What's Up With Cornell Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ub3rSlack3r

What's Up With Cornell Law?

Postby Ub3rSlack3r » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:39 pm

I notice that their 75th percentile LSAT is 168.
Cornell is obviously an awesome law school.
So does this mean Cornell is extremely high LSAT/low GPA unfriendly?
I've heard a lot of stories about how Duke is very strict about letting anyone with under a 3.6 in, is Cornell another Duke?

dbt

Re: What's Up With Cornell Law GPA?

Postby dbt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:41 pm

Not only is Cornell's LSAT range on the lower end, but the Cornell law GPA median is something like a 3.65. Duke, on the other hand, has a median LSAT of 169 (or 170) and the median GPA is 3.7x. Cornell has a lower admission rate and significantly higher yield that Duke, so no idea.

I was impressed with the interview of the Dean of Admission at Cornell Law at http://www.top-law-schools.com/geiger-interview.html

USC2009

Re: What's Up With Cornell Law?

Postby USC2009 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:48 pm

dbt wrote:Not only is Cornell's LSAT range on the lower end, but Cornell law GPA median is something like a 3.65. Duke, on the other hand, has a median LSAT of 169 (or 170) and the median GPA is 3.7x. Cornell has a lower admission rate and significantly higher yield that Duke, so no idea.

Connections to NYC? Biglaw stats?

I dunno why.

I do know that I hope to get into both Duke and Cornell though :D

philo-sophia

Postby philo-sophia » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:54 pm

dbt wrote:Not only is Cornell's LSAT range on the lower end, but it's GPA median is something like a 3.65. Duke, on the other hand, has a median LSAT of 169 (or 170) and the median GPA is 3.7x. Cornell has a lower admission rate and significantly higher yield that Duke, so no idea.

If you think about it though, it makes sense that Cornell's yield would be higher if its numerical profile is lower. There are probably a decent number of people for whom Cornell is their only T14 option. As such, their yield is high, because people want to be in the T14. Moreover, Cornell may have more applicants with lower numbers because people see the numerical profile and think they have a shot, whereas they might not bother at other T14's if they know their numbers just don't stack up. This would explain a lower acceptance rate at Cornell.

If you get into Duke, on the other hand, there's a pretty good chance you also have the option of going to Michigan, NW, UVA, GULC, Cornell...etc. Hence the lower yield for Duke admits. If your yield is lower, you have to admit more people to fill a class of roughly the same size. Hence Duke's higher acceptance rate.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:55 pm

Those are definitely some pros of Cornell. Placement stats in general are going to be very good, but that just further begs the question. If Georgetown fills a class of 450+ with 170/3.7 types, why is Cornell filling the class of 200-250 with 167/3.7 types?

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm

dbt wrote:Those are definitely some pros of Cornell. Placement stats in general are going to be very good, but that just further begs the question. If Georgetown fills a class of 450+ with 170/3.7 types, why is Cornell filling the class of 200-250 with 167/3.7 types?

Ithaca vs. DC.

Ithaca vs. DC.

Ithaca... vs..... DC....

bobjr

Postby bobjr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:01 pm

dbt wrote:Those are definitely some pros of Cornell. Placement stats in general are going to be very good, but that just further begs the question. If Georgetown fills a class of 450+ with 170/3.7 types, why is Cornell filling the class of 200-250 with 167/3.7 types?

Because nobody wants to spend three years in Ithaca.
Last edited by bobjr on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

philo-sophia

Postby philo-sophia » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:01 pm

I think this is fallout from Cornell's location. Any T14 (with the possible exception of GULC) is going to have fantastic placement in any market, and all else equal, people prefer not to spend three years in an igloo. So the people who choose Cornell are the 167/3.7 types whose other options are outside the T14. These people are willing to go to Ithaca in order to have better placement than their other options allow. People with numbers higher than that can get the placement without going to Ithaca.

bobjr

Postby bobjr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:03 pm

read: Gulag.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:12 pm

Cornell also makes it into the t-14 for other reasons than placement and class-profile. I hear the 1l there is extremely rigorous and the quality of education is great (gulag). Also it is an IVY with world-class facilities. In the end though, this may cause the placement advantage because the legal community in New York knows this.

I might add that, though this doesn't effect rankings, their lay reputation is great too. People in NYC can't believe it when I say that Cornell law is a little beneath what I am looking for. We all thought it was a pretty great UG.

In the end, what's up with Cornell is that it occupies its own niche within the t-14. It trades off location and student profile for other advantages that justify its elite categorization (if we consider the whole t-14 elite). Hence the fantastic yield.

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:16 pm

It'd be my top choice if I get accepted there.

Ithaca = awesome, plus my dog would love it there.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Also it is an IVY with world-class facilities.

Who gives a shit if it's an Ivy? It's just a sports league... a really bad sports league.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:19 pm

EmmyD wrote:

Ithaca vs. DC.

Ithaca vs. DC.

Ithaca... vs..... DC....

DC is socially as much in the wilderness as Ithaca. I remember someone calling DC "the special olympics of sex". They both would be awful places to spend three years IMO unless you aren't much fun to begin with. Then, you won't notice that DC isn't fun and will think its a real city.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Dunno what you're talking about. DC is awesome if you know where to go (hint: Not Foggy Bottom).

Ub3rSlack3r

Postby Ub3rSlack3r » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Oh yes Ithaca.
That made Cornell Undergrad pretty easy to turn down- I'll never understand my friend who had Cornell as his top choice and even applied ED there. The undergrad program seems like a stress hole but my friend seems to love that. He loves to bitch about the school for sure.
Thanks, this all really helps. I was surprised by Cornell Law's numbers because it seems to place really well in NYC and it's so small... so it could offer to be more selective than Gtown. However, the stats seem to indicate that Georgetown is more selective.
I actually go to Duke undergrad now but will probably not get into its law school due to poor grades.. :(
Last edited by Ub3rSlack3r on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:23 pm

I was just saying because its an Ivy, and because ivy's have lots of money proportionate to their size, the buildings are nice. I like nice buildings, though the Columbia law buildings are at an ivy and are hideous. Jerome L. Green sucked, whoever he is. Columbia is still my top choice.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:26 pm

I hope you aren't counting Adams-Morgan as being fun emmy. That place is a boring zoo. Dupont Circle is also gay, not literally.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:31 pm

nd because ivy's have lots of money proportionate to their size

Not every Ivy does. Brown, for instance, does not have an impressive endowment.

Also, Adams Morgan and and the Fruity Loop are fun.

libertarian

Postby libertarian » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:36 pm

Last edited by libertarian on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Is there anything impressive about Brown? I admit to having a few fun nights on adams morgan. I even admit to having fun in Georgetown even (gasp!) the waterfront. I just have a lot more fun in NYC.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:43 pm

LOL South Dakota... generally one of the states no one gives a shit about. It's about on par with North Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:45 pm

libertarian wrote:I love DC, but would gladly spend 3 years in Ithaca.

I don't know what you pussies are whining about, but I'm from Iowa and go to school in South Dakota. It gets just as cold- if not colder- here than in Ithaca. AND IT'S NOT THAT BAD.

Sure, it's no Stanford weather, but Jeeezus, guys, don't let the prospect of a snowy winter deter you from a great school!

It's all relative. I wouldn't mind living in Ithaca, but I would need to change a lot from my current situation. I mean, I grew up near Santa Barbara. I went to school at USC. I'm not exactly opposed to nice weather :P

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:46 pm

I expect to go my natural life without going to South Dakota. Ithaca is at least relevant/part of the map.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:47 pm

So let me get this straight: the two reasons Cornell has lower entering class stats are

(a) Ithaca
(b) Degree of studying required

I can understand that then. It just seems like people would rather be at tiny Cornell which places well for most of the class than big Georgetown which might place less well if you're below the median.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:51 pm

I went to school at USC. I'm not exactly opposed to nice weather

For some reason, I have a hard time believing you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”