Schools that require Dean's Certification

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mikey1

Schools that require Dean's Certification

Postby Mikey1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 pm

Can we start a thread on what schools require the Dean's Certificate before being admitted?

I know that Cornell does, although yesterday it was posted that in order for your application to be reviewed, it was not necessary for them to have it. Either way, it would be great to know since many schools on the LSDAS system, when applying, show a Dean's Certificate requirement but this is after admittance to the school.

jake768

Re: Schools that require Dean's Certification

Postby jake768 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:18 pm

i'd recommend searching for the real thread... but here's some

Cornell
Columbia
BU
UConn
Richmond
South Carolina
Washington & Lee
Suffolk

If Accepted: Duke, Wake Forest

Mikey1

Postby Mikey1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 pm

I didn't know there was a "real thread." I actually just tried searching for it and did not find anything.

deliciouspork

Postby deliciouspork » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:29 pm

jake768 wrote:i'd recommend searching for the real thread... but here's some

Cornell
Columbia
BU
UConn
Richmond
South Carolina
Washington & Lee
Suffolk

If Accepted: Duke, Wake Forest

Add USC to that list.

BU and Columbia now only take Dean's Cert. AFTER you are admitted. See here:
http://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/apply/jd/application/
http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applicants/faqs/appdocs

KLeigh

Postby KLeigh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:31 pm

South Carolina does? I only just started looking into it because I realized I have a fee waiver from there, but I don't see anything on their website where it lists Application Requirements about a Dean's Certification. I also just quickly scanned the application and I don't see that anywhere on there either, nor are there any supplemental forms... Where did you get that information?

deliciouspork

Postby deliciouspork » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 pm

KLeigh wrote:South Carolina does? I only just started looking into it because I realized I have a fee waiver from there, but I don't see anything on their website where it lists Application Requirements about a Dean's Certification. I also just quickly scanned the application and I don't see that anywhere on there either, nor are there any supplemental forms... Where did you get that information?

Sorry, I should have clarified: USC = University of Southern California.

KLeigh

Postby KLeigh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:34 pm

No no, I knew USC. The list up there has South Carolina on it...

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Of the T14, Stanford and Cornell require it, and I know Harvard wants it once you're in (but who's worrying about that right now?!).

EyeBeeM

Postby EyeBeeM » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:23 pm

KLeigh wrote:No no, I knew USC. The list up there has South Carolina on it...

There is no Dean Certification form for the USC (Southern Cal) application on LSAC. It appears you only need to submit one to explain any academic warning/misconduct if you have any.

VictoryFord

Postby VictoryFord » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:12 pm

cardozo
brooklyn

Dr_Nex

Postby Dr_Nex » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Harvard and NYU require it after admit, I believe.

tls4ever

Postby tls4ever » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:40 am

Dean's Cert is just another pain-in-the-butt loop that you have to jump through. Why is it even necessary? Does anyone ever know their Dean personally?

aspasia

Postby aspasia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:36 am

Comprehensive list with details:

http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/law/deans_forms.html

Check out the fine print, because a lot of those schools only require one if you've ever been subject to disciplinary action.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:20 am

I didn't see anything on the BU app that asked for a Dean's Cert.

tjb

Postby tjb » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 am

I just checked-- BU when applying does not need us to fill out a dean's cert.

Darth Topher

Postby Darth Topher » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:35 am

the whole idea seems a little awkward

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Resurrecting this one. I am feeling a bit apprehensive right now, like I've done something really dumb.

I was under the impression that you only needed the dean's cert from cornell if you checked yes on the academic probation box.

I realllllly hope that my app isn't just sitting in someone's computer, waiting for my dean's cert to show up.

lawyerliar

Postby lawyerliar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:37 pm

according to the link the only school in the top 20 that require it from everyone with the application is stanford.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:39 pm

University of Washington. I didn't notice that Cardozo and Brooklyn required one ?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:46 pm

Curious about Cornell. AppReqs (LinkRemoved) says that they do not need one prior to admission, but it's still on their admission website. Of course, the form on their website looks like it's not actually a Dean's Certification and is only needed alongside a recommendation that does not use the standard LSAC formulation. Can anyone shed light on this?

I don't really care that much because Cornell is fairly low on my list, but it would be nice not to have submitted in vain, and I'd certainly go to Cornell if I got plenty of money there and didn't get into Harvard or Yale.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:24 pm

BenJ wrote:Curious about Cornell. AppReqs (LinkRemoved) says that they do not need one prior to admission, but it's still on their admission website. Of course, the form on their website looks like it's not actually a Dean's Certification and is only needed alongside a recommendation that does not use the standard LSAC formulation. Can anyone shed light on this?

I don't really care that much because Cornell is fairly low on my list, but it would be nice not to have submitted in vain, and I'd certainly go to Cornell if I got plenty of money there and didn't get into Harvard or Yale.

Bump. Anyone with a decision rendered by cornell tell us if they turned in their deans form?

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:26 pm

zabagabe wrote:Of the T14, Stanford and Cornell require it, and I know Harvard wants it once you're in (but who's worrying about that right now?!).

Cornell only if you answer yes to any of the misconduct questions...Only Stanford in the t14 needs it regardless of misconduct

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Oli wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Of the T14, Stanford and Cornell require it, and I know Harvard wants it once you're in (but who's worrying about that right now?!).

Cornell only if you answer yes to any of the misconduct questions...Only Stanford in the t14 needs it regardless of misconduct

Any? I checked the interrupted academic career (like took a semester off) box... was my addendum not enough?

I'm surprised they'd want a dean's cert for that.... or say if someone had checked the box for felony/misdemeanor, they'd have to submit a dean's cert. along with their addendum too? Kind of bizzare, you wouldn't think the two had much to do with one another.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:31 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Oli wrote:

Any? I checked the interrupted academic career (like took a semester off) box... was my addendum not enough?

I'm surprised they'd want a dean's cert for that.... or say if someone had checked the box for felony/misdemeanor, they'd have to submit a dean's cert. along with their addendum too? Kind of bizzare, you wouldn't think the two had much to do with one another.

Read your app carefully. Its only if you answer yes to 1 question (22 I think) not sure but it saysright on the application.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Oli wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
Oli wrote:

Read your app carefully. Its only if you answer yes to 1 question (22 I think) not sure but it saysright on the application.

Ok. :) phew. When you said any of the misconduct questions, I concluded you meant anything in that section.
Well, that puts me in the clear and leaves me wondering why the heck my status is still "applied and in our system."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”