which is more important - higher gpa or lsat score Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
littleboyblue

Bronze

which is more important - higher gpa or lsat score

Post by littleboyblue » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:25 am

trying to figure out if you are below 25% for one stat and at or above the median for the other - which would you prefer? a higher gpa or higher lsat score?

Darth Topher

New

Re: which is more important - higher gpa or lsat score

Post by Darth Topher » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:31 am

LSAT

ProfessorMurder

New

Post by ProfessorMurder » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:40 am

LSAT

TLSocrates

New

Post by TLSocrates » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:46 am

LSAT

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:18 am

Writing sample on LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:38 pm

nathangimpel wrote:Writing sample on LSAT.
haha no.

unfgolfer14

New

Post by unfgolfer14 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:40 pm

LSAT hands down. Not even close.

hayman

New

Post by hayman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:44 pm

gpa - can always retake the lsat

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Photo on application.

(bikini recommended)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hokie09

New

Post by hokie09 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:05 pm

I wish they'd consider GPA more, or at least weigh the two equally. LSAT is the outcome of how you perform on one day (though does indicate preparation and skill level as well to an extent). GPA is something determined by the work you put in over 3-4 years of college. I think that work should account for more than most schools make it. GPA does vary by school, but I feel like this is unavoidable.

Oh well, that's how it goes I guess, when I had a lower GPA than I would have liked in HS with a high SAT that was all undergrad schools cared about, and I told myself I would make it up to myself by working hard in college. Turns out law schools care significantly less about the difference between a 3.6 and a 3.9 from what I can tell.

extragnarls

New

Post by extragnarls » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:29 pm

hokie09 wrote:I wish they'd consider GPA more, or at least weigh the two equally. LSAT is the outcome of how you perform on one day (though does indicate preparation and skill level as well to an extent). GPA is something determined by the work you put in over 3-4 years of college. I think that work should account for more than most schools make it. GPA does vary by school, but I feel like this is unavoidable.
Yes, but weighting GPA more heavily just wouldn't work in the current system. Top schools need a criterion to differentiate among the top applicants, and there are, I believe, a lot more people with high GPAs than there are with high LSAT scores. On top of that, the LSAT is standardized whereas the GPA of any particular applicant has a lot to do with the rigor of their UG, their area of study, etc.

I agree: it's weird to imagine that 4-5 hours on one morning weighs more heavily than an academic record reflecting 3-4 years worth of work, but that seems to be the case, and there are substantial reasons for it being the case.
hayman wrote:gpa - can always retake the lsat
True that, but once you get your final LSAT score it's still weighed more heavily than your GPA (which is what the OP asked).

mr.undroppable

New

Post by mr.undroppable » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:55 pm

hokie09 wrote:I wish they'd consider GPA more, or at least weigh the two equally. LSAT is the outcome of how you perform on one day (though does indicate preparation and skill level as well to an extent). GPA is something determined by the work you put in over 3-4 years of college. I think that work should account for more than most schools make it. GPA does vary by school, but I feel like this is unavoidable.
I wish law schools counted in class participation/preparation more. Your course grade is based on the outcome of how you perform on one day. I mean, you could be totally prepared for every class with two page briefs of every case, hornbook law memorized, etc but then all it takes is one bad day to end up below the curve.

see where I am going with this?

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Oh well, that's how it goes I guess, when I had a lower GPA than I would have liked in HS with a high SAT that was all undergrad schools cared about, and I told myself I would make it up to myself by working hard in college. Turns out law schools care significantly less about the difference between a 3.6 and a 3.9 from what I can tell.
Law schools need to weight the LSAT more than GPA. Grade inflation has greatly reduced the comparability of applicants' undergrad performance. I mean when small liberal arts colleges hand out A's to say, drama majors, at numbers rivaling the national debt at the same time chemical engineering students work there ass off for B's, some equalizing standard needs to be used.

(and Yes, I am dis-ing the difficulty of a liberal arts education! LOL)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hokie09

New

Post by hokie09 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:40 pm

penguinfiasco wrote:
Yes, but weighting GPA more heavily just wouldn't work in the current system. Top schools need a criterion to differentiate among the top applicants, and there are, I believe, a lot more people with high GPAs than there are with high LSAT scores. On top of that, the LSAT is standardized whereas the GPA of any particular applicant has a lot to do with the rigor of their UG, their area of study, etc.
The same could be said for getting into undergrad, and some of the top schools are moving the other way and getting rid of SAT score requirements.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Boalt weighs them both about the same.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”