Which Law Schools interview students??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tsukasa

Which Law Schools interview students??

Postby tsukasa » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Dear people,

In general, it seems that law schools do not interview candidates. Notable exceptions would probably be Northwestern as well as HLS(phone interview). Any other schools to add to the list? Also, if anyone has gone for any of these interviews, what were your experiences like?

Mark71121

Re: Which Law Schools interview students??

Postby Mark71121 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:07 pm

GULC and Virginia conducted interviews this cycle.

Muhammad Ali

Postby Muhammad Ali » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:00 pm

W&L.

uofmsbiggestfan

Postby uofmsbiggestfan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:42 pm

I believe Northwestern you must have an interview if you are applying ED and you can try to schedule on for EA and RD, but don't hold me to that to that second part.

jnw1184

Postby jnw1184 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Anyone who is thinking of applying to Northwestern should get their name on the interview list as soon as it is available for you to sign up. It helps a lot.

WAsRuralTransplant

Postby WAsRuralTransplant » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Does the NU interview have to be in person, or do they conduct interviews over the phone?

I'm concerned because I don't think I'll be able to afford the airfare/time to fly there and interview.

voltron

Postby voltron » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:08 pm

tsukasa wrote:Dear people,

In general, it seems that law schools do not interview candidates. Notable exceptions would probably be Northwestern as well as HLS(phone interview). Any other schools to add to the list? Also, if anyone has gone for any of these interviews, what were your experiences like?

I interviewed at UofA and ASU.

Merrill

Postby Merrill » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:13 pm

WAsRuralTransplant wrote:Does the NU interview have to be in person, or do they conduct interviews over the phone?

I'm concerned because I don't think I'll be able to afford the airfare/time to fly there and interview.

For Northwestern, you can interview with an alumnus in your area.

hefferlump

Postby hefferlump » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:16 pm

This cycle, the GULC interviews were mostly for the sort of borderline people, as an experiment. I don't know if or how they'll use interviews in future.

voltron

Postby voltron » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:55 pm

I just spoke with someone at the admission dept of UoA and asked why are some students interviewed and not others. My friend was not interviewed at UofA but was admitted. She said they have a process where they automatically reject people (filter) bc they dont meet any requirements for the school. She said that grades and scores are not the only factors that come into play. Sometimes a member of the admin team finds an applicant that they feel may be a good choice but are not completely certain and discuss whether they should be admitted or not among the other admin members. If it looks like they have potential they may decide to invite the applicant for an interview.

I guess in my case when they asked me to interview I must have been border lined.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:13 pm

voltron wrote:I just spoke with someone at the admission dept of UoA and asked why are some students interviewed and not others. My friend was not interviewed at UofA but was admitted. She said they have a process where they automatically reject people (filter) bc they dont meet any requirements for the school. She said that grades and scores are not the only factors that come into play. Sometimes a member of the admin team finds an applicant that they feel may be a good choice but are not completely certain and discuss whether they should be admitted or not among the other admin members. If it looks like they have potential they may decide to invite the applicant for an interview.

I guess in my case when they asked me to interview I must have been border lined.

If your LSAT really was a 172, what the hell did you do to become a borderline admit at UA? Write your PS in crayon?

KP429

Postby KP429 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Jsporter, you place WAY, WAY too much emphasis on the LSAT.

jnw1184

Postby jnw1184 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Merrill wrote:
WAsRuralTransplant wrote:Does the NU interview have to be in person, or do they conduct interviews over the phone?

For Northwestern, you can interview with an alumnus in your area.

Exactly. As long as you don't live in the middle of nowhere, usually there is an alum you can meet up with. The only time you would have to fly to Chicago for an on-campus interview is if you are applying early decision. It is basically a requirement. I applied early action, so it was okay for me to have my interview where I live.

voltron

Postby voltron » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:39 pm

jsporter wrote:
voltron wrote:I just spoke with someone at the admission dept of UoA and asked why are some students interviewed and not others. My friend was not interviewed at UofA but was admitted. She said they have a process where they automatically reject people (filter) bc they dont meet any requirements for the school. She said that grades and scores are not the only factors that come into play. Sometimes a member of the admin team finds an applicant that they feel may be a good choice but are not completely certain and discuss whether they should be admitted or not among the other admin members. If it looks like they have potential they may decide to invite the applicant for an interview.

If your LSAT really was a 172, what the hell did you do to become a borderline admit at UA? Write your PS in crayon?

My GPA is really low. Remember my 1.8 and my 1.6 those where included along with my final 3.4 (ugpa), but my gpa dropped a lot when they added my dental school GPA (I was in the middle of my class leaning towards the bottom third.)

uclabruins

Postby uclabruins » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:25 pm

voltron wrote: My GPA is really low. Remember my 1.8 and my 1.6 those where included along with my final 3.4 (ugpa), but my gpa dropped a lot when they added my dental school GPA (I was in the middle of my class leaning towards the bottom third.)

What are you talking about? most law schools only count undergraduate GPA... why is UofA any different?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:54 pm

uclabruins wrote:
voltron wrote: My GPA is really low. Remember my 1.8 and my 1.6 those where included along with my final 3.4 (ugpa), but my gpa dropped a lot when they added my dental school GPA (I was in the middle of my class leaning towards the bottom third.)

What are you talking about? most law schools only count undergraduate GPA... why is UofA any different?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Your LSDAS GPA would have to be atrociously low (like sub-2.5) to not be a presumptive admission at UA. I'm calling BS on the 172. Most people on TLS with 170+ LSAT are also capable of writing coherent posts.

dude

Postby dude » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:28 pm

If it is any help I do not think the OP is a liar. I am an URM and have a 169 LSAT and a 2.7 from University of Michigan and I was rejected by Michigan State...

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:33 pm

dude wrote:If it is any help I do not think the OP is a liar. I am an URM and have a 169 LSAT and a 2.7 from University of Michigan and I was rejected by Michigan State...

No one is talking about the OP.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”