GPA) But I mean, it's a full scholarship and an automatic 1L firm job, so there's no reason not to at least apply for it.

And no, I don't think getting the invitation to apply means ur gonna get accepted.

It's definitely by numbers. But do you have any idea what are auto reject type numbers? I want to know if it's worth applying.

mycousinvinny

Postby mycousinvinny » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:35 pm

legends159 wrote:
nobrainer wrote:I'm a 1L at USC right now. Each year the Frank Rothman Scholar gets an automatic summer job at Skadden. So yea, it's basically for people who want to do corporate law. Also it seems like they narrow it down by numbers (LSAT, GPA) But I mean, it's a full scholarship and an automatic 1L firm job, so there's no reason not to at least apply for it.

It's definitely by numbers. But do you have any idea what are auto reject type numbers? I want to know if it's worth applying.

The worst they can say is no if you apply. Kinda like the lotta, cant win if you dont play. Just apply because you may go through life with small regret of not trying.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:37 pm

mycousinvinny wrote:
legends159 wrote:

The worst they can say is no if you apply. Kinda like the lotta, cant win if you dont play. Just apply because you may go through life with small regret of not trying.

True, but I wouldn't go to USC even if I won it.

I kind of want to be a finalist though to get a trip out of it. I know...I know that's a pretty dick move and I won't go through with it. :lol:

EyeBeeM

Postby EyeBeeM » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Wow, only 1 person per year gets this scholarship...

I got the packet in the mail today...I can't figure out from the website what this 1-2 page essay on 'how you will meet the selection criteria' is supposed to be about.

The website on the letter doesn't even work - it just dumps you back to the main USC law page!

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:44 pm

what about the cd that was included?

EyeBeeM

Postby EyeBeeM » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:50 pm

The DVD just has the video clip that plays on the website. Nothing more.

KP429

Postby KP429 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:09 pm

So getting the invitation to apply /=/ admission? I don't understand...

EyeBeeM

Postby EyeBeeM » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:39 pm

KP429 wrote:So getting the invitation to apply /=/ admission? I don't understand...

No, I don't think getting the invite means you're in. But I'd wager that you have a 99% chance to get in if you got it.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:42 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:
KP429 wrote:So getting the invitation to apply /=/ admission? I don't understand...

No, I don't think getting the invite means you're in. But I'd wager that you have a 99% chance to get in if you got it.

Yup. The invitation means your numbers are good enough to get in and probably w/ $$ as well

KP429

Postby KP429 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:43 pm

Why would they send out the invite before acceptance though? Makes no sense to me... maybe invitees are auto-admits? Oh well.. sounds like an amazing program though, but only 1/yr? That's a real bummer.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 pm

sure the scholarship money is fantastic, but the truly tempting thing is a guaranteed summer associateship as a 1L - god knows there are probably a bunch of harvard 1L's who wish they had a guaranteed firm job this summer

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”