How many law schools should I apply to? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ken

Bronze

How many law schools should I apply to?

Post by Ken » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:03 pm

Applying to many law schools (eight or more) is a great use of your time and money, particularly when you put the law school application process in perspective. For example, you have probably spent several thousands of hours studying and attending classes during your four or five years in college. Additionally, you should spend over 200 hours preparing for the LSAT.

In stark contrast, each additional application will only take you several hours to complete and require a nominal fee ranging from $50-$100. Given the variability of the student selection process, extra applications can possibly be the difference between your getting into a much better law school than you anticipated. For example, one of my friends was rejected from the University of Texas Law School yet was accepted into Harvard Law School, to which he almost did not apply.

btmansfi

New

Applying to many law schools

Post by btmansfi » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:35 pm

Ken,

Would you comment on my thread "Am I Competitive". Will applying to several law schools help me out?

Thanks,
Brian Mansfield

Ken

Bronze

Apply to Ten or more law schools if you can

Post by Ken » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:34 am

I just wanted to amend my earlier comments and say that because of the many benefits to applying to many law schools, I now recommend applying to ten or more law schools. I think applying to 2-3 safety schools, 3-4 median schools (where your LSAT and GPA are close to the medians), and 4-6 reach schools (where their LSAT and GPAs are above, but not way above, your stats).

You want to maximize the likelihood of success of your 4(+) years in college and hopefully over 100 hours of studying for the LSAT.

ed

New

Post by ed » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:46 pm

Ken,

Just wondering if you could take a look at my post. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the great advice you post.

Ken

Bronze

Please post to the forum

Post by Ken » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:06 am

Hello Ed,

I definitely look forward to responding soon, I just have been very busy at work and with the family today. I really welcome any other comments to Ed's post or any other posts. Ideally, this would be an interactive discussion amongst many site visitors. Back tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicagored

New

Post by chicagored » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:04 pm

Ken,

Would you say there is a maximum? Can you apply to too many law schools? If someone applies to 15 or so law schools, would admissions committee view this in a negative light?

dwharris2

New

Post by dwharris2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:30 am

If a school asks you in its application where else you're applying, I assume you're obliged to tell them if you're applying elsewhere.

letylyf

New

Post by letylyf » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:03 am

The only application I've seen that asks that has been the University of the Pacific - presumably there are others, but they only gave you five boxes and the instructions didn't even specify to fill ALL the boxes. Honestly they have no way of verifying your information.

What I did with UofP was list 5 mid-tier schools I may or may not apply to - I didn't feel that listing Yale, UVa, and NYU would encourage them to let me come there, especially when my numbers are way above UoP's averages.

That might be kind of ethically ambiguous, but they did only give me 5 boxes, and I could very well end up applying to all those places (OU, my undergrad; UNM, my hometown; etc).

jeff2486

New

Vague

Post by jeff2486 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:21 am

I kept it vague and have been putting things like "Other schools in California"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:35 am

Do some schools actually ask about other schools on their app? I haven't even started the process yet so I don't know the intricacies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but after you have ONE solid personal statement, the rest should be a breeze right?

I may be completely off on this, but it seems to me that the application process is fairly easy, at least compared to applying to business school. MBA apps are pages and pages long with multiple essays, mostly different topics per school!

So what would stop me from applying to 15 schools really? Can someone tell me? I do have the money set aside for it... Again, I may be totally off, I haven't really gotten into the process yet.... but some enlightening from other more experienced applicants would be most appreciated :)

dwharris2

New

Post by dwharris2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:55 am

Among the schools I'm applying to, Fordham wants to know where you applied before, where you're applying now, and where you plan to apply in the future. For those in the past, it wants to know the "disposition," which means, I assume, whether you got in, and if you did, what decision you made.

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:23 am

Fordham wants to know where you applied before, where you're applying now, and where you plan to apply in the future. For those in the past, it wants to know the "disposition,"
I don't see anything like that ON the application itself... the only related question I see is #20-#21

20. Have you ever applied to Fordham Law School in the past? Yes No If so, When?

21. What was the outcome of your application?

I'll keep an eye out for it on my other apps though...

dwharris2

New

Post by dwharris2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:46 am

EyeOfTheTiger,
Look at question 22. Unless I'm grossly misreading it, it asks about other law schools.
Yours,
dwharris2
Last edited by dwharris2 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:57 am

this is the last page of the application

http://i6.tinypic.com/2d8q4c0.jpg

dwharris2

New

Post by dwharris2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:31 pm

Not on my Fordham application for Fall 2007. On the last page -- page 4 -- it asks about other schools. Anyway, I'll fill out what I have, just as you'll fill out what you have.
Yours,
dwharris2
Last edited by dwharris2 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EyeOfTheTiger

New

Post by EyeOfTheTiger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:38 pm

That is very odd that they have two different applications on their admissions page. I see that that extra question appears on their application attached with the viewbook, but not in the application that you can download separately. I'm assuming the online application will have that extra question though.

dwharris2

New

Post by dwharris2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:44 pm

I'm looking at the application provided through LSAC. In any case, I have no hesitance to answer the question. I just wonder why they ask when so few other schools seem to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”