Duke Status Checker

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WarrenCourt

Duke Status Checker

Postby WarrenCourt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:38 pm

I just got an email from Bill Hoye saying that I had gotten into Duke Law, but when I check the Admissions Status website, it still says "Your file is under review. A decision has not yet been made." Is that normal? Do other schools notify applicants before updating the status checker? Maybe I'm wasting my time checking them so obsessively...

Other25BeforeYou

Re: Duke Status Checker

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:41 pm

WarrenCourt wrote:I just got an email from Bill Hoye saying that I had gotten into Duke Law, but when I check the Admissions Status website, it still says "Your file is under review. A decision has not yet been made." Is that normal? Do other schools notify applicants before updating the status checker? Maybe I'm wasting my time checking them so obsessively...

Why would the e-mail be sent on a Sunday?

I think it's pretty common for status checkers not to be updated until after you've rec'd your decision.

WarrenCourt

Postby WarrenCourt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:45 pm

I know, I thought that was weird, too. Maybe I am just paranoid, but the combination of a Sunday email and no update on the Application Status website made me question the authenticity... Hopefully it's paranoia, but I'll see when/if I get a packet in the mail.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:49 pm

I assume it's for real. Call on Monday or check the status checker then to see for sure, but I doubt there are phony Duke acceptance emails going around, even if getting it on Sunday is highly strange.

Congrats on Dook, btw.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:51 pm

yeah it's not fake - i just got in also via that e-mail - weird that it's on a sunday...but i'm not complainin - haha (and my status checker is still on "a decision has not been made" also)

hopeful09

Postby hopeful09 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:55 pm

WarrenCourt wrote:I just got an email from Bill Hoye saying that I had gotten into Duke Law, but when I check the Admissions Status website, it still says "Your file is under review. A decision has not yet been made." Is that normal? Do other schools notify applicants before updating the status checker? Maybe I'm wasting my time checking them so obsessively...

doyleoil wrote:yeah it's not fake - i just got in also via that e-mail - weird that it's on a sunday...but i'm not complainin - haha

WarrenCourt and Doyleoil - when did you both go complete? I've had an application under review there and wanted to see how far my completion date was from you guys. Thanks!

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:58 pm

complete on 10/30 (got the status check e-mail on 10/31)

WarrenCourt

Postby WarrenCourt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:02 pm

Not exactly sure when I went complete. Got the status check link by email on 10/30, though.

Unbiasedfanboy

Postby Unbiasedfanboy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 pm

I went complete in early October and got the e-mail on Tuesday

ezpar

Postby ezpar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:09 pm

Does it mean anything when the status check goes from "Complete" to "Under review"?

(Other than what it obviously means)

But seriously, is an acceptance handed out shortly after this transition, or is there no way of knowing? I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, but just checking.

bocadellupo

Postby bocadellupo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:19 pm

definitely don't worry about the status thing. i think they just randomly update that when they feel like it. i was accepted in early november, and my status didn't change to decision until mid to late november, after i had already received the packet in the mail. why i was still checking my online app status weeks after decision is a different story altogether... :oops:

and going from complete to under review means that you've gone from having everything in to having all your app materials sent to the admissions committee people for review.

ezpar

Postby ezpar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 pm

bocadellupo wrote:definitely don't worry about the status thing. i think they just randomly update that when they feel like it. i was accepted in early november, and my status didn't change to decision until mid to late november, after i had already received the packet in the mail. why i was still checking my online app status weeks after decision is a different story altogether... :oops:

and going from complete to under review means that you've gone from having everything in to having all your app materials sent to the admissions committee people for review.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was hoping maybe there was some sort of distinct timeline between going under review and getting an acceptance. Oh well. Congrats on your acceptance.

bocadellupo

Postby bocadellupo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:23 pm

ezpar wrote:
bocadellupo wrote:definitely don't worry about the status thing. i think they just randomly update that when they feel like it. i was accepted in early november, and my status didn't change to decision until mid to late november, after i had already received the packet in the mail. why i was still checking my online app status weeks after decision is a different story altogether... :oops:

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was hoping maybe there was some sort of distinct timeline between going under review and getting an acceptance. Oh well. Congrats on your acceptance.

thanks! good luck... preserve your sanity and stop refreshing the status checker! haha

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:49 am

This morning my status just updated for the first time in months. It had been "file ready for review" since January, now it's "Under review." I haven't really been following my Duke app because I'm such a longshot, but does anybody know what this might mean? Should I expect a decision by Friday, perhaps?

Jrugg88

Postby Jrugg88 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:This morning my status just updated for the first time in months. It had been "file ready for review" since January, now it's "Under review." I haven't really been following my Duke app because I'm such a longshot, but does anybody know what this might mean? Should I expect a decision by Friday, perhaps?

No. Mine was "ready for review" for an eternity and then "under review" for 3 weeks before I got a decision.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”