AAMPLE programs-Anyone ever taken? Good/bad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chill

Bronze

Re: AAMPLE programs-Anyone ever taken? Good/bad?

Post by chill » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

romanista

New

Post by romanista » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:00 pm

I don't like posting on this site because it reminds me of my daily self-flagellation routine. Every morning in the shower I lash myself penitent style counting down from a perfect GPA and LSAT to my respective figures. The GPA part is the warmup. The LSAT part is where the pain begins. But I feel obliged to comment on this topic since I was in a similar situation to the OP; I got into a couple tier 4 schools but the "higher ranked" tier 4 school that I was aiming for admitted me to AAMPLE. My family could not afford it so I took the year off from school and studied part time while working full time and the result is that I got into that tier 4 school that originally only admitted me to AAMPLE. A program like AAMPLE should only really be considered by those who 1) have taken the LSAT at least three times and didn't get in anywhere worthwhile and 2) cannot be talked out of going to law school by anyone. If you only fulfill one (or neither) of these conditions then by all means please do not choose AAMPLE.

I know the AAMPLE defenders will say that plenty of AAMPLE graduates did great in law school, etc. But the fact is that you are paying $3500 for the chance to pay full tuition at a lower ranked school. That is, the BEST case scenario is that you spend the money and get admitted to that school and pay FULL tuition. What's the best case scenario for studying for the LSAT? In theory, the sky is the limit. You COULD get into Yale for all you know. While I would not hold my breath for an aspiration like that, it is important to remember that you can always choose that AAMPLE school with either a scholarship or no scholarship. Even if you get admitted with no scholarship, at least you save some money by means of avoiding AAMPLE, as you would have to have a pricy LSAT prep regiment to exceed $3500.

Law students and applicants should always look for ways to curb unnecessary expenses and AAMPLE is an unnecessary expense. For all the AAMPLE success stories there are many more examples of people who retook the LSAT and got in to better schools or at least got some scholarship money at the same school. I only improved my LSAT score by 2 points and that was enough to get me in at the school that previously admitted me to AAMPLE. Then my third LSAT score was three points higher than the second score so I ended up with a $5000 scholarship from the same school which I chose. So that's one grand for each point that my score went up. I know that the LSAT is a standardized test and no one really likes standardized tests (even the 170 plus club), but to concede that "I'm not a test taker" and then shell out a massive amount of money (and risk losing everything if you don't pass) is a silly decision. Unless of course you meet the two categories I mentioned earlier, and thus this thread is useless because you've already decided on law school one way or the other.

Anyway that's just my take on this subject, but I felt that I had to comment since I received sobering advice from users on this site regarding whether AAMPLE was worth it.
Last edited by romanista on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Wily wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:anybody taking aample or advocating for it is clearly retarded.
And it's not just one poor choice.

1) Too stupid to get a decent LSAT score
2) Wants to attend TTT
3) Willing to pay money for a chance at paying sticker at said TTT

Three strikes and you are out.
Well, I think that's being a bit harsh. (1) leads to 2 and 3, if someone really wants to practice law but just can't break 150, he/she is basically forced to go to a TTT for full tuition. The real question is whether everyone who really wants to practice law "deserves" to do so. And in our society today, the majority vote (based on loan programs) still appears to be yes to that question.
Deserves is not the word I'd use. No one deserves anything other than a fair chance. Ability should be the criteria that decides if you can do something or not, not financial restrictions.

vamos

New

Post by vamos » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:02 pm

chill wrote:
Wily wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:anybody taking aample or advocating for it is clearly retarded.
And it's not just one poor choice.

1) Too stupid to get a decent LSAT score
2) Wants to attend TTT
3) Willing to pay money for a chance at paying sticker at said TTT

Three strikes and you are out.
Well, I think that's being a bit harsh. (1) leads to 2 and 3, if someone really wants to practice law but just can't break 150, he/she is basically forced to go to a TTT for full tuition. The real question is whether everyone who really wants to practice law "deserves" to do so. And in our society today, the majority vote (based on loan programs) still appears to be yes to that question.
No one is forced to go to law school. I'd really like to play professional baseball, but I can't even hit Jamie Moyer-level speeds with a pitch. So, I'm not playing professional baseball.
If you were a talented enough pitcher, I'm sure some professional teams would overlook your batting average. :wink:

In all seriousness, if someone is not capable of getting a good LSAT score, they could still go on to do well in law school regardless. It's not like they can't read or reason. I think that we can agree the LSAT is not a difficult test content-wise, but what makes it difficult is the time-constraints. Finishing a few more questions in each section over the course of an entire LSAT can be the difference between attending a T1 and attending a T3 school. A good LSAT score is not a requirement to being succesful in law school, but having the ability to hit a Jaime Moyer pitch is probably required to being a succesful hitter in professional baseball.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Above poaster, quit your nonsensical ramblings while you're ahead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamos

New

Post by vamos » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:Above poaster, quit your nonsensical ramblings while you're ahead.
You must be a Jaime Moyer fan. I apologize to all the Jaime Moyer fans I may have offended out there. lol

By the way, I'm not advocating for the AAMPLE program. I'm just a big sports fan and I didn't like the Jaime Moyer analogy.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:18 pm

vamos wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Above poaster, quit your nonsensical ramblings while you're ahead.
You must be a Jaime Moyer fan. I apologize to all the Jaime Moyer fans I may have offended out there. lol

By the way, I'm not advocating for the AAMPLE program. I'm just a big sports fan and I didn't like the Jaime Moyer analogy.
I'm still confused.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:24 pm

vamos wrote:
If you were a talented enough pitcher, I'm sure some professional teams would overlook your batting average. :wink:

In all seriousness, if someone is not capable of getting a good LSAT score, they could still go on to do well in law school regardless. It's not like they can't read or reason. I think that we can agree the LSAT is not a difficult test content-wise, but what makes it difficult is the time-constraints. Finishing a few more questions in each section over the course of an entire LSAT can be the difference between attending a T1 and attending a T3 school. A good LSAT score is not a requirement to being succesful in law school, but having the ability to hit a Jaime Moyer pitch is probably required to being a succesful hitter in professional baseball.
tbh I don't think you can say you don't cut it in the MLB not getting hits off of Jaime Moyer.

Jason Kubel rocks a career 0-6 against Moyer but has still had a long, productive career. This year he's sporting a solid .369 OBP and I think it's safe to say he's a lynchpin to the D backs, whether or not he got a hit off Jaime Moyer

vamos

New

Post by vamos » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:43 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
vamos wrote:

tbh I don't think you can say you don't cut it in the MLB not getting hits off of Jaime Moyer.

Jason Kubel rocks a career 0-6 against Moyer but has still had a long, productive career. This year he's sporting a solid .369 OBP and I think it's safe to say he's a lynchpin to the D backs, whether or not he got a hit off Jaime Moyer

I'm sure he has the ability, he just hasn't done it. 6 at-bats is a small sample size. Moyer has had a great career, but at this point he's 49 years old and throws an 80 mph fastball. If you can't hit that, you don't belong in the big leagues.

One of the posters mentioned they couldn't hit a Jaime Moyer speed pitch, so they wouldn't become a professional baseball player. I agree. But you can't say someone won't do well in law school or in their law career because they got a mediocre score on the LSAT. whether or not they should attend is another question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deepbluepentium

New

Post by deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Dear fellow bloggers,

I am not your conventional law school student. I went to a non-prestigious undergraduate school and finished with a not-so impressive GPA. Taking the LSAT, I scored in the 30th percentile. The aample program gives people the opportunity to demonstrate their skill despite weaknesses in conventional law school admission metrics. My admissions staff counselor saw past my sub-par GPA and LSAT; he admired and praised at the fact that all my feats were accomplished while having a full time job, raising a family, and serving honorably overseas.

The aample program is an act in good faith that the school will vouch for you regardless of weaknesses in your application so long as you pass two courses. I cannot speak intelligently about aample courses administered from schools outside of the INFILAW network. I can claim however, based on my experience in successfully finishing aample at Charlotte Law that, the program is designed to set every student up for success. Those that want help, receive it! If you have a job, quit or take a leave of absence.

My advice for bloggers criticizing aample or "3T" schools is that while you are probably correct about many of your assumptions, discouraging someone from following a long term objective of practicing law in the manner to which you've taken online, is sophomoric and unprofessional. Mathematically, you need "3t" or "4t" schools to be considered a top law school graduate right?! Think about it. Some of us just want to sit for the bar and practice law.

My advice for potential AAMPLE students or 3T matriculants, do not be discouraged by the elitist that take to this forum only to brag about how smarter they are or how they've made the right academic decision from the day they were born. If you're in, you're in! Plus, what is the point of having a prestigious degree if you cannot exercise a fundamental virtue like humility. I've sat through many interviews and have beat out application pools with 1st tier applicants because of what i could bring to the table as a person and not what was on my transcript. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding any of the aforementioned. asaenz3@miners.utep.edu

Semper Fi!
Arvin

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:37 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:Dear fellow bloggers,

I am not your conventional law school student. I went to a non-prestigious undergraduate school and finished with a not-so impressive GPA. Taking the LSAT, I scored in the 30th percentile. The aample program gives people the opportunity to demonstrate their skill despite weaknesses in conventional law school admission metrics. My admissions staff counselor saw past my sub-par GPA and LSAT; he admired and praised at the fact that all my feats were accomplished while having a full time job, raising a family, and serving honorably overseas.

The aample program is an act in good faith that the school will vouch for you regardless of weaknesses in your application so long as you pass two courses. I cannot speak intelligently about aample courses administered from schools outside of the INFILAW network. I can claim however, based on my experience in successfully finishing aample at Charlotte Law that, the program is designed to set every student up for success. Those that want help, receive it! If you have a job, quit or take a leave of absence.

My advice for bloggers criticizing aample or "3T" schools is that while you are probably correct about many of your assumptions, discouraging someone from following a long term objective of practicing law in the manner to which you've taken online, is sophomoric and unprofessional. Mathematically, you need "3t" or "4t" schools to be considered a top law school graduate right?! Think about it. Some of us just want to sit for the bar and practice law.

My advice for potential AAMPLE students or 3T matriculants, do not be discouraged by the elitist that take to this forum only to brag about how smarter they are or how they've made the right academic decision from the day they were born. If you're in, you're in! Plus, what is the point of having a prestigious degree if you cannot exercise a fundamental virtue like humility. I've sat through many interviews and have beat out application pools with 1st tier applicants because of what i could bring to the table as a person and not what was on my transcript. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding any of the aforementioned. asaenz3@miners.utep.edu

Semper Fi!
Arvin
Do you have a job lined up after graduation?

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:tl;dr
Based on your posting history I'm guessing you're just searching Charlotte or AAMPLE and responding to every criticism -- in which case, I hope you're a Charlotte Law employee (doing something like that without being paid for it would be so sad).

AAMPLE lets you pay money for the CHANCE to spend over $200,000 for a 33% chance to get a long-term full-time legal job. Seventeen percent of Charlotte Law grads are unemployed after graduating. There is literally not a single hypothetical situation in which it's a good idea to do Charlotte's AAMPLE program.

deepbluepentium

New

Post by deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:36 pm

Yukos wrote:
Based on your posting history I'm guessing you're just searching Charlotte or AAMPLE and responding to every criticism -- in which case, I hope you're a Charlotte Law employee (doing something like that without being paid for it would be so sad).

AAMPLE lets you pay money for the CHANCE to spend over $200,000 for a 33% chance to get a long-term full-time legal job. Seventeen percent of Charlotte Law grads are unemployed after graduating. There is literally not a single hypothetical situation in which it's a good idea to do Charlotte's AAMPLE program.
I am a law school student at Charlotte Law. And to claim that there is not a single hypothetical situation in which attending Charlotte Law is a good idea is false. Unlike many young bloggers on this site, I have experience working in the proffessional job market. A JD (from anywhere aba accredited) would put you in top contention for federal employment. They are well paying careers although not your typical post-graduation route.

You said there were no situations and I just mentioned one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:50 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:19 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
Yukos wrote:

I am a law school student at Charlotte Law. And to claim that there is not a single hypothetical situation in which attending Charlotte Law is a good idea is false. Unlike many young bloggers on this site, I have experience working in the proffessional job market. A JD (from anywhere aba accredited) would put you in top contention for federal employment. They are well paying careers although not your typical post-graduation route.

Posters on a messageboard aren't bloggers. You sound like a shitboomer.

Your information about job statistics is completely wrong

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:
Yukos wrote:

Bloggers... :lol:

deepbluepentium

New

Post by deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:21 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
Yukos wrote:

And so the integrity of my argument is compromised by a mistake in online terminology. Is that how a debate is won at your respective schools?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:
Yukos wrote:

And so the integrity of my argument is compromised by a mistake in online terminology. Is that how a debate is won at your respective schools?
:lol:

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
There's not really a debate here. We have statistics and you have some made up bullshit

deepbluepentium

New

Post by deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:40 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
There's not really a debate here. We have statistics and you have some made up bullshit
In a debate there are 2 or more parties defending there opinions/views respectively. I believe because many people have engaged this topic it therefore can be labeled as a debate. I have chosen to not be vulgar or dismiss other peoples views due to many biases I may possess. Unless you have something intelligent to contribute, please feel free to read and insult someone elses ideas.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 am

deepbluepentium wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:
In a debate there are 2 or more parties defending there opinions/views respectively. I believe because many people have engaged this topic it therefore can be labeled as a debate. I have chosen to not be vulgar or dismiss other peoples views due to many biases I may possess. Unless you have something intelligent to contribute, please feel free to read and insult someone elses ideas.
Until the grammar fails in this post, your writing made me suspicious of whether you could actually be dumb enough to score in the 30th percentile on the LSAT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 am

Yukos wrote:--ImageRemoved--

deepbluepentium

New

Post by deepbluepentium » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:24 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:
Until the grammar fails in this post, your writing made me suspicious of whether you could actually be dumb enough to score in the 30th percentile on the LSAT.
I apologize for the grammar mistakes. Surely I am violating post etiquette. I am responding from a phone and so I will be more mindful of what you fine eloquent people read.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 pm

AAMPLE is a waste of time primarily because only schools not worth going to offer it. a lot of people say that they will transfer out after a year, but only a few actually manage to do so. If you suck at the LSAT, get good at it, don't try and find an easy way to get into law school by any means necessary. this type of thinking might do more harm than good.

I had two friends: One got a 140 on the LSAT first time, and the other got a 135. The one who got a 140 took that score and applied to FL Coastal's aample program, paid 500 bucks, passed it, and is currently a 1L at the school. The one who got a 135 spent about 350 of those 500 bucks on LSAT prep material, studied her ass off for 3 months straight, and scored a 161 on last year's October lsat. She currently got accepted into UF with $. I think we can all agree here that it is not impossible for someone with the level of intelligence required to graduate college with a BS/BA to be able to score at least a 160 if they put in the effort.

khanha

New

Post by khanha » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 am

I was accepted to Florida Coastal School of Law's AAMPLE program for the Summer 2011 semester. It consisted of 2 classes: Negotiable Instruments (N.I) and 4th Amendments.

I am here to tell you that you will have to study your butts off to pass. The passing rate varies from each year (last year it was 60% and the year before that was 72%).

Make sure to take good Notes make Study Guides do ALL the Practice Essay's invest time in making Flash Cards, creating Outlines, AND Rule Cards- I have majority of materials listed above. Email me anytime at: aamplehelp@gmail.com

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”