What's Up With Cornell Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
USC2009

Re: What's Up With Cornell Law?

Postby USC2009 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:51 pm

I've heard that the amount of studying isn't that much different at Cornell than it is elsewhere (LS, not UG), and that the "6 hours a day" stat floating around the internet is way off.

Then again, that's just what I've heard.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:52 pm

EmmyD wrote:
I went to school at USC. I'm not exactly opposed to nice weather

For some reason, I have a hard time believing you.

Dammit, I was trying to keep my true identity hidden :x

bobjr

Postby bobjr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:36 pm

I would rather spend 3 years in Ithaca than in Adams Morgan.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 pm

I feel like if I lived in Ithaca, I would need to always have a camera ready so I could make some epic, beautiful movie involving the snowy background there. Think Terrence Malick in the snow, for any of you film buffs.

Mark71121

Postby Mark71121 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:07 am

After spending my entire life in NYC, Ithaca might be a nice change of pace.

With that said, I'll be in DC next week. I guess I'll continue to be spoiled by urban amenities.

libertarian

Postby libertarian » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 am

v
Last edited by libertarian on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 am

libertarian wrote:Those disparaging remarks about the Dakotas are :roll: at best.

Yes, there are boring fields and prairies, but some of the most beautiful scenery in the world can be found in the Dakotas.

Yeh yeh no one gives a shit.

libertarian

Postby libertarian » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:25 am

v
Last edited by libertarian on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

h_frog_88

Postby h_frog_88 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:41 am

I have to agree with libertarian here, SD is beautiful and cold as hell. For you elitist smug pricks, there is much more out there than NYC and biglaw- for example even Arkansas (which I will assume many of you haven't been too) is amazing..full of beauty and even some bright people.

USC2009- I've only ever seen Thin Red Line, I but I like the idea of snowy films

libertarian

Postby libertarian » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:43 pm

b
Last edited by libertarian on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't see a single Starbucks, wtf.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:50 pm

h_frog_88 wrote:USC2009- I've only ever seen Thin Red Line, I but I like the idea of snowy films

The Thin Red Line was great, but if you liked the look of that movie, definitely take a look at The New World. Days of Heaven is great too, but primarily uses brown as a color scheme...

--ImageRemoved--

OT, I know. But the man makes some good looking movies.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm

mallard wrote:I don't see a single Starbucks, wtf.

:lol: This was too funny!
Gosh I hope I get into Stanford, USC,UCLA, Boalt oh the list goes on...

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:54 pm

I need to take a panoramic shot of 7th and Fig in downtown LA, where there are two Starbucks across the street from each other.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:45 pm

USC2009 wrote:

I need to take a panoramic shot of 7th and Fig in downtown LA, where there are two Starbucks across the street from each other.

Please do, I'll put it on my desktop!

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Is there anything impressive about Brown? I admit to having a few fun nights on adams morgan. I even admit to having fun in Georgetown even (gasp!) the waterfront. I just have a lot more fun in NYC.

admittedly biased opinion, but georgetown can be pretty awesome. or at least relatively so (it took me about a year and a half to get sick of the georgetown scene, and much, much less than that to look askance at Adams Morgan). the waterfront is awesome. calling dupont circle the fruity loop is hilarious. a buddy of mine works at a bar called DIK. it stands for....... Dupont Italian Kitchen.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:21 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:Is there anything impressive about Brown? I admit to having a few fun nights on adams morgan. I even admit to having fun in Georgetown even (gasp!) the waterfront. I just have a lot more fun in NYC.

admittedly biased opinion, but georgetown can be pretty awesome. or at least relatively so (it took me about a year and a half to get sick of the georgetown scene, and much, much less than that to look askance at Adams Morgan). the waterfront is awesome. calling dupont circle the fruity loop is hilarious. a buddy of mine works at a bar called DIK. it stands for....... Dupont Italian Kitchen.

how's the search function working for ya?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:24 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:

This thread is like a million years old.

green

Postby green » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:27 pm

South Dakota isn't exactly a metropolis, but it's charming.

green

Postby green » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:28 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:

Oops, did not see this at all.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:31 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:

didn't realize that until after i posted. i just searched "cornell" and this was like the second link. also, there weren't any tell-tale posts that would have dated the conversation. still, observation fail. win some you lose some though right.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:57 pm

dbt wrote:So let me get this straight: the two reasons Cornell has lower entering class stats are

(a) Ithaca
(b) Degree of studying required

I can understand that then. It just seems like people would rather be at tiny Cornell which places well for most of the class than big Georgetown which might place less well if you're below the median.

A lot of people on here don't realize it for some reason ( what am I saying, it's because most people on here don't hang out with normal people) but GULC's lay prestige is massive. I've said it time and time again but people on here just don't realize how prestigious GULC is to the layman. I was talking to this guy in the honors program at my school the other day, and he has a 3.97 and is aiming for the Rhodes, and he said his top choices for law school were: HYS and GULC. He did not mention any other schools. He said that he was interested in "international law". I told him to add NYU to his list and he asked me if that was a good law school. I told him yes and he said he would use it as a "backup" to HYS and GULC.
I told him about my LSAT prep course teacher who scored a 175 and was going to UVA, he asked my why he was "only" going to a school like UVA with that score. He was puzzled why my teacher didn't go to GULC with that score.

The main reason GULC has such high numbers is because of their lay prestige. They have LSAT range not too far below NYU and they have a decent GPA range; all with a class size of over 500. To lay people the rankings are something like this.

1.HY
2.S
3. GULC/Columbia

I know that to a lot of URMs it goes like this

1.H/Y
2. Columbia/Stanford/GULC

conn09

Postby conn09 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:27 pm

kurama20 wrote:
dbt wrote:So let me get this straight: the two reasons Cornell has lower entering class stats are

(a) Ithaca

I can understand that then. It just seems like people would rather be at tiny Cornell which places well for most of the class than big Georgetown which might place less well if you're below the median.

A lot of people on here don't realize it for some reason ( what am I saying, it's because most people on here don't hang out with normal people) but GULC's lay prestige is massive. I've said it time and time again but people on here just don't realize how prestigious GULC is to the layman. I was talking to this guy in the honors program at my school the other day, and he has a 3.97 and is aiming for the Rhodes, and he said his top choices for law school were: HYS and GULC. He did not mention any other schools. He said that he was interested in "international law". I told him to add NYU to his list and he asked me if that was a good law school. I told him yes and he said he would use it as a "backup" to HYS and GULC.
I told him about my LSAT prep course teacher who scored a 175 and was going to UVA, he asked my why he was "only" going to a school like UVA with that score. He was puzzled why my teacher didn't go to GULC with that score.

The main reason GULC has such high numbers is because of their lay prestige. They have LSAT range not too far below NYU and they have a decent GPA range; all with a class size of over 500. To lay people the rankings are something like this.

1.HY
2.S
3. GULC/Columbia

1.H/Y

You forgot Duke

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:51 pm

As long as we're on this topic, what's with 25th% of 3.24? It's usually been ~3.5ish in the past few years.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:00 pm

kurama20 wrote:

(a) Ithaca

1.HY
2.S
3. GULC/Columbia

1.H/Y

Did you seriously just describe women as "lay people"??? That's fucking awesome.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”