UC Irvine Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
USC2009

UC Irvine Law School

Postby USC2009 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Any thoughts? Anyone on TLS applying?

RVP11

Re: UC Irvine Law School

Postby RVP11 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:33 pm

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:34 pm

I just saw that. D'oh! Oh well, that thread seems more like a discussion about the city of Irvine anyway.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:45 am

What else are they supposed to talk about other than the city? The law school isn't even opened yet. It's all speculation.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:32 am

USC2009 wrote:Any thoughts? Anyone on TLS applying?

I am. :)

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:36 am

nitsudrx wrote:What else are they supposed to talk about other than the city? The law school isn't even opened yet. It's all speculation.

They could discuss the faculty, the supposed objectives of the school, the pros/cons for attending the law school, etc.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:24 pm

I may apply, I guess it can't hurt. For a school just starting, they do have a pretty impressive OCI list set up. The Facilities are going to be pretty lacking the first few years though.

Also, the very small class size of the entering class will allow very close work with some of the top law professors in the country.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:20 am

Just got an email from the admissions office re: the fall 2009 application. They're requiring both a personal statement and a WHY UC IRIVINE? essay. And, get this--they're also asking for THREE rec letters. I think admission to UC Irvine will be more competitive than I had previously thought.

jawsome

Postby jawsome » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:53 am

OperaAttorney wrote:Just got an email from the admissions office re: the fall 2009 application. They're requiring both a personal statement and a WHY UC IRIVINE? essay. And, get this--they're also asking for THREE rec letters. I think admission to UC Irvine will be more competitive than I had previously thought.

They're only letting in something like 65-70 students so, yeah, I think it's going to be very competitive.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:28 am

bobina wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote: I think admission to UC Irvine will be more competitive than I had previously thought.

I know, they are only accepting 50% of applicants.

You must be as drunk as a lush, Ms. Bobina. We're discussing UC Irvine, not Cooley, your future law school.

izcanzbelawyrnow?

Postby izcanzbelawyrnow? » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:07 am

OperaAttorney wrote:Just got an email from the admissions office re: the fall 2009 application. They're requiring both a personal statement and a WHY UC IRIVINE? essay. And, get this--they're also asking for THREE rec letters. I think admission to UC Irvine will be more competitive than I had previously thought.

I imagine that at least to some degree, all of the extra work is to create a barrier to entry for those who plan on applying just to "see what happens", but really have no intention of going there because they would rather go to a more established and/or prestigious law school.

izcanzbelawyrnow?

Postby izcanzbelawyrnow? » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:15 am

bobina wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote: I think admission to UC Irvine will be more competitive than I had previously thought.

Well that statistic would require that only 120-140 people could apply.

That would be quite a feat on UCI's part - not only would they have control over who they accept, they would have control over how many people actually submit applications to the school! I'm browsing the website for the sign-up sheet now.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:46 am

izcanzbelawyrnow? wrote:
bobina wrote:

That would be quite a feat on UCI's part - not only would they have control over who they accept, they would have control over how many people actually submit applications to the school! I'm browsing the website for the sign-up sheet now.

Don't believe Bobina. They anticipate enrolling 60 students next fall. That's all.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:47 am

izcanzbelawyrnow? wrote:

I imagine that at least to some degree, all of the extra work is to create a barrier to entry for those who plan on applying just to "see what happens", but really have no intention of going there because they would rather go to a more established and/or prestigious law school.

I agree. If Chemerinsky were teaching every class, this would be an easy decision to make.

izcanzbelawyrnow?

Postby izcanzbelawyrnow? » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:19 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
izcanzbelawyrnow? wrote:
bobina wrote:

Don't believe Bobina. They anticipate enrolling 60 students next fall. That's all.

Oh trust me - I don't ('twas a joke).

Yellowcard

Postby Yellowcard » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 pm

1. Does UCI do rolling admissions?
2. If UCI does not do rolling admissions, does anyone know when the next batch of acceptances/rejections/wait lists is coming?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”