Duke Status Checker

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
WarrenCourt
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Duke Status Checker

Postby WarrenCourt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:38 pm

I just got an email from Bill Hoye saying that I had gotten into Duke Law, but when I check the Admissions Status website, it still says "Your file is under review. A decision has not yet been made." Is that normal? Do other schools notify applicants before updating the status checker? Maybe I'm wasting my time checking them so obsessively...

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:41 pm

WarrenCourt wrote:I just got an email from Bill Hoye saying that I had gotten into Duke Law, but when I check the Admissions Status website, it still says "Your file is under review. A decision has not yet been made." Is that normal? Do other schools notify applicants before updating the status checker? Maybe I'm wasting my time checking them so obsessively...

Why would the e-mail be sent on a Sunday?

I think it's pretty common for status checkers not to be updated until after you've rec'd your decision.

User avatar
WarrenCourt
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby WarrenCourt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:45 pm

I know, I thought that was weird, too. Maybe I am just paranoid, but the combination of a Sunday email and no update on the Application Status website made me question the authenticity... Hopefully it's paranoia, but I'll see when/if I get a packet in the mail.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby 20160810 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:49 pm

I assume it's for real. Call on Monday or check the status checker then to see for sure, but I doubt there are phony Duke acceptance emails going around, even if getting it on Sunday is highly strange.

Congrats on Dook, btw.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby doyleoil » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:51 pm

yeah it's not fake - i just got in also via that e-mail - weird that it's on a sunday...but i'm not complainin - haha (and my status checker is still on "a decision has not been made" also)

User avatar
hopeful09
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby hopeful09 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:55 pm

WarrenCourt wrote:I just got an email from Bill Hoye saying that I had gotten into Duke Law, but when I check the Admissions Status website, it still says "Your file is under review. A decision has not yet been made." Is that normal? Do other schools notify applicants before updating the status checker? Maybe I'm wasting my time checking them so obsessively...


doyleoil wrote:yeah it's not fake - i just got in also via that e-mail - weird that it's on a sunday...but i'm not complainin - haha


WarrenCourt and Doyleoil - when did you both go complete? I've had an application under review there and wanted to see how far my completion date was from you guys. Thanks!

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby doyleoil » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:58 pm

complete on 10/30 (got the status check e-mail on 10/31)

User avatar
WarrenCourt
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby WarrenCourt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:02 pm

Not exactly sure when I went complete. Got the status check link by email on 10/30, though.

Unbiasedfanboy
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby Unbiasedfanboy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 pm

I went complete in early October and got the e-mail on Tuesday

ezpar
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby ezpar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:09 pm

Does it mean anything when the status check goes from "Complete" to "Under review"?

(Other than what it obviously means)

But seriously, is an acceptance handed out shortly after this transition, or is there no way of knowing? I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, but just checking.

bocadellupo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby bocadellupo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:19 pm

definitely don't worry about the status thing. i think they just randomly update that when they feel like it. i was accepted in early november, and my status didn't change to decision until mid to late november, after i had already received the packet in the mail. why i was still checking my online app status weeks after decision is a different story altogether... :oops:

and going from complete to under review means that you've gone from having everything in to having all your app materials sent to the admissions committee people for review.

ezpar
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby ezpar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 pm

bocadellupo wrote:definitely don't worry about the status thing. i think they just randomly update that when they feel like it. i was accepted in early november, and my status didn't change to decision until mid to late november, after i had already received the packet in the mail. why i was still checking my online app status weeks after decision is a different story altogether... :oops:

and going from complete to under review means that you've gone from having everything in to having all your app materials sent to the admissions committee people for review.


Yeah, that's what I figured. I was hoping maybe there was some sort of distinct timeline between going under review and getting an acceptance. Oh well. Congrats on your acceptance.

bocadellupo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby bocadellupo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:23 pm

ezpar wrote:
bocadellupo wrote:definitely don't worry about the status thing. i think they just randomly update that when they feel like it. i was accepted in early november, and my status didn't change to decision until mid to late november, after i had already received the packet in the mail. why i was still checking my online app status weeks after decision is a different story altogether... :oops:

and going from complete to under review means that you've gone from having everything in to having all your app materials sent to the admissions committee people for review.


Yeah, that's what I figured. I was hoping maybe there was some sort of distinct timeline between going under review and getting an acceptance. Oh well. Congrats on your acceptance.


thanks! good luck... preserve your sanity and stop refreshing the status checker! haha

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:49 am

This morning my status just updated for the first time in months. It had been "file ready for review" since January, now it's "Under review." I haven't really been following my Duke app because I'm such a longshot, but does anybody know what this might mean? Should I expect a decision by Friday, perhaps?

Jrugg88
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby Jrugg88 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:This morning my status just updated for the first time in months. It had been "file ready for review" since January, now it's "Under review." I haven't really been following my Duke app because I'm such a longshot, but does anybody know what this might mean? Should I expect a decision by Friday, perhaps?


No. Mine was "ready for review" for an eternity and then "under review" for 3 weeks before I got a decision.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 8 guests